Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PMR question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Will104
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PMR question

Recently picked up an 02 psd and i was wondering if there are any other parts i need to change out other than the rods before i start upgrading all opinions welcome and appreciated

thanks,
-will

Old 12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I think the general opinion is over 425ish HP the PMRs will not live long. But some run up to 480 HP on PMRs with very custom tunes. What is your HP target and how do you plan to use the truck?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
It's gonna take some money in mods and supporting mods to get you to the point of needing to swap out your rods. First off 450 REAR WHEEL HP is where most limit the truck but I would do 400. To get you there is a good chunk of change... But not too bad. That first 100 Hp is so cheap and easy to get it's easy to want more and more.
As David said what are your real world plans for the truck? You could have a 900 HP dyno queen if you want or a realistic 400-500 Hp DD.
To add to that if your truck is an automatic and you want HP... Factor in a good chunk of change for another one.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:33 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
You DO realize what is involved in replacing the powdered metal rods with the forged steel ones, right?

It's far from the "swap" people talk about doing all the time.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Will104
Cross-Country
Thumbs down

Hi David My target is 500rwhp and its use will be very diverse hauler, work truck and toy, i have a big block 350 thats my daily but i may drive the psd more when its done.

John, the rig i picked up has a zf6 so that really cuts the build cost down, what kind of intake did you get ?

Cleatus the pan has to be done so it has to come out and wouldn't that be the time to increase the reliability of the motor, and what else is involved? i was thinking of a possible rebuild kit and some machine work but i would like to avoid that,i rather spend the funds on extra hp and i'm looking at stage 2's, t500, 38r or h2e, intercooler, radiator, and the usual small stuff

Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Will104
Hi David My target is 500rwhp and its use will be very diverse hauler, work truck and toy, i have a big block 350 thats my daily but i may drive the psd more when its done.

John, the rig i picked up has a zf6 so that really cuts the build cost down, what kind of intake did you get ?

Cleatus the pan has to be done so it has to come out and wouldn't that be the time to increase the reliability of the motor, and what else is involved? i was thinking of a possible rebuild kit and some machine work but i would like to avoid that,i rather spend the funds on extra hp and i'm looking at stage 2's, t500, 38r or h2e, intercooler, radiator, and the usual small stuff
The heads have to come off to do the rod "swap" so you're in pretty deep anyway.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Will104
Cross-Country
Really Dan, guess that means studs should probably be done, damn there goes the wallet, but i have to prioritize, and while the motor is out i want to get all the big stuff done

Old 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
May as well up grade your clutch while the engine is out too. What is your plan to get to 500 HP?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Really Dan, guess that means studs should probably be done, damn there goes the wallet, but i have to prioritize, and while the motor is out i want to get all the big stuff done

That's why Cody gave the reply he did. It's not a minor job.

When you're in that far, think welded oil jets/nozzles, studs....ie: stuff that makes sense given how difficult/expensive at later date.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
That's why Cody gave the reply he did. It's not a minor job.

When you're in that far, think welded oil jets/nozzles, studs....ie: stuff that makes sense given how difficult/expensive at later date.
Not to mention a hone job (at a minimum as long as the pistons are still usable) for the new piston rings that will have to be used once the pistons are removed.....

New bearings at a minimum on the rod journals since you can't reuse them....but you probably already banked on that one. You may as well have the crankshaft turned as well while you're there.

Fun fun!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Will104
Cross-Country
John that was a definite, I was going to start with air 6637 or AIS, going to a 38r or h2e, then a cfm+ or afe manifold to a 6.0 banks intercooler, or hypermax ??? then plenum inserts and maybe plenums to a 4"-5" exhaust fed by a t500 and some stage 2's, hpx, frx, idm mod, ts 6 with some tuning when done and perhaps a hd radiator, i'm thinking that should get me pretty close to 500 and probably need a girdle

Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Will104
Cross-Country
Cody thats the kind of stuff i need to be on, i don't want to pull the motor again once and done for hopefully the next million miles or so

Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Cody thats the kind of stuff i need to be on, i don't want to pull the motor again once and done for hopefully the next million miles or so
The 7.3 isn't a million mile motor.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
John that was a definite, I was going to start with air 6637 or AIS, going to a 38r or h2e, then a cfm+ or afe manifold to a 6.0 banks intercooler, or hypermax ??? then plenum inserts and maybe plenums to a 4"-5" exhaust fed by a t500 and some stage 2's, hpx, frx, idm mod, ts 6 with some tuning when done and perhaps a hd radiator, i'm thinking that should get me pretty close to 500 and probably need a girdle
At that power level I don't see you needing a girdle, but better safe then sorry. If you're wanting to "save money" while you do all this concentrate on getting the bottom end apart and back together (entire engine). Oh man...... Youve got the tip of the iceberg list..... Most of your list is what "should be done anyways" but it's what isn't there is what scares me. Add main studs... Push rods.... Springs... And not the "stock" ones if you're gonna do it right.
Forgot the HD radiator... Unless your wanting to throw away cash.

If I was you... I would do a lot more research on what you're getting into before you dive head first.... Money's gonna go fast and look like there's nothing to show for.

Have you visually confirmed that you have PMRs or going off a hunch that because it's a 2002 you have them? You may want to visually check before you do anything dramatic like this. I'd hate for you to yank the engine pull the pan and be staring at a nice forged bottom end.

A million miles at 500 HP..... Good luck

Cody..... Your turn

EDIT: I'm not trying to talk you out of doing this, I don't think any of us are were just trying to let you know what you're really up against when the time comes so you don't have any sudden surprise. There were a few different edits I did to this post

Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Will104
Cross-Country
Thanks for the hope john but when i got the truck back home i opened the inspection plug and it wasn't a stud and bolt i saw the engine has to come out to do the oil pan. And main studs rods and springs, what are the recommendations for those besides arp and the 910's if i have the motor out i think its best to try and get it done at once and not have to pull it out again in a year and i'm not saying i'd run it a 500 all the time, hopefully i can have a good economy tune and a good tow tune and a hold the f#@! on tune. I'm trying to find and price those hidden surprises, thats what i'm hoping to find out from y'all who have been down this road before, need to start ordering parts asap but need to know what to get, i have a few ideas but experience speaks volumes over any advertisement

Quick Reply: PMR question