Sponsored by: Moser

Aluminum F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 AM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum F-150

Even though Ford has decided NOT to show the F-150 at the Detroit Auto Show the real question for Ford and potential buyers is HOW much aluminum will be present in the new model? Sounds to me anyway like there is going to be MUCH MORE than previously suggested??

2015 Ford F-150 Might Have More Aluminum In It Than Originally Expected [2014 Detroit Auto Show]

Ford’s next F-150 is a seminal vehicle for the brand, and not the least because it’s the bestselling vehicle in the U.S., period. But as Automotive News reports, launching the 2015 F-150 could be tricky thanks to its more aluminum-intensive construction. We already knew the F-150 was getting some of lightweight, expensive metal to cut weight—but AN also indicates the truck could be very aluminum-y.

Automotive News bases its assessment of the F-150—which essentially concludes the rig’s entire body might be made from aluminum—on rumors surrounding Ford’s Detroit show stand. (We had assumed that at the very least, the Ford would get an aluminum hood, doors, roof, or tailgate.) Apparently, Ford has ordered up a bunch of aluminum from Alcoa for its display area at the Detroit; AN takes this to mean the F-150′s aluminum mix could be quite impressive. This could explain Ford’s having already delayed the new F-150 up to 10 weeks thanks to a few aluminum-related kinks in its manufacturing process. That kind of setback seems appropriate for a lot of aluminum content, less so for a single body panel.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:48 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
On the bright side aluminum means less rust!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:55 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We're going to be seeing a whole lot more use of aluminum and composites over the next few decades. Saving weight and mass are certain solutions to fuel economy issues and regulations. I'm guessing there will be issues with having to retool production to adapt to the unique qualities of these materials.
Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 AM
steve-oh
Junior User
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
On the bright side aluminum means less rust!
Aluminum corrodes. That's why you always see Expeditions and other fords with aluminum hoods with big blisters on the front edge of the hood or the rear tailgate. Numerous TSBs describe it. Rust or aluminum corrosion are virtual synonymns for one another.

I think we're in for a real cluster with these aluminum trucks. Sales on the last of the 2013 and 2014 models are booming due to this aluminum information slowly but steadily leaking out. Over at the local Ford dealer the "off the record" enthusiasm about the 2015 models is as a somber as a funeral. The pending aluminum debacle coupled with reduced payloads and towing capacity in many half ton models is an odd strategy to be sure with GM and Dodge beefing up the capabilities of their trucks. I've still never gotten over how the door skins on my 2013 wobble like a sheet in the wind when I close the door.

Looks like I'll be keeping my 2013 for a good long time. Good thing I like it so far.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-oh
I think we're in for a real cluster with these aluminum trucks. Sales on the last of the 2013 and 2014 models are booming due to this aluminum information slowly but steadily leaking out. Over at the local Ford dealer the "off the record" enthusiasm about the 2015 models is as a somber as a funeral. The pending aluminum debacle coupled with reduced payloads and towing capacity in many half ton models is an odd strategy to be sure with GM and Dodge beefing up the capabilities of their trucks. I've still never gotten over how the door skins on my 2013 wobble like a sheet in the wind when I close the door.

Looks like I'll be keeping my 2013 for a good long time. Good thing I like it so far.
Uuuuuh huh. The same was said in 2010 with the idea of (gasp!) a twin-turbocharged V6 rated for pulling duty. And in 2003 with a fully-boxed frame, and 1997 with an SOHC V8 with aluminum heads. Those naysayers have gone silent in the months and years since.

Steel body panels have been in use since cars were first invented. To think that some 130 years later we can't find a better material seems ridiculous to me. New technology isn't always better, but the overwhelming majority of automotive advancements are significant improvements over their predecessors.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:10 PM
CGiron
Senior User
Originally Posted by ArtsBest
Even though Ford has decided NOT to show the F-150 at the Detroit Auto Show the real question for Ford and potential buyers is HOW much aluminum will be present in the new model?

Are you sure that the presentation will be delayed? Desinformation?

Several sites are sure it will come on the 13 th Jan

Ford F-150 to be unveiled at the Detroit auto show

Why The 2015 Ford F-150 Could Get A 2.7-Liter EcoBoost V6

A New F-150 Could Be Just the Beginning for Ford - PickupTrucks.com News

All-New 2015 Ford F-150 Poised for Detroit Show Debut with Alloy Frame and Atlas-Inspired Design - Carscoops

http://cars.store-1.net/41458/all-ne...spired-design/

Old 12-25-2013, 10:36 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree with Tom. However Aluminum body panels and even aluminum frame rails are nothing new to the automotive industry either. Many cars and trucks in the past have used aluminum in their construction as far back as the early 1900's even. Not to mention that most high end luxury cars are completely aluminum. And most in not all super cars use aluminum chassis' as well. And lets not forget the might AC Cobra had an all aluminum body and that car is highly sought after and highly replicated to this day. And Ford is not the only manufacturer that will be building their trucks this way as a way of shedding weight either.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
The future of 1/2 Ton trucks is gonna be interesting! Till then I'm more than thrilled with how good my 2008 has treated me & will be keeping it.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 AM
aeroskies
Freshman User
Ford's New Aluminum F150

I read an article today about Ford's new concept F150 which replaces much of the steel with aluminum. This is supposed to reduce weight by 700lbs. I personally think it sounds like an innovative change and looks pretty cool with some interesting options. What do you think?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveo...minum/4203935/

By the way I am a pilot so I trust aluminum. My dad has been a steelworker for over 35 years though.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:13 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
I generally think its a good idea! However I'm not gonna be the 1st of the guinea pigs to do Fords testing until several years after this thing is mastered! LOL

Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
I generally think its a good idea! However I'm not gonna be the 1st of the guinea pigs to do Fords testing until several years after this thing is mastered! LOL

Ferrari bodies have been all aluminum for decades along with other Manufactures, nothing new.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:54 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
You all would be surprised to know that the superstructures on Navy and Coast Guard ships are made from aluminum. Some CG small craft are built entirely from aluminum. These ships and small boats have a life expectancy of 30-50 years.

I'm not trowing in the towel just yet.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:50 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
We should wait & see what the Mo Co comes up with before we all rush to judgement on the negative side. I'm a glass half full type of individual until somebody pours it empty in front of me. Lol

Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 AM
OldMasterTech
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested in what Ford will do with the vehicle's electrical system if it's an aluminum frame as well as body panels.
Due to electrolysis issues, aluminum golf cars and boats don't use chassis ground so electrical systems are a bit more complex and expensive.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Aluminum can be a good thing. The only thing bad about aluminum is that it is a very temperamental metal to work with. Very quick melting temperatures (doesn't cherry-up like steel or iron). Need special bonders and welding material for aluminum. but I think the auto industry in general is ready for it. The luxury marques (most notably Audi) have been very aluminum intensive in construction as of late. heck, the latest step for them is to move on to using carbon fiber.

Quick Reply: Aluminum F-150