Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford View Post
Every time I have the chance I tell them "The first time I saw someone that looks like you I wasn't impressed, nor am I now - You are dismissed."
You tell 'em Dick!!

LOL
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100 View Post
so when I show up at Docs next year in this........

1956 Ford f100

I'll write you a prescription for some burn cream for your ***, because you'll need it if you drive that sled to Kentucky.

Did you see that second picture? That was a beautiful yellow 56......just shakin my head.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2008 F250 XLT, 6.4L Powerstroke
2011 Expedition EL
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Elder User

drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Those are not considered to be rat rods around here. They are still identifiable. Huge difference between your vehicles and that cap wedge with wheels. I want to see that "skinny" boy in the overalls climb in that thing.
Yeah I know, my cars are more of "patina" rods since they are basically street rods with no paint. I cant bring myself to build some of the stuff I have seen at the shows, if it isnt a safe reliable car I dont want to drive it. On the flipside I have seen some pretty cool stuff as well, when there are no rules you can come up with some neat ideas once in awhile. Mine are actually restored where you cant see them. The guys that turn their noses up without really looking are missing out IMO. I would say the reaction to mine on the road and at shows is 95 percent positive and 5 percent negative. I got bored of doing musclecars and wanted to build something different so I built them.
This is the caddy chassis and underside, Buick went through the same restoration where you cant see it.

The trend is moving away from junk and more towards safe drivable cars which is good, take a look at some and you may get some cool ideas.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Elder User

smallello has a good reputation on FTE.smallello has a good reputation on FTE.smallello has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100 View Post
so when I show up at Docs next year in this........

1956 Ford f100

Too bad, looked like a decent truck before they screwed it up! The before picture looks better than the after.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 PM
elder user

dav54effie has a good reputation on FTE.dav54effie has a good reputation on FTE.
i thought it was limbo at first! so im going to guess that sitting up straight isnt an option.. unless your 4' 5"..
oh well different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 AM
Elder User

1952henry is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
that isn't talked about:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
And here I thought you were going to say it doesn't have spider webs!

Gorebal warming, climate change, gorebal climate disruption. Repackaged crap is, well, still crap!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Did you see that second picture? That was a beautiful yellow 56......just shakin my head.
That's just what I was thinking. He took a beautiful truck messed up the chop and gave up. I wonder what the hood looks like now.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Senior User

Normalbloke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Normalbloke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That is what I love about this planet and it's occupants, it's to each their own.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by drptop70ss View Post
Yeah I know, my cars are more of "patina" rods since they are basically street rods with no paint. I cant bring myself to build some of the stuff I have seen at the shows, if it isnt a safe reliable car I dont want to drive it. On the flipside I have seen some pretty cool stuff as well, when there are no rules you can come up with some neat ideas once in awhile. Mine are actually restored where you cant see them. The guys that turn their noses up without really looking are missing out IMO. I would say the reaction to mine on the road and at shows is 95 percent positive and 5 percent negative. I got bored of doing musclecars and wanted to build something different so I built them.
This is the caddy chassis and underside, Buick went through the same restoration where you cant see it.

The trend is moving away from junk and more towards safe drivable cars which is good, take a look at some and you may get some cool ideas.
Patina rod would be a much better term for your cars. Since you have shown us that, you can't stop now. What did you do with the interior and dash? I'm imagining a somewhat beat up original style interior with some little clues that the underneath is top of the line.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Senior User

Aus56 has a good reputation on FTE.Aus56 has a good reputation on FTE.
That bloke crawling into that rat rod, how could he possibly see through that little windshield and past that engine to drive safely? He would be better off cutting the roof out and driving with his body sticking out of the top. He'd look like Fred Flintstone.

It's a crime what the other bloke did to that nice yellow 56, and Dave, I think your patina queens look great, and well done mechanically, nice work, I love the beater look.
My old girl has the original look, which I do love. It does have a few mods, but I think it is only lightly toasted. I would like to customise the body of my truck, but don't have the nerve, the skill or the money to do significant custom panel work rebuild. Long live the darkside and those with the courage to travel there.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by drptop70ss View Post
I like my rats, lots of fun to drive

I really like that style. Everytme i see one at a show i have to go look at it. I really want to do a build like that but its hard to find a car in this area where the paint is in bad shape but the body is still solid enough i wouldnt have to fix a million holes and ruin the look.
1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Posting Guru

rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks like it draws a crowd. My son said, "it's custom, but not the cool kind". There's a guy locally who shows up sometimes. Mid 70's gm frame and running gear. No body. Dual rear skinny tires with Ben Hur spikes. Four bucket seats, not much floor to speak of. Re-bar roll cage with chrome spikes. Expanded metal sheet to keep the passengers inside. All the typical rat rod parts, tractor grill etc. It's a danger just to get close, you might scrape your self on a rusted chrome spike. It draws a crowd, too.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Postmaster

White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopper View Post
Looks like it draws a crowd. My son said, "it's custom, but not the cool kind". There's a guy locally who shows up sometimes. Mid 70's gm frame and running gear. No body. Dual rear skinny tires with Ben Hur spikes. Four bucket seats, not much floor to speak of. Re-bar roll cage with chrome spikes. Expanded metal sheet to keep the passengers inside. All the typical rat rod parts, tractor grill etc. It's a danger just to get close, you might scrape your self on a rusted chrome spike. It draws a crowd, too.
So would a train wreck!
1997 F-250 HD Extended cab, long bed, 5.8L, E4OD.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
At least he didn't use widowmakers for the wheels.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Elder User

drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gicknordon View Post
I really like that style. Everytme i see one at a show i have to go look at it. I really want to do a build like that but its hard to find a car in this area where the paint is in bad shape but the body is still solid enough i wouldnt have to fix a million holes and ruin the look.
There is no way up here in the north east to not have to fix rust holes in anything older, just have to do it, not hard to "blend" the patina look (if it can even be called blending!) I got lucky in that my cars all the rust was in the floors, trunks, rockers, etc. so I could fix it all without changing the outside much. Here are a few shots of the 37 Buick and 47 Caddy, I dont want to clutter up a Ford site with this stuff so I will post links to my photobucket albums if anyone wants to see more.

Here are the links

47 Cadillac Rat Rod Photos by drptop70ss | Photobucket cadillac rat rod?
37 Buick Rat Rod Photos by drptop70ss | Photobucket buick rat rod?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM