1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Frame swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Your uncle better like the back of the panel full of frame and rear suspension. I also hope that longevity runs in the family otherwise he may not live long enough to drive it. No, it's not easy and is a WHOLE LOT more than "just a few mods". More like 2-5 years of intensive work. It sounds like you are bent on attempting this, so I suggest trying to not cut up any of the panel specific parts (from the doors back) so someone can buy them for their panel after you give up.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 PM
darice
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought so how hard was it!!!! N can i het some tips or pcs or smth ill give u my personal email cuz i need to get it done asap for my uncle

Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi
Yes it can be done. I have swapped the frames on several vehicles, mostly 30's and 40's cars, by cutting the floor and welding the old body to the new frame. Using the new frame and floor and making the old body fit. I have also, when issues like the rear kick-up on the frame is a problem, cut the two frames and grafted the rear of the 55 frame to the newer front frame. If your good at fabricating and look at challenges as something to be over come and not a problem you can't figure out then go for it.
Much easier and likely faster is as other have said, swap the rear end and install a ifs off something. The Jag has been suggested. There are others that have been done hundreds and likely thousands of time. One is the chy. labaron/ ply Voltaire. You can change one of them out is long weekend and be driving it. There are many options, so my advice would be don't start something you don't have the ability and skill to finish. Don't let someone else's lack of ability or skill to do something like this, prevent you from doing it if you have the skill.
Good luck what ever you decide do.

Here is a link to a friend that is a very good fabricator and a vehicle he is building from scratch.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...cab-build.html

Larry

Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by darice
I thought so how hard was it!!!! N can i het some tips or pcs or smth ill give u my personal email cuz i need to get it done asap for my uncle
Man it is hard to read your post's. Are you just lazy or never learned the language?

Take a little more time and Spell It Out Please.

This is a forum not a cell phone.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Here's a picture of the inside of my panel, as you can see I have no room for anything because it is chocked full of frame and rear suspension. This was an 8 year project for a no experienced first time builder. I worked on it in my spare time and lost a couple years total due to health issues. I enjoyed all the time I spent doing it because there was no time restraints on it. Don't be discouraged by any negitive comments. I know for a fact that some projects take decades to complete the require less work than what you are thinking to accomplish. Keeping the original frame will save you time. I also wasted many hours sitting in front of this screen reading and posting on here that could have completed my project much quicker but like I said I was enjoying the time out in the shop.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
I forgot to mention that I used a 72 CHEVY C10 chassis for my swap.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There is a world of difference in the shape of the frame and rear suspension between a pickup chassis (C-10) and a sedan based SUV chassis (explorer) Using the former as an example of the other is like saying if you make my apple pie recipe using oranges it will look and taste the same!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Man it is hard to read your post's. Are you just lazy or never learned the language?

Take a little more time and Spell It Out Please.

This is a forum not a cell phone.

Originally Posted by 56panelford

Here's a picture of the inside of my panel, as you can see I have no room for anything because it is chocked full of frame and rear suspension. This was an 8 year project for a no experienced first time builder. I worked on it in my spare time and lost a couple years total due to health issues. I enjoyed all the time I spent doing it because there was no time restraints on it. Don't be discouraged by any negitive comments. I know for a fact that some projects take decades to complete the require less work than what you are thinking to accomplish. Keeping the original frame will save you time. I also wasted many hours sitting in front of this screen reading and posting on here that could have completed my project much quicker but like I said I was enjoying the time out in the shop.
WOW!! That looks really nice, I wonder what it would look like without all that clutter!!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:22 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Please excuse my ignorance,when I first read the opening to the thread ,frame swap had my attension. With so many on here saying that they generally end in the trash I had to mention that I did it, I then reposted again to say that the chassis I used was a c10. Many times a new comer comes to join the group only to hear negative responses and then they disappear.My point being is that frame swaps are possible when throughly thougt out and planned and perhaps with some guidance and advice from the knowledgable members on this site of which I do not claim to be.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
John I agree with you.

And I do believe the C10 chassis has just as much kick up in the rear frame section as the Explorer. If not more.

It would take some work( most builds do ) but it can be done. Just ad a raised rear floor. It's just a few inches, it's not like it's a foot and half of kick up. If I was going to do it I would probably use the entire Explorer floor pan. And graft it into the panel body shell.

Here's some Explorer frame pics.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:34 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Thanks for posting the pics of the explorer frame as it doesn't look much different than the c10

Here is my frame before I set the body on it, the world is smaller after all

Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Many times a new comer comes to join the group only to hear negative responses and then they disappear.My point being is that frame swaps are possible when throughly thougt out and planned and perhaps with some guidance and advice from the knowledgable members on this site of which I do not claim to be.
While I do respect your thoughts and opinion, the fact is most newcomers that come here start out by telling us what they're going to do, without a clue as to how to do it or what it takes to do it, then ask us how to do it. After building cars and trucks for over 30 years, most of the plans these guys come up with I'd never attempt myself. I'm certainly not going to encourage half-baked car building plans. When they ask the way they do, it's pretty clear they don't have the experience and skill level to pull off such a feat.

Your build is an exception to the rule and I commend you on your truck. It's beautiful in those pictures. But we've all seen the hundreds of hacked up messes that will be sold for scrap or pennies on the dollar because the mess made is too far gone to resurrect.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 PM
darice
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i am here just trying to get ideas here and see the best route to take wether your opinions are positive or negative i appreciate them but theres no need to look down on my rhoughts because i can put it on my life this truck will be done by me i may not have the experience some of u have bu i have heart n i will finish it

Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
While I do respect your thoughts and opinion, the fact is most newcomers that come here start out by telling us what they're going to do, without a clue as to how to do it or what it takes to do it, then ask us how to do it. After building cars and trucks for over 30 years, most of the plans these guys come up with I'd never attempt myself. I'm certainly not going to encourage half-baked car building plans. When they ask the way they do, it's pretty clear they don't have the experience and skill level to pull off such a feat.

Your build is an exception to the rule and I commend you on your truck. It's beautiful in those pictures. But we've all seen the hundreds of hacked up messes that will be sold for scrap or pennies on the dollar because the mess made is too far gone to resurrect.
But instead of telling everyone it's a horrible idea right from the get go. Why not ask what their experience/skill level is before bashing their ideas. That way you might determine whether it's a 13 year old kid with big ideas or a person that owns or works in a custom fab shop.

And I don't consider an Explorer frame swap a "half-baked" build plan. Now if they were to say they planned to get it done over a weekend then yea it would be a half-baked idea.

Sometimes there is way too much negativity in this forum, when it comes to others build plans. There is more then one way to build these trucks. The differences in the builds it what keeps things interesting. And this is a hobby that is suppose to be fun/enjoyable. I just think advice could be given without being quite as negative. This is just my opinion.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by darice
Is this possible i know t can be done with a pick up but a panel?
Anything can be done with the right amount of time talent and treasure. It also depends upon the condition of the vehicle with which you are starting. But if it is in decent shape there are so many aftermarket parts engineered to fit your '56 that it is probably easier to just modify what you have. The end result has the potential to be better.

Even if you use a newer frame the donor vehicle like an explorer has been used and you will probably end up installing new brakes, shocks, tires, wheels, ball joints (or king pins), tie rod ends, bushings and maybe even springs. All those parts are available for your '56 in a large variety of new and improved forms.

Then there is the option to go the route that a lot of FTEr's have gone by installing IFS front and some have even done the rear. All the instructions on how to do it are here on FTE. You can even ask the authors questions in most cases.

The unique part of your vehicle is the panel body. IMHO I would spend your time, talent and treasure there.

Quick Reply: Frame swap