ZF Transmission Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:11 PM
dannyi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZF Transmission Rebuild Question

Hi Fellas',

I have a 1996 diesel F250 4x4 with a 5 speed manual trans. Managed to break a shift fork and decided to fix it myself. Ready to put the rear case half back on but running problems with the shift interlock bracket. It appears the 3 shift rods will not slide into place unless properly lined up. Tried to shift the forks back and forth and still can't get the halves together. Do I need a special tool for this or a certain technique? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated....Dannyi

Old 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by dannyi
Hi Fellas', I have a 1996 diesel F250 4x4 with a 5 speed manual trans. Managed to break a shift fork and decided to fix it myself. Ready to put the rear case half back on but running problems with the shift interlock bracket. It appears the 3 shift rods will not slide into place unless properly lined up. Tried to shift the forks back and forth and still can't get the halves together. Do I need a special tool for this or a certain technique? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated....Dannyi
From what I've read, you've put the main and counter shaft back in along with the shift forks into the main case?

Is so, that is your problem. All of those components are installing into the rear case and then the main case is slid over the components and than mated together.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:22 PM
dannyi
New User
..thank you williameub, I did just that, then when I ran into trouble I wondered if loading the rear case was the way to go. Wish I would have posted here before attempting it. Is there anything I should be aware of going further?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:32 PM
williameub
Senior User
..thank you williameub, I did just that, then when I ran into trouble I wondered if loading the rear case was the way to go. Wish I would have posted here before attempting it. Is there anything I should be aware of going further?

Align all the shift rails and put the interlock plate and slide the rear case on and put in the plate screws and snug them down. Then you raise everyting upright and slid the main case on. you might have to align the main shift rail to side in and it might get caught up on the case, but just wiggle it around.

Here is a great thread. Check out the last little bit.

ZF5 (S5-47) Transmission Rebuild

Dont worry about checking the pre-load since you havent messed with the bearings, syncos or anything.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM
dannyi
New User
...thank you williameub, I really appreciate the info and the link... very helpful!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
williameub
Senior User
...thank you williameub, I really appreciate the info and the link... very helpful!
No problem! Good luck!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where did you manage to find a rebuild kit for the truck? One that includes synchros and all the bearings and seals? With my truck deadlined, and will be on the lift for a while, since ours time for an overhaul. @ 240k miles, it's time for a clutch and flywheel, and since my tranny is down, I'd like to go ahead and do it all. A large undertaking, but i love my truck, i want another 200k!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 AM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Where did you manage to find a rebuild kit for the truck? One that includes synchros and all the bearings and seals? With my truck deadlined, and will be on the lift for a while, since ours time for an overhaul. @ 240k miles, it's time for a clutch and flywheel, and since my tranny is down, I'd like to go ahead and do it all. A large undertaking, but i love my truck, i want another 200k!
I've gotten all of mine off of eBay.

http://bit.ly/1enGUth

Your ZF manual also calls for a small parts repair kit, containing slider hub pressure plates and springs, and snap rings, but good luck finding those suckers. DONT lose those slider springs, pressure plates and check *****. Your SOL if you do. But if you do lose a check ball, I have about a hundred or so, just ask. Lol

Here are the part numbers for those.

E7TZ-7B331-A
" "-" "-B

And it's not bad at all. I've done all of my rebuilds without all of the special tools it calls for. A good set of bearing separators, and gear pullers and you'll be fine. And don't forget the toaster oven.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 PM
kawamatt2
Cross-Country
Just for reference, the S5-47 version transmission does not use the check ***** in the syncronizers. It only has springs and detents. The S5-42 uses the check *****, springs, and detents. I am unsure if the springs are a different length and if the detents are different.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 PM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by kawamatt2
Just for reference, the S5-47 version transmission does not use the check ***** in the syncronizers. It only has springs and detents. The S5-42 uses the check *****, springs, and detents. I am unsure if the springs are a different length and if the detents are different.
Both are different. The ZF engineers got smart, it sucks when you go to install the check ***** and they fly back out and smack you in the face or neck.