Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Senior User

Holehawgg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What kind of A/C fits in a 49 F1

Hi everyone. Progress on the 49 sucked during the summer. To much drama around here that I won't bore you with. However things are coming back on track. An old boy I work with has a 61 chev bel air bubble top and is going to Yellowstone in August for the car show. He has egged me on to getting mine done so we can all drive down together. So sheet metal is at the bodymans, Frame is almost all boxed, Bushings are ordered for the sub frames but what about A/C? What will fit in the F1. I know of Vintage Air and Old Aire but what are the models that are being used? What fits nice under the dash is what I'm asking. Hope you can help. Happy New year to everyone and thanks.
Remi
Not bad for someone raised on C****s
Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am looking at the Old Air slimline under dash unit with heat and cool and defrost option. I think that this unit will fit nicely and I really like that it has the defrost option.
Old Air Products - Home of the HURRICANE Heat, Cool, & Defrost A/C System - Underdash Unit - Inside Package

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Elder User

HILLBILLY BOB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HILLBILLY BOB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
TRY SOUTHERN AIR

53 MERC RAGTOP 5.0-AOD-PS-PB- AC
55PONT GRILLE-56 BUICK TRIM-CONT KIT
56 PACKARD TAILIGHTS-LIQUOR BAR IN TRUNK
Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm putting AC in the wife's 52. Looked at Old Air and Vintage. Decided on the Vintage Mini, although longer than the Old Air system it is a little shallower front to back and about 3" shorter in height. After measuring I feel it will fit much better. Also saw a few negative posts about Old Air. I'm looking at picking up a Vintage unit tomorrow at So Cal.
2013 Taurus (Ginger)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Old Timer

jmerson is starting off with a positive reputation.
mini

Rimrock,
I have a '48 with a Vintage mini in it and it does fit in nice. Living here in CA you might find cheaper prices than SoCal. Nothing against them but I've priced things there before and it seems like the prices are fairly high.
But what do I know?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerson View Post
Rimrock,
I have a '48 with a Vintage mini in it and it does fit in nice. Living here in CA you might find cheaper prices than SoCal. Nothing against them but I've priced things there before and it seems like the prices are fairly high.
But what do I know?
thanks for the heads up, that's why I am just looking tomorrow. I do have a $50.00 gift certificate that I won at a car show. If they are too high I'll just pick up something else, I have plenty to get.
2013 Taurus (Ginger)
Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Check out this one: Nice fit under the dash. Nostalgic AC - Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Posting Guru

rhopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've got a vintage air gen II compact in my F1. I mounted it up under the glove box, a little toward the middle of the dash. It's mounted from a 1" square tube that runs the width of the cowl. I also mounted the fuse box on the tube. The unit hangs by the rear mounts from the tube. The front mounts are from a bracket I made that attaches to the bottom of the dash, just inside the glove box door. I have three under dash vents which work for both ac and heat. I used the stock F1 defrost vent diffusers. Heat can also be blown on the floor, or with combinations of vents. I discovered that the best place to run the lines is through the firewall just above the frame. Unfortunately, I'm using a stock battery box that mounts right there. My solution was to route lines out through the cab under the rear of the fender. They run from there along the inner fender then into the engine compartment. I don't have the ash tray so I made a panel for that opening that holds the controls. Vintage air has several options for where to mount the controls.
I chose vintage air over the other brands for a few reasons. My local hot rod shop has sold vintage for years and knows the products. They have a good reputation and will probably be around if I need parts or repairs. If you're lucky, they have direct fit kits made just for you vehicle. Not for F1's, however. We still do it the old fashioned way.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Senior User

Holehawgg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopper View Post
I've got a vintage air gen II compact in my F1. I mounted it up under the glove box, a little toward the middle of the dash. It's mounted from a 1" square tube that runs the width of the cowl. I also mounted the fuse box on the tube. The unit hangs by the rear mounts from the tube. The front mounts are from a bracket I made that attaches to the bottom of the dash, just inside the glove box door. I have three under dash vents which work for both ac and heat. I used the stock F1 defrost vent diffusers. Heat can also be blown on the floor, or with combinations of vents. I discovered that the best place to run the lines is through the firewall just above the frame. Unfortunately, I'm using a stock battery box that mounts right there. My solution was to route lines out through the cab under the rear of the fender. They run from there along the inner fender then into the engine compartment. I don't have the ash tray so I made a panel for that opening that holds the controls. Vintage air has several options for where to mount the controls.
I chose vintage air over the other brands for a few reasons. My local hot rod shop has sold vintage for years and knows the products. They have a good reputation and will probably be around if I need parts or repairs. If you're lucky, they have direct fit kits made just for you vehicle. Not for F1's, however. We still do it the old fashioned way.
Thanks for the help. I believe the Vintage air Compact is what I will use. Its pricey but I don't like sweating my butt of in the summer. And since I will be using this truck alot for work I think comfort is the way to go. Thanks again.
Remi
Not bad for someone raised on C****s
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks