1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: The problem with rat rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Every time I have the chance I tell them "The first time I saw someone that looks like you I wasn't impressed, nor am I now - You are dismissed."
You tell 'em Dick!!

LOL

Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
so when I show up at Docs next year in this........

1956 Ford f100

I'll write you a prescription for some burn cream for your ***, because you'll need it if you drive that sled to Kentucky.

Did you see that second picture? That was a beautiful yellow 56......just shakin my head.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Those are not considered to be rat rods around here. They are still identifiable. Huge difference between your vehicles and that cap wedge with wheels. I want to see that "skinny" boy in the overalls climb in that thing.
Yeah I know, my cars are more of "patina" rods since they are basically street rods with no paint. I cant bring myself to build some of the stuff I have seen at the shows, if it isnt a safe reliable car I dont want to drive it. On the flipside I have seen some pretty cool stuff as well, when there are no rules you can come up with some neat ideas once in awhile. Mine are actually restored where you cant see them. The guys that turn their noses up without really looking are missing out IMO. I would say the reaction to mine on the road and at shows is 95 percent positive and 5 percent negative. I got bored of doing musclecars and wanted to build something different so I built them.
This is the caddy chassis and underside, Buick went through the same restoration where you cant see it.

The trend is moving away from junk and more towards safe drivable cars which is good, take a look at some and you may get some cool ideas.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
so when I show up at Docs next year in this........

1956 Ford f100

Too bad, looked like a decent truck before they screwed it up! The before picture looks better than the after.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM
dav54effie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought it was limbo at first! so im going to guess that sitting up straight isnt an option.. unless your 4' 5"..
oh well different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
that isn't talked about:
And here I thought you were going to say it doesn't have spider webs!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Did you see that second picture? That was a beautiful yellow 56......just shakin my head.
That's just what I was thinking. He took a beautiful truck messed up the chop and gave up. I wonder what the hood looks like now.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
That is what I love about this planet and it's occupants, it's to each their own.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Yeah I know, my cars are more of "patina" rods since they are basically street rods with no paint. I cant bring myself to build some of the stuff I have seen at the shows, if it isnt a safe reliable car I dont want to drive it. On the flipside I have seen some pretty cool stuff as well, when there are no rules you can come up with some neat ideas once in awhile. Mine are actually restored where you cant see them. The guys that turn their noses up without really looking are missing out IMO. I would say the reaction to mine on the road and at shows is 95 percent positive and 5 percent negative. I got bored of doing musclecars and wanted to build something different so I built them.
This is the caddy chassis and underside, Buick went through the same restoration where you cant see it.

The trend is moving away from junk and more towards safe drivable cars which is good, take a look at some and you may get some cool ideas.
Patina rod would be a much better term for your cars. Since you have shown us that, you can't stop now. What did you do with the interior and dash? I'm imagining a somewhat beat up original style interior with some little clues that the underneath is top of the line.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 AM
Aus56
Elder User
That bloke crawling into that rat rod, how could he possibly see through that little windshield and past that engine to drive safely? He would be better off cutting the roof out and driving with his body sticking out of the top. He'd look like Fred Flintstone.

It's a crime what the other bloke did to that nice yellow 56, and Dave, I think your patina queens look great, and well done mechanically, nice work, I love the beater look.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
I like my rats, lots of fun to drive

I really like that style. Everytme i see one at a show i have to go look at it. I really want to do a build like that but its hard to find a car in this area where the paint is in bad shape but the body is still solid enough i wouldnt have to fix a million holes and ruin the look.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Looks like it draws a crowd. My son said, "it's custom, but not the cool kind". There's a guy locally who shows up sometimes. Mid 70's gm frame and running gear. No body. Dual rear skinny tires with Ben Hur spikes. Four bucket seats, not much floor to speak of. Re-bar roll cage with chrome spikes. Expanded metal sheet to keep the passengers inside. All the typical rat rod parts, tractor grill etc. It's a danger just to get close, you might scrape your self on a rusted chrome spike. It draws a crowd, too.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:04 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
Looks like it draws a crowd. My son said, "it's custom, but not the cool kind". There's a guy locally who shows up sometimes. Mid 70's gm frame and running gear. No body. Dual rear skinny tires with Ben Hur spikes. Four bucket seats, not much floor to speak of. Re-bar roll cage with chrome spikes. Expanded metal sheet to keep the passengers inside. All the typical rat rod parts, tractor grill etc. It's a danger just to get close, you might scrape your self on a rusted chrome spike. It draws a crowd, too.
So would a train wreck!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At least he didn't use widowmakers for the wheels.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
I really like that style. Everytme i see one at a show i have to go look at it. I really want to do a build like that but its hard to find a car in this area where the paint is in bad shape but the body is still solid enough i wouldnt have to fix a million holes and ruin the look.
There is no way up here in the north east to not have to fix rust holes in anything older, just have to do it, not hard to "blend" the patina look (if it can even be called blending!) I got lucky in that my cars all the rust was in the floors, trunks, rockers, etc. so I could fix it all without changing the outside much. Here are a few shots of the 37 Buick and 47 Caddy, I dont want to clutter up a Ford site with this stuff so I will post links to my photobucket albums if anyone wants to see more.

Here are the links

47 Cadillac Rat Rod Photos by drptop70ss | Photobucket cadillac rat rod?
37 Buick Rat Rod Photos by drptop70ss | Photobucket buick rat rod?

Quick Reply: OT: The problem with rat rods