Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior User

Amelio is starting off with a positive reputation.
4 wheel fun....gearing is awesome!!!

So yesterday on my way back from the store I pulled into a large empty field. I wanted to engage the 4 wheel drive to give the transfer case some use and make sure everything was working properly. I don't hardly use my 4 wheel drive....I think I have actually needed it twice in the past year since I bought the truck and it was not because I was stuck but more so to keep from tire spin and tearing up my friends yard lol.

The past 2 times I used it I used 4WH....I have not used the low at all. Well I pulled into this field and engaged the high side and just drove around did some big figure 8's just to make sure everything was in order. I climbed a few hills just to play.

Then I switched to the low and the gearing is crazy......just for fun I stabbed the throttle and holy crap.....this truck surprised the hell outta me. The gearing is so low and the engine makes such good power it pined me in the seat............lots of fun
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Yup, and your transfer case has like 2.6 or 2.9:1 gearing in LOW - which means if you have, for example, a 3.73 rear/front gearing, putting in LOW gives you a 10:1 gear.

Of course, you are severely limited on high speed travel
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Senior User

troverman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Low range reduction is 2.72:1 in low, which is not bad for a modern 4x4 (although the NVG 271 / 273 t-cases in these things have been around for a long time)...but be advised you total reduction is based upon three things...the ratio of your transmission's 1st gear, the transfer low range ratio, and your axle ratio. Fortunately the 6-speed transmission in these trucks has a nice short 1st gear ratio. But a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has a 4:1 low ratio gear, etc.
2012 Ford F-250 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 6.2L V8, 18" alloys, manual locking hubs, 3.73 with locker. Retrofitted factory navi, audio amp, roof antenna, full-function leather steering wheel, autolamp, remote start, Sync system, auto climate control, auto-dimming mirror.
1999 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic, 88ci EFI Stage 2
Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8