Warning: Ford's Policy Re: Chain Guide Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Chuckymadness
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Warning: Ford's Policy Re: Chain Guide Assembly

I spoke with a Ford customer service rep who said that Ford's Owner Notification Program is NOT a recall. However, he stated that we would find information on Ford's website under "Recall Information." The symptoms where we are experiencing ticking noises with the SOHC 4.0 V6 engines where you hear an annoying tick upon a cold start up is only covered up to 100k miles. And get this...you, the consumer would have needed to inform the dealership of this problem. It's called the 01M01, Owner Notification Program for SOHC engines re: the Chain Guide Assembly. It was released in November 2000 and issued in May of 2001 (whatever this means).

I asked the rep to explain to me if I were to have had the problem correct prior to Nov. 2000 after purchasing my truck in 1999 how would I be reimbursed if there is no newsletter or letter sent out to the consumers? All he could do was say that we would need internet capability and go on Ford's website. Other than that, he didn't know.

I am very upset about Ford's customer service relations with their consumers. Not only the fact that we are the ones who put money into their pockets, but that they do not take care of the consumer. And I remember a post stating that Ford would only take care of one of the parts associated with the chain guide and not fully extend theirselves to take care of the entire problem. I am at a lost for words right now.

Any one care to share their experiences with Ford's customer service in repairing the chain guide? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:30 AM
pancartom
Senior User

interesting post. i have a 99 explorer with 90k on the clock, and it's been "marbling" for the past year. i find it amazing that ford would know of this problem, and not let it out to it's customers. has anyone had any success with having ford fix this in their vehicle?

Old 06-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Chuckymadness
Freshman User

After cooling down from speaking to the Ford rep. I put myself in their shoes. With the economy the way it is and after the Firestone suit, I'm pretty sure that Ford didn't want to pay for anything else associated with their vehicles. So, with that in mind I also wondered if it's not a recall then it must not be a safety issue. Hopefully, this is the case. I'm still wondering if it is the chain guide/tensioners that's making the noise in my truck because after driving for some time the noise goes away. I'm starting to wonder if it's the MAF or some other issue.

Needless to say, I will just deal with the problem, run premium gas from time to time, change the air filter regularly, keep the maintenance up and not worry about the noise.

I'm afraid at this point in the game with 116k miles on the 97 XLT that someone will disrupt the engine somehow while tampering with it.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You have the right idea, Don't fix it unless it is broke... Those service techs can mess up ten things trying to fix one and you will spend the next six months in the shop IF you can get them to take responsibility. If not, your truck will never run right again.

Old 06-29-2003, 03:26 AM
cbx
New User

I must be one of the lucky ones......have 173k on my 95 4.0L and no noises, but then I've been running Castrol FULL synthetic 20/50w oil ever since 30K..............also running same oil in my 86 4 banger since it had 1K and it's still going strong at 203K

Old 06-29-2003, 09:29 PM
pancartom
Senior User

if it's a 95, i don't think it's a SOHC, therefore, no timing chain slap.

Old 06-29-2003, 10:36 PM
cbx
New User

sorry bout that.pancartom, next time I'll look before I leap.....never realised they made 2 versions of the 4.0L..........my Haynes manual doesn't seem to show that there were 2

Old 07-07-2003, 01:42 PM
460429_freak
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah my sister in law had their fixed(98 explorer) now it won't idle when it's cold should have stuck with the noise

Old 07-08-2003, 11:51 AM
okiebronco
Senior User

i took mine in a year ago for the chain tensioner. i got it back and noticed it ran like crap. i pop the hood once im home and the mass air sensor was unplugged and the big hose going to the intake wasnt hooked back up. all they did was say oops. i hate taking my trucks to shops

Old 07-19-2003, 08:49 PM
JjoAnn64n
New User

Hi...I was just looking up some advantages to buying my new ( k, new to me but used from a car lot)<" AND Get This">---> 1999 Ford Explorer 2 dr wagon SUV {{{{4.0L V6 EFI SOHC 'used' }}}} when I came across this website and posted messages. Needless to say I'm quite concerned now and by no means a mechanic. Would someone explain to me what this means in $$$ basically?, and I don't see where anyone has posted a positive comment to having this repaired by the way. I would sure like to see a positive right about now....

Old 07-24-2003, 12:34 AM
cwatson20
New User

Everyone you information has been very informational.

I am learning that my vehicle isn't the only one having the rattle noise problem. I currently have my 99 Explorer w/ 61000 miles & in the shop. I bought it in Oct. 2001 it is a V-6 4.0L. I have been complaining about a rattle for the last 2 years to Ford. The kept telling me it was rocks getting in the heat shield causing the rattle. Why would I buy a 4x4 that you couldn't drive on a gravel drive way because it would consistantly rattle? Finally, I took it to another shop and they found a tensioner going out. I did think it was fixed but the rattle came right back when it was cold and at an idle. I stopped down by the Dealer I purchased the vehicle from again and the Mechanical Advisor didn't hear it. He actually went straight to tap on the heat shield again. I told him that he shouldn't even bother. After turning off my motor and chatting with him for a few minutes, I started the vehicle up to leave and the rattle was there. He asked me to pop the hood and called another mechanic over to the vehicle. The mechanic listened then got in the driver seat and rev'd up the RPM's. After he was done he mumbled to the Advisor. I had to ask the to explain to me what was going on. My concern is the fact that not even their mechanics over the last 2 years could tell me what was wrong with my Explorer. They have it on record that they were having problems with the Cam Chain Guide assembly but never did one of the mechanics mention it. To make a long story short my Cam Chain Guide suppose to be being replace right now. It is estimated to take 3-5 days to fix. My extended warranty is covering the costs but the estimate to fix the problem is $1200.00 to $1700.00 dollars. What is to say that another 25,000 miles down the road my engine isn't going to need replace because I ran with this rattling for the last 2 years. Any thoughts about how to approach Ford on getting an additional warranty that exceeds 100,000 miles --- my extended warranty runs out in less than 15,000 miles....

Old 07-24-2003, 11:19 AM
jgoff
New User

Originally posted by 460429_freak
yeah my sister in law had their fixed(98 explorer) now it won't idle when it's cold should have stuck with the noise
That's most likely the IAC valve. When cold the idle varies and it will die if you don't give it a little gas. Some people have reported that cleaning them will fix the problem (it's just sticking), but the new part is less than $100 and is easy to install. My '98 SOHC with 95K miles has already had it replaced last year.

Hope that helps...

Old 07-24-2003, 11:26 AM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

FYI - Ford's recall page

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owne...ls/default.htm

Old 07-24-2003, 04:11 PM
pancartom
Senior User

ford has not recalled these engines.... and they never ever will. in general, they run way past the warrantee period. mine's been making the rattle noise since 50k, and it has 100k on it now. do i like it???? no! but can i live with it? i guess. will i ever buy another ford with the same engine? never in a million years!!!

Old 07-27-2003, 11:52 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You people are amazing. Whining about a noise that can be fixed in your driveway, sounds to me like you just need to replace the timing belts. They have stretched over the years and miles just like your accesory drive belt does. Expecting Ford or any other brand to fix a small problem out of warranty is rediculous. That is like buying a truck with 100k+ on the clock and then whining when the alternator goes a moth after you bought it.

Quick Reply: Warning: Ford's Policy Re: Chain Guide Assembly