Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Dave

Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
David LaRose
I sure don't call mine a rat rod! In fact I get mad when people do.But paint and interior are not in budget for now...
Attached Images

Last edited by Olweldinrig; 12-31-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olweldinrig View Post
I sure don't call mine a rat rod! In fact I get mad when people do.But paint and interior are no in budget for now...
To me, yours is a hot rod, not a rat rod. And I think it looks great just like it is.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Dave

Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
David LaRose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
To me, yours is a hot rod, not a rat rod. And I think it looks great just like it is.
Thanks Joe!Maybe after the house and the big 56 M500 are rollin I'll get back on it.
Still missing one garnish moulding for a drivers door if anyone in Ford world has one?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
Dang!! You mean I didn't have to do all the work on my vehicles and would have been just as cool?!!! I guess I put a lot of wasted time in my F-2 and now the '37 Buick. DANG!!!
Attached Images

48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Elder User

drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj49f2 View Post
Dang!! You mean I didn't have to do all the work on my vehicles and would have been just as cool?!!! I guess I put a lot of wasted time in my F-2 and now the '37 Buick. DANG!!!
Nope, you would of been cooler!

Funny Bob I spoke you a few times online when I was building the 37, I didnt know you were such a hater, that's too bad. I can appreciate what it takes to restore a car or truck back to stock original, it just isnt for me.

I have a lot of fun with my cars, if you are in my area just stay out of the left lane cause the "unsafe scrap" 47 caddy with the LT1, 4L60E, and 3:08 gears just might run ya over
Old 12-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Senior User

Holehawgg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drptop70ss View Post
I like my rats, lots of fun to drive

Around here those are called potential...
Just wish they were easier to find.
Not bad for someone raised on C****s
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gicknordon View Post
I really like that style. Everytme i see one at a show i have to go look at it. I really want to do a build like that but its hard to find a car in this area where the paint is in bad shape but the body is still solid enough i wouldnt have to fix a million holes and ruin the look.
Amen to that! Pa is no place to find vehicles with patina-ed paint with solid metal. I see you are in Berks.... I used to live in Ephrata.

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by drptop70ss View Post
Funny Bob I spoke you a few times online when I was building the 37, I didnt know you were such a hater, that's too bad.
I'm not a hater, just have my opinion. I've seen your posts on the internet about your Buick, it's a lot of work and can serve as a prime example of a modern chassis swap that can be done. The rat rods I've seen, and I really don't consider your car a rat rod, are a conglomeration of rusty junk gob welded together with no sense of safety, only shock value. If a person wants to weld a bunch of rusty, jagged metal together and set I on their front lawn for the entire world to see I say let them do it, but please, don't drive it down the street at 60 mph and especially if it's coming toward me and mine. The other thing I have against these contraptions of death is it just fuels the arguments of the government bureaucrats who seem to be constantly waging a war to get old vehicles off the road and make our hobby more costly and harder to enjoy. The death trap contraptions with jagged, rusty parts and pieces that are not safe to use, like socket U-joints on steering shafts and parts of wrenches in place of tie rods are used as prime examples of why old cars shouldn't be on the road. The unknowing can't, or won't, differentiate between rat rods and carefully crafted vehicles, they just see an old car.

I also like shiny paint and polished chrome. I figure if I'm going to put a lot of work into something I might as well make it look nice. Paint can be expensive or it can be done cheap by using hardware store paint. IMO, again, my opinion, a car covered in a cheap coat of hardware store paint looks a lot better than a layer of rust.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Original Hot Rods.
Attached Images

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 12-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Senior User

wallster has a good reputation on FTE.wallster has a good reputation on FTE.
If you want a vehicle to move your can from point A to point B, then most cheap four bangers will reliably and efficiently do the trick. The vehicles we are all enthusiastic about are based on design, (art if you will), and the simplicity of the past. Which factor makes your motor run depends on you and your taste. I believe creativity plays a huge roll in the Rat Rod world. Making something out of almost nothing, a bunch of miscellaneous parts that have no business coming together to form a mode of transportation. Ironically, the reason some of us hate them is the same reason some of us love them.
I've seen some that I've considered really neat and others that I thought were a waste of someone elses time and money but that's how artwork is... subjective.

Good post.

Wally

"No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck"
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Bob, your before and after shots show that you've put a lot of time (and money) into those vehicles. And your F2 looks great!

But in some of these "unfinished" rides, I can also see beauty in the before shots. Maybe some of them never get a pretty paint job, and maybe that's the way the owner likes it.

I hope to some day either learn to do the needed body work on Betsy, or pay someone to do it. I'd prefer to learn. And if she ever gets a nice paint job, I'll have to buy that. Maybe I can save money doing the prep work.

I haven't seen anything identified as a rat rod that I care for, but that's just my taste.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Bob, your before and after shots show that you've put a lot of time (and money) into those vehicles. And your F2 looks great!
I actually don't think I have a lot of money in any of my vehicles. I never keep an exact tally of the money I have put into my projects. The rough estimate for the F-2 is about $3K but that was about 20-30 years ago over a ten year period for the initial restoration, I did all of the work on the truck myself including body and paint. The Buick is probably about the same so far with maybe that much again until it's finished. In today's money it will work out about the same as the F-2.

What I find funny is when people find out I own four old vehicles they right away think I'm worth a small fortune and many make comments about them. If only they knew I start out with old beat up relics no one else would want and put a lot of work into them. I also keep the cost down quite a bit by not only doing all the work myself but doing a lot of horse trading for parts. I have been extremely lucky when it comes to buying parts vehicles, getting parts I need and selling off what I don't need.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Postmaster

yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Original Hot Rods.
Great pic
Old 01-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Posting Guru

firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bob , don't go rogue on us .!! You should have seen some of the heaps at Daytona this yr. Happy New Year to you & your faimly .
1994 Dodge Ram Van ( the work truck ) ,1993 Dakota w/ 44k mi.,1952 F-1 the 1ST-RIDE ,23 T-Roadster w/ 426 wedge bored to 440 (85 % done ) ,1952 F-1 stock (under const) "Those of you who think you know it all are really annoying to those of us who do " Mark Donahue or Roger Penske Indy '71
Old 01-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
I actually don't think I have a lot of money in any of my vehicles. I never keep an exact tally of the money I have put into my projects. The rough estimate for the F-2 is about $3K but that was about 20-30 years ago over a ten year period for the initial restoration, I did all of the work on the truck myself including body and paint.
Well, your F2 LOOKS like you have a lot invested in it. A good paint job makes just about anything look better. And since you did that paint yourself, kudos to you.

I'm no painter, and I would probably just waste a lot of paint trying to do it.

I have kept exact records of every penny I've spent on my truck. And I'm nowhere near "the end", but at least it's drivable today.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks