Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Matseffie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift kits

Can some one tell me will the lift kits from the US fit over here ??
Or we're I can get a 6-8 inch lift over here ??
I have a 03 crew cab 7.3 ltr

Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Hi Matt.
I have 2.5" lift via the springs and another 3" via shackles and block sourced from the States.
pics and write up here
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-write-up.html
Also I think Bryan (Nkelly) has a full arbagit lift kit for sale. (tongue in cheek). Seriously, speek to him about the airbag option. He has done alot of research.
To answer your question. It depends on what you end up going for. Some bolt on kits are just that and some are not. Problem with the are nots is you dont find out until you pay the money wait the shipping time and start putting them on ya truck. Do your research ask alot of questions. Also speak to Clay from Riffraff before you decide to order anything.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Hahah NO the airbag is going back on in the future when all this other BS out of the way ..

Gday matt,dont buy a lift kit here in aus you'll get ripped off.

Go to Complete Suspension Systems - ICON Vehicle Dynamics and have a look..
Ive bought stuff from here also - Complete Suspension Systems and Lift Kits

And another spot you can compare prices Skyjacker Lift Kits - Skyjacker Lift Kits w/ Struts, Shocks & Springs - 10+ Skyjacker Suspension Lift Reviews

As far as full airbag suspension goes..

This guy has a very nice setup but I haven't been able too get hold of him
Ultimate Air Ride
Also u got this guy who is up there in price
Lift Kits | Kelderman

I got my airbag sus from this mob,i had some issues with the control system so I took it all off and put my spring suspension back on because I needed the truck for work,but its def going back on in the near future now that I know what is needed to make it perfect... You cant beat the ride ..
ridetech, airride, airlift, air suspension kits, fbss

So there's a few idea's matt,dont hesitate to ask futher questions,because there's many ways you can go and it gets a bit confusing

Old 01-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Matseffie
Freshman User
Matseffie

Thanks guys for the info ,, do the pitment arms fit from the US a swell ??
Is there any one who can freight a lift over ??
If I fitt a 6 inch lift wat do I have to mod if any to make it fit ?.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:52 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

6" shouldnt need any mods.
However your drag link will be at full adjustment. The USA pitman arm doesnt have the extra whole in it for the right hand drive. You can see on your dummy box that it has to arms connecting to it.
Seafreight I use USAtoAUS. Airfreight UPS.
Rocket spares (here in AUS) sell a full right hand drive steering kit for around $1000. With that you can use the pitman arm from the States because you are eliminating that dummy box and the Draglink will need less adjustment.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Matseffie
Freshman User
Hi Brian , I'm looking at the pro comp 6.5 lift in the US , do you no anyone that mite have this kit and has fitted it ?.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Will you get yourself in strife using that much lift?

Just thinking that the new vehicle mod rules pretty much made anything over 2 inch of lift illegal, hence why all the 4 and 6 inch kits for fourbys are now sold as "off road use only".

Brian, how do you go with the airbags as far as the " normal ride height" setting for rego ( downtravel dimensions, bumpstop clearance limits etc), do you have to have a special controller?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad from Oz
Will you get yourself in strife using that much lift?

Just thinking that the new vehicle mod rules pretty much made anything over 2 inch of lift illegal, hence why all the 4 and 6 inch kits for fourbys are now sold as "off road use only".

Brian, how do you go with the airbags as far as the " normal ride height" setting for rego ( downtravel dimensions, bumpstop clearance limits etc), do you have to have a special controller?
Our vehicle regulations are the most retarded of any place on earth. There is no consistency, live in Albury where you vehicle is legal, you can cross the river to Victoria, and suddenly your rig is illegal. Not to mention it encourages people to do stupid ****, like fit body lifts, because most regs allow you to fit up to a 50mm suspension lift and a 50mm body lift, from an engineering standpoint - particularly in the day and age of airbags - that is 50 times less safe than just sticking 100mm of suspension lift under it.
And I can get around every reg in the book by importing a vehicle as a personal import and all I need is a couple of wheels, some seats and some child restraint points.

Anyway, rant over, but the system is stupid.

The reality of it is, yes, in most states you will technically be illegal if you fit anything more than a 2" suspension kit, but the good thing about F-series, is unlike the standard rigs (Patrols/Landcruisers/Hiluxes) which the authorities are familiar with, they won't know the standard ride height of our trucks, and the document that they would reference for it (RVCS) is no longer published for Ford imported F-Series: Certification Unit Search
(and unless they have an old copy on them, they won't be able to confirm that you are lifted)

So the chances of
a. Being identified as modified
b. Being able to confirm that you are modified
if your vehicle is already registered is close to non-existent

So yes, you are doing something that is most likely illegal, but until they change their stupid policies to something that have a bit more common sense attached to, I personally wouldn't feel too guilty violating them.

That said, the main issue is insurance, so you may want to check with your insurance if you would be covered, because the standard policies will put you at fault (and not covered) if you have any illegal modifications in the event of any accident. That includes a drunk driver driving on the wrong side of the road and running into you head on - chances are you will still be liable in the eyes of the law, and in circumstances like that, is when they really will check if you have vehicle mods.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

You are right Adrian. Insurance wont cover you. As matter of fact theres pretty much nothing legal on my truck. I think the only thing that is stock is the steering wheel. Matt, you gotta a link to the kit you are looking at ??

Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Yes we know these insurance companies,they'll find anything too wriggle out of paying...

Inregards too Adrian talking about the law,yesty I got caught for speeding (mind not on the job) a highway patrol got me for 94 in a 80,pulled me over he asked my reason for speeding,said I was day dreaming then he said:geez this thing is a beast and yacked to me for a few minutes about me Ftruck walked all around it, then wrote out the ticket but dropped the speed, he did me for 1 point and $180 instead of 3 points and $300..

Not a mention about it being roadworthy,mine has a 5" lift,it looks higher in the ****..

Matt how long before you buy your suspension,because im having problems with procomp,i had a set of fully adjustable's shocks and they all leaked,completely farked,so I sent them a email and they handballed me here too procomp in aussie,but these farkheads are useless and they are about too get a serving off me today and most likely have to pursue USA branch again...

I'll let u know what happens.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Matseffie
Freshman User
hi Brian the link I got from NKelly, COMPLETE SUSPENSION SYSTEMS.. its on his post ..

Old 01-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Matseffie
Freshman User
NKelly, still looking at the moment don't no witch way to go ???thinking may the procomp 6.5 lift with all the bits ..I have the 4 shocks in the rear do they supply all the shocks needed ??trying to work out delivery to me here in syd,sent them a email yesterday havnt heard anything as yet ...let me no how u go with the shocks ,what brand wer they??

mat..

Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Brian, nice one on getting a let off on the ticket. Its better being able to actually speak to the copper than being sent a letter from a revenue camera

My personal thoughts on the lift kits (and I don't know what Bryan's experience is - sounds not to pleasant), I would look to Carli and Icon - they make the benchmark in terms of quality, although both a little pricy. I don't think Carli makes anything for the front leaf spring trucks though, which means Icon in my mind are the best available bet.

Mat, as for the shocks on the rear, all the US lift kits will only include 2 shocks (the 2 inner ones). Aus delivered trucks are the only ones that got 4 shocks, because of the rough roads we have, the rear axle doesn't mind dancing around with the pretty crappy standard shocks when you only fit 2. As long as your lift kit includes decent shockies, you can get away with just running the 2 inboard shocks like the US trucks do.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Matseffie
Freshman User
Has any1 had a look at the tuff dog 4 inch kit ???

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Adrian, nice rant you are spot on about the retarded regs, we spent all this coin on a national set of vehicle mod regs to align the states, then the damn states go and pick and choose which bits of the national code they will adopt! So we are back to square 1

Good to know they don't have a reference point for the modern f trucks, like you said it makes it very hard for them to establish a breach. As long as you meet the dimensions for down travel and bumpstop clearance etc. you should never have a drama.

Brian, it's good you got a highway patrol officer, most of them are car guys and in my experience they are very reasonable.

Quick Reply: Lift kits