New Bronco ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:43 AM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
New Bronco ?

The 2015 Ford Bronco - Gear Heads

Yes I did search this, did not see anything immediate. I know this is a Bronco, but it's a Ford and I thought it was relevant because it's on an F150 chassis, and will use the F150 4WD system and MAY even include a diesel option that some F150 owners are wishing they had. If it's old news or not relevant, I'm sure a Mod will be along shortly to move/delete it Enjoy !

Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If it looks like that jeep will have it's hands full!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:04 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
I agree. It's basically a rehash of a concept they did around 2004 or so...but this article seems current with the mention of a 5.0 option...who knows ? I would definitely check it out..as it would come out just about the time I will be in the market again...and I was considering a used 4.0 Wrangler 4x4. If I was Ford, I would offer it as a "back to basics" design, rubber floor mats , lots of manual options for locks, windows etc to keep costs down and above all a manual trans, maybe a 6spd. I think, if they would do this...they would not be able to build them fast enough, especially with that diesel option !

Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeep's Wrangler has been growing in popularity in recent years. They sold 160,000 in 2012. Whereas sales of Ford's Expedition has been slowly and steadily declining (they're lucky if they sell around 30,000 a year). Ford also thought the Flex would be a better seller than it is, and that struggles to sell 28,000 a year.

There is definitely a market for a smaller off-road capable SUV if they do it right. Especially if it also introduces buyers to Ford's larger SUV. You can bet Ford is definitely examining that market segment. Whether or not something ever sees production is another story.

I don't believe anything in that article to be true, considering there has been talk of a new Bronco since the early 2000's and nothing, outside of concept land, has ever materialized.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it would be a great alternative for people that want to tow say a boat but don't want to have a truck or a larger SUV. If they make it tow about 7,000 pounds that would be perect. (like my sister is looking for right now!)

Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I don't believe the article either. Mainly the 4.5L diesel was scrapped years ago. If a diesel makes into this segment, it will likely migrate from the new Transit van.

The Expedition is perhaps the most out dated vehicle in Ford's lineup so there's no doubt that it's falling flat on it's face. Plus, it's so grossly overpriced and under valued that I would never consider a new one.

I don't believe that any car builder could ever topple Jeep's sales figures and loyalty. If Ford were to enter this market, they would have to be careful not to over price nor over accessorize the darned thing. Something built on a 150 chassis would be a stout vehicle for sure.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
It's not a rehash of the 2004 concept, it is the 2004 concept. This article is nothing but a hoax, this is old news from 9 years ago. And it never went anywhere.

See HERE.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
tseekins said what I was thinking....I just hope if it EVER comes to pass, Ford does not price it into the stratosphere, keep it rugged , simple, and under $30k....they could not build enough of them...

Old 12-28-2013, 09:38 PM
bdta6la
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll get in line.

I bought an 86 new and drove it for 23 years. It was a 300I6 4SPOD. I only ordered it that way because when test driving the 302 and 351, the I6 had better pick up. I ordered it with the 3.55 rear for even better pick up, and for driving in the sand(NJ Beach). It handled very well on and off road since it prob was 150->200 lbs lighter in the front without the V8 and auto trans. The size was perfect - not too small as imports - Not a big box like the full size Chevy Blazer. For those reasons also - I agree - Keep it simple.

Build it and they will come. Even the kids(30s and 40s now) who got my generation's hand me downs. They loved them.

I'm driving a 2010 SCREW 6.5 bed 4X4 now. I'll be more than ready in 2015/16.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
I think Ford could be on to something with this concept.... I remember it from years ago as well, but I would love for them to build it.... I would be in the market for a smaller SUV that wasn't so girly like the Escape, or as big as the Expy. The Explorer is nice, but WAY too pricey, and street oriented. I'd love a light weight, Ecoboosted Bronco that got about 30 MPG highway, but kicked some tail on small trails. I love my f-150, but it is a boat on some trails when out hunting.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Originally Posted by travlnman
under $30k

Good luck with that one. A 3.7L V6 regular cab/short bed 4x4 F150 with a limited slip starts at $29,500 before you add any other options, and I'm sure that will increase once they add more aluminum to the body. If they do ever make a 4x4 Bronco based on the F150 chassis you can bet it will likely start at atleast a $30,000 sticker by the time it gets released.

Vehicle prices have shot way up in recent years. The average transaction price of a new vehicle is $31,252. When it comes to Ford's SUVs/CUVS, a 4x4 Expedition starts at a $45,000 sticker. An AWD Explorer starts at $32,000. Even an AWD Escape starts at $28,000.

The way prices are going, I'm thinking it would be a bargain if they can keep it under $40k for a basic 4x4 with little more than A/C, power locks, power windows, and an AM/FM radio.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Those photos are pretty horrid looking. I like this artists concept better:

SVT Raptor Bronco - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Forums and Owners Club!

Old 12-29-2013, 05:53 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
After seeing the image of the Raptor Bronco and thinking about my previous post, I think it's a bad idea.

Jeep shares most everything throughout it's own name plate but has nothing in common with the Ram trucks except engine/trans and that's why it succeeds. A Ram based SUV is too big and costly.

Jeep's aftermarket is every bit as strong or stronger than the half ton truck segment. Wrangler has evolved into a 4 door vehicle while still offering it's grass roots 2 door version, Ford could never do this. We're back to the 6000 pound Expedition.

Something Ranger based is the answer while still offering the Expedition.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Jeep shares most everything throughout it's own name plate but has nothing in common with the Ram trucks except engine/trans and that's why it succeeds. A Ram based SUV is too big and costly.
Not anymore. The Wrangler used to share everything in common, but the whole rest of the jeep line is unibody with independent front and rear suspensions. The engine and transmission is shared with the Grand Cherokee as well as half the rest of the Chrysler lineup.

I don't think it would be a good idea either because there's really nothing that can be added to such a niche segment. A vehicle like the Wrangler is too biased towards off-road to do much of anything well on the pavement, and there are only a small group of buyers who are interested in it. For those buyers there is nothing better because of the capabilities of the stock platform combined with the aftermarket support.

I think this is a thing that simply can't be done better than Jeep already does.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 AM
irishguy824
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a couple of guys that have gone the Jeep Wrangler or Toyota FJ Cruiser (because of a hate for Jeep) that would buy up a Bronco if Ford ever "brought it back." The main reason these guys left Ford in the first place is they didn't want a truck for off road fun.

And like everyone said, if they could keep them reasonably priced and rugged, they'd sell a ton of them.

Quick Reply: New Bronco ?