Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Elder User

Jeepincj7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jeepincj7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Motor is out. What to re-seal?

I pulled my motor today.

My list of "To Do" things while its out.

1. Oil Cooler o-rings.
2. ICP o-ring
3. Oil pan gasket
4. IPR O-rings
5. Rear main seal

I also bought the oil rail end plug o-rings, oil rail o-rings, CCV o-rings, and turbo pedestal o-rings as well as a turbo rebuild kit since I am installing a Bean's 1.0 exhaust housing, and WW2 on the turbo.

I've already rebuilt the fuel bowl. I have one year old Rosewood Stage 1's in it and one year old glow plugs(ZD-11s). I also did the valve cover gaskets and wiring harnesses under them. HPOP is a T-500 and installed about 6mo ago.

I had oil leaks in the valley from the ICP o-ring, and the oil cooler was leaking as I didn't use the good viton seals last time. Oil pan gasket has always leaked since I got the truck as well.

Anything else you would do with the motor out of the truck?

On a side note. Even after doing the UVCH last year and all glow plugs + relay, this thing smokes like a freight train when cold. Its eye burning smoke and basically all diesel. Truck has no blow-by either. It always starts, but lopes badly for several seconds before evening out. Injectors were rebuilt by Rosewood last year. Any thoughts? Maybe bad up stream wiring? The full engine harness is saturated in oil, so I plan to go through it as well and clean everything and re-wrap it all.

Oh, and even when plugged in, I will get a slight blue/white haze from the tailpipe when its below freezing here in CO. None of my other 7.3s have ever smoked after being plugged in, and none of them ever came close to the smoke this will truck will throw un-plugged.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Postmaster

stainlessstroker95 has a good reputation on FTE.stainlessstroker95 has a good reputation on FTE.
Dont know if you plan on big hp in the future, but studs, springs and rods would be alot easier with the motor out. I would also include the dip stick rereal when you rereal your pan. Make sure your pan is rust free too. You could strip it down and paint the pan while your at it. Another thing to think about installing is bellowed up pipes. And ebpv delete.
Gabe 95 f250 4x4 super cab psd, zf 5 speed, 6637 air intake, scan gauge, stancor gpr, ccv mod, 140v IDM, HPX line, irate t4 mount, s366 turbo, i/c, 3" plenums, Rosewood 238/80 hybrids, T500, studs, springs, rods, DP Tuner f6 chip, diamond eye ss 4" exhaust, 3" dp, irate e fuel, short throw shifter, Valair kevlar/ceramic clutch, Destination MTs, d60 RSK V codes , shackle flip B codes, bilstien shocks, scorpion bed liner, custom tailgate. 96 f350 4x4 psd, dually flatbed welding truck, zf 5 speed, stock. 79 bronco.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Elder User

Jeepincj7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jeepincj7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95 View Post
Dont know if you plan on big hp in the future, but studs, springs and rods would be alot easier with the motor out. I would also include the dip stick rereal when you rereal your pan. Make sure your pan is rust free too. You could strip it down and paint the pan while your at it. Another thing to think about installing is bellowed up pipes. And ebpv delete.
This is as far as I will go power wise. I just don't need anymore than what this has. It pulls 26K with ease. I just wanted the turbo to spool a little quicker, which is why I am gong with the 1.0 housing and WW2. And, I already built my own bellowed up-pipes last year. Pan is rust free. And, I have already gutted the EBPV as well.

Good call on the dipstick thing. I did that last year as well, but I might as well do it again to make sure it seals well. Anyone have the part # for the o-ring on the dipstick tube and the larger one?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Postmaster

dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.dougbrown has a very good reputation on FTE.
As far as I know there no pan gasket. Just a silicone gasket stuff. It gray and sold by ford. Not sure I'd mess with the rear main seal. There not know for going. How about a water pump? it right there.
00 F250xlt,psd, 2wd, 3:73, 398,000 , K&N intake, super chip, auto! (Dad's)
97 F Super Duty 7.3L,ZF5,166xxx, Dump,
01 F250 CCSB 7.3L stock for now, Boss truck
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrown View Post
As far as I know there no pan gasket. Just a silicone gasket stuff. It gray and sold by ford. Not sure I'd mess with the rear main seal. There not know for going. How about a water pump? it right there.
Water pump was done in the spring.

Yes, I know the pan gasket is just RTV. I should be reassembling things later this week.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 PM