Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

TheyCallMeBT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reconfiguring keyless entry module - swapping out keyfob button actions

Hi all. I have an 08 with power liftgate. And I have an after market flip key that has four buttons. The extra button only pops the rear glass open, and doesn't operate the power liftgate.

I have looked for another flip key option, but there doesn't seem to be one that will operate the power liftgate. It isn't a huge deal to have to carry the flip key, along with the OEM Ford keyfob. But I'd rather stick to just the flip key on my keychain to be more minimalistic. And having the ability to open the liftgate as I'm walking up to the vehicle is a big plus for me in my line of work, so I don't want to give that up.

So I can't find a flip key that will do what I want. I can't reflash the keyfob on the flip key to operate the liftgate (I'd probably having to program a completely new chip for the circuit board, and my computer engineering knowledge is no where near that level).

So since I can't do those things, I'm wondering how possible it would be to swap out the functions on the keyless entry control module inside of the vehicle. In a basic sense, say there's (amongst others) two plugs on the control module. One outputs the signal from the "glass open" button press, and the other outputs the signal from the "liftgate" button press. So swap out the wires that plug into those. So that when I press the button on the flip key (and the OEM keyfob) that corresponds to the "glass open" function, it instead outputs that signal to the wires that control the power liftgate.

It's probably not doable or risky at best. But I wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think. At the very least, can someone tell me where to locate that module in the vehicle?

Below is my keychain so you can see what I'm working with. Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

bunky383 is starting off with a positive reputation.
just my observation here, but it appears using the original key and key fob solves all your problems. why not just ditch the flip key?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Well simply put, once you go with a flip key, you won't want to go back. There's definitely a cool factor to it, but it's also just a better design. You don't have a jabbing key sticking out all the time. Look at it-- do you not think that it looks nicer, more stylish and professional, and has better utility than the OEM keyfob plus key?

Besides that, going with the configuration in the picture-- the flip key and the OEM keyfob-- solves my problem. I've just taken kind of a minimalist utilitarian view of my every day carry lately. I put a deadbolt with a keypad on it on my house. So no more house key on my keychain (I keep the key in a pouch in my wallet, just in case, plus there's a lockbox with one outside of the house). And I'm coming from an F-150 with a toolbox, so that's one less key than I used to carry, too. So if I can go to just having the flip key (which is how I've been carrying up until a couple of days ago), it would be nice.

So like I said, it's not a big deal. Just something I'm trying to work out. I'm honestly just enjoying having a vehicle that I want to do little projects on, and that works so well for what I need from a vehicle.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Posting Guru
2002 Ford Excursion

wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
I posted instructions on your other thread about the new flip key.

Mine works perfect. Even the back tail gate as original keys.

Key fob program instructions.

Instructions and Videos on programming Ford PATS Keys | fullerisford.com
2002 Excursion, 4x4, V-10, XLT, RS9000 shocks, true trac diff, 08 alum diff cover, interior light delete, 08 power fold/xtend mirrors, KM2 tires, 5 Star tuned, front cryo powerslots with hawk pads, XRF ball joints. 50" front mounted LED bar, 10" reverse light LED bar. Banks stainless long tube headers and exhaust kit., front seat heaters.
2011 Expedition, Ltd Max, 4x4. 30" LED light bar, flip key fob, 9 passenger, more to come.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The difference here is that wallz '11 came with tailgate release, and BT's '08 came with glass release. Somewhere between 08 and 10 they switched the function (my 10 has tailgate release).
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

bunky383 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have factory remote start on my '07, so a flip key is of no use for me, unless they make one for a remote start application. but yes, they are cool.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 View Post
The difference here is that wallz '11 came with tailgate release, and BT's '08 came with glass release. Somewhere between 08 and 10 they switched the function (my 10 has tailgate release).
Yeah, that's what I just realized in the other thread. So 2010 and up, if you have power liftgate, the keyless entry only operates the liftgate, and doesn't have the extra button to pop the glass open.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator