Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Junior User

chesterstroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.4 blowing white smoke... help please

We are on the way to Colorado pulling four place enclosed and my truck started running rough and blowing a lot of white smoke. I got it limped two miles to nearest truck stop. Minimaxx shows cylinder eight and cylinder one contribution codes. Oil level is good but coolant is low. The drivers side of engine looks wet but I can't tell for sure what it is. All vitals were normal up to this. Truck has dpf delete and mini maxx on it. Any ideas? Does this sound like a failing egr cooler?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 PM
New User

RTRF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like the egr cooler to me.

2008 Keystone Raptor 3612DS 16500lb.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Posting Guru

9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.
Is there coolant coming out of the degas bottle?

2006 F350 Harley Davidson, Atlas 40 from Ed 4" lift belstein shox
Arp studs, sinister coolant filter, bullet proof egr cooler, 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe, ccv reroute, sct ts/ tunes gearhead, 10 vein turbo, updated dummy plugs/standpipes, stc fitting, blue spring 2005 King Ranch,2004 Excursion
Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
EGR coolers. Don't drive it and risk a hydrolock.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat View Post
Is there coolant coming out of the degas bottle?
There isn't any coolant coming out of degas bottle. What is the easiest way to check for ruptured egr cooler? I have the delete kit at home already. Maybe I'll just install the delete and see how it runs...
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Were you using a stock tune, or EGR disable tune?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Old 01-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
Were you using a stock tune, or EGR disable tune?
Running disable tune with minimaxx
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Elder User

tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterstroker View Post
There isn't any coolant coming out of degas bottle. What is the easiest way to check for ruptured egr cooler? I have the delete kit at home already. Maybe I'll just install the delete and see how it runs...

How did you determine this? To me this sounds like a case of blown head gasket. Low coolant, wet engine bay, white smoke.

No matter what it is, there is obviously a problem, and I seriously doubt just adding the dpf delete is going to solve whatever is going on.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Junior User

brian1253 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Compression test you don't loose compression through the erg cooler.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Junior User

Ok guys, here's the update on my truck. I got it towed home and in my garage. Installed egr cooler delete just because I already had it and was going to do it anyway...did not fix my problem I checked compression on number eight and have zero. Pulled glowplug and looked through hole with borescope...piston cracked all the way across top. Truck still ran when I pulled it into garage but smelled very strong raw diesel out of exhaust. What do you suppose caused this to happen? Im guessing number eight injector stuck open. Im going to pull the motor and rebuild with head studs and all new pistons. Can these injectors be bench tested out of the truck. I don't want to worry about this happening again but I really don't want to replace all eight injectors if I don't have to. Sorry for the long winded post. I have rebuilt tons of gas engines but this will be my first diesel. I wanna do it right because I really love this truck and plan on keeping it for awhile. Any advice on engine parts or vendors are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Jamie

Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel