Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2013, 04:02 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Valves on the flat-6 are adjustable AFAIK.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafinest540 View Post
I got the truck last week. I would have never realized it had a very small crack till I cleaned the dirt damp spot. And drove around and it came back. That's a pretty informational video def think I will be thing something just happy to here that its not trash now.

Are the flat motors typically noisy in the valve department? Specially idle? Like the lifters tapping noise it sounds like all 12 valves making same noise. Gauge oil pressure is 5-30psi. Depending on rpm. Might be time to get block machined. What do you all think. Thank you all for the good tips!
Have you changed the oil yet? What weight did you use?

I also have a 226 I6. I ask because my oil pressure was 15 psi at idle and 30 psi running until I dropped the oil pan, cleaned the screen and refilled with 20W50. Now my pressure is just above 30 on the gauge at idle, which is much better than before. And it's about 45 pounds at higher RPM.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Valves on the flat-6 are adjustable AFAIK.
Ford made access to the six cylinder valve adjustment easier by making an access panel through the passenger side inner fender.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM
New User

vafinest540 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure the weight now but 30 weight or 20/50 will be going in. I need to drop pan and replace seals. I'm hoping gauge pressure goes up and tapping goes away when strainer screen is cleaned. With the crack in the block I was not sure on route was going to take. seems like its common practice on these flatte motors. Wasn't sure what to expect with oil pressure eather but 30psi idle sounds good opposed to my 2-10.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Oil quality/weight has no effect on tappet noise, they aren't hydraulic lifters.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
I think what Ross is saying is that ya need to adjust the valves to make the noise go away.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
This is the normal stitching pin repair procedure (below). I have a block that needs the same repair, a 3" long freeze crack above the pan rail. I was quoted $140 for a pro to repair it and some other cracks on the deck.

Cast Iron Crack repair - YouTube
Ross I really enjoyed this video. I've heard of the procedure B4 but had no idea what it was. Thanks for posting it.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM