Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Fram is junk!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a V-10, but I do know quite a bit about the filters being discussed here.

If it was for my truck, I would use Purolator "PureOne" oil filters (this is Purolator's premium brand). This is what I use on my Honda Odyssey. They are only about $6 to $7 at Pep Boys or Advance Auto Parts. The PureOnes are made of high quality components (such as steel endcaps, silicone anti-drainback valves, and silicone-coated base gaskets) in the U.S. When the filtration performance of these filters is compared with other typical brands, they usually rank either first or second.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its either Mobil 1 or Ford filters for both my fords. I also got 2 filter mags for the 13 explorer sport. I actually put 2 on the filter. Not sure if it will work, I just put them on during the last oil change. I plan on cutting open the filter to see if the magnets are actually catching anything.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bananarama
its either Mobil 1 or Ford filters for both my fords. I also got 2 filter mags for the 13 explorer sport. I actually put 2 on the filter. Not sure if it will work, I just put them on during the last oil change. I plan on cutting open the filter to see if the magnets are actually catching anything.

If they do you have problems.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
well the object of the filter mag is to grab the metal molecules and such that is too small for the filter to catch. I race a 40ft scarab, and I was talking to the guy that builds my boat engines who swears by them. He showed me 2 filters off of a pair 454s that had had them. One engine was a good engine, the other was an engine that expired. Even the filter with the good engine had trace amounts of material where the magnet was. I mean it wasn't a lot by any means, but as he said, every engine does this and has particles that don't get caught in the filter, but the magnets will catch those tiny particles. Those particles that don't get caught add friction. THe less friction the better. He is also a filter mag dealer, so ill cut open the filter my self and see for myself in 5000 miles. The 2013 explorer sport has hardly any miles so im not worried about an engine failure and I have 100k warranty.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
There shouldn't be any metal wearing off anything really.

We have magnetic drain plugs on out trucks and there is never anything on them and that is right in the oil pan.

The only place I have ever really seen goop build up on magnets is in transmissions.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
If it was free I would use one but I would never buy one. A magnetic drain plug is different though

Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I will be honest though, next oil change on my 7.3 I had the plan to stick a magnet on the filter.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM
xplodn
Tuned
I havent been worried about the filter draining back since the v-10 has a vertical position its impossible the drainout of the filter. But I do use wix or motor craft. What filter is that tall one in the picture? Fits in factory v-10 spot?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xplodn
I havent been worried about the filter draining back since the v-10 has a vertical position its impossible the drainout of the filter. But I do use wix or motorcraft. What filter is that tall one in the picture? Fits in factory v-10 spot?
So why do they have an anti drain back valve? and why did my V-10 engine tick when I made the mistake of using a filter without the valve?.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by xplodn
I havent been worried about the filter draining back since the v-10 has a vertical position its impossible the drainout of the filter. But I do use wix or motor craft. What filter is that tall one in the picture? Fits in factory v-10 spot?
Thats a 7.3 diesel filter.

A co-worker also gave me a rare earth magnet which I stuck on the bottom of my pan. Not sure if anything is on it though.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Thats a 7.3 diesel filter.

A co-worker also gave me a rare earth magnet which I stuck on the bottom of my pan. Not sure if anything is on it though.

I wouldn't stick it on the pan. How would you ever be able to get the goo out if it does build up? Get a magnetic drain plug for the pan and stick the magnet on the filter so the junk gets discarded when you change oil.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Fram is junk!
Fram isn't junk. I use them on my wife's Sienna and the last UOA looked fantastic. They're just not as good as the Motorcraft filters.

I've seen and heard enough to stick with OEM filters on my Fords. I think most filters do a fine job, but some don't have a very good anti-drainback valve which leads to problems with dry starts.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tom
Fram isn't junk. I use them on my wife's Sienna and the last UOA looked fantastic. They're just not as good as the Motorcraft filters.

I've seen and heard enough to stick with OEM filters on my Fords. I think most filters do a fine job, but some don't have a very good anti-drainback valve which leads to problems with dry starts.

You could really run a motor without a filter at all (element-less canister) and still have a good UOA so long as the motor is in good shape.

I have mentioned before the only filter I have ever seen cause troubles with motors is frams. I have heard more than a couple times where a fram will fall apart and plug up causing no or very little oil pressure. Bad threads of a fram filter now and then. In fact just this last summer I ran into a fram filter that wouldn't spin on because the threads were messed up (customers car and request). It had to be scrapped and a different one used. I have seen fram filters explode on cars that run higher oil pressures. I have had times where the canister separates from the threaded cap.

I have nothing good to say about fram, never used them and never will. I don't care if WIX made frams best filter and it was free I would still not run it!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
fsmt
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EXv10
So why do they have an anti drain back valve? and why did my V-10 engine tick when I made the mistake of using a filter without the valve?.
The drain back in the filter will keep the oil up in the motor... Without one gravity will drain it through the filter and back into the sump (aka the oil pan).

Quick Reply: The lowdown on oil filters for the V-10