1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Dual Zone Climate Control in 2012 XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Murphys Law of course. It did just come up for sale though. Pics Trover? I am dying to see. Mine won't get here until tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I only have a night-time shot, which didn't come out that great. I'm at work, but later maybe I'll shoot a daytime shot. My wood surround will also come tomorrow, so I'll try and post that version too. Yours will look nicer with the extra seat heater / cool controls, but compared to the basic controls it looks very nice. Chrome rings around the climate temp ***** are nice, plus all the buttons in the two rows above the screen are filled it (the basic version is missing at least two with plastic blanks).

I'm also wondering abut how the unit senses the temp in the cabin. I have noticed the little 'vent' intake on the right of the instrument cluster, but does it need to be connected to the auto unit somehow?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
They must've sold it already...I don't see it there.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
We'll see. I bought it and it turned out that it didn't have the heated or cooled seats function. I will contact the guy and let him know people are interested, so he can put it back up. I will give him a call Tuesday or Wednesday.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 PM
cpufed
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just have the basic message center.

Originally Posted by troverman
Hmm...wished I noticed that before I spent $234.

Cpufed, which message center do you have?

Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I was busy last night so no pics yet; hopefully I'll be able to install the wood trim tonight...will do a before / after pic so you can see the new climate control in both panels. Course, you'll probably be installing yours tonight anyway!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I got the wood trim radio surround installed last night...the one I bought was used. It included all the switches and vents which all seemed fine with it, but nevertheless I swapped all my existing hardware over (12v outlet was the most difficult to remove). I think it looks very nice and adds some contrast to break up a lot of gray plastics...however, the silvery plastic trim is nice from the standpoint of the mono-look. Would be a nice upgrade to an XL truck I think. I'm selling mine in case anyone is interested...mine is perfect, includes the vents, traction switch, ESOF switch (but no locker on this one), 12V outlet, etc. I could also include my original manual climate control which is also like new.

I don't have a picture store online, which seems to be the only way to post pics, so I guess no pics from me...sorry Tofan. Did you get your auto HVAC installed?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice

Nice find. I will be adding this myself.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Not yet Trover, It's supposed to be here today. I guess there was a shipping delay yesterday so I didn't get it. If you go to google and search for free image hosting you can then copy and paste the link here.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
As promised guys, here is my Dual Zone Climate Control install. Looks and works great. I can't wait to install the heated and cooled seats along with the other blend door actuator. Let me know what you guys think! Also If anybody wants to buy a XLT manual AC climate control module let me know

P.S. The bezel that I am gonna get is straight black. Part # DC3Z-2504302-AA I hate the cheap silverly glitter show thats on my dash.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Looks good Matt, reps sent!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Nice video, seems you have discovered the same things I did. The black surround will look cool, but honestly the satin ash wood I got looks good as well. It's different because you don't see the wood trim against the light gray dash panels. Lariats and up are all either dark black trim or the light tan adobe.

OEM nav arrived today and I picked up all the antenna pieces and cables from Ford yesterday, so maybe the install happens tonight. Tofan, does yours happen to have the Sat Radio hockey puck on the roof...and do you have clearance lights? I'm hoping you might be able to do a quick measurement of the antenna's location for me. I'm looking for the distance to the center of the antenna from the top of the windshield molding, as well as from the 1st clearance lamp on the drivers side over to the antenna center...although from the top of the driver's door to the antenna would also probably work.

Also, does the flat or tapered edge of the antenna face forward?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Oh man just saw this! I don't have the sat radio or running lights I wish I did. Did you do he install already? I have been eyeing those black pieces and up fitter switches install.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Did the install a week or so ago; I think cpufed posted some pictures of his roofline in another of my posts. I hated drilling holes in the roof, but it came out fine, basically looking identical to factory.

It turns out I needed quite a bit more to complete the OEM nav retrofit than I had originally thought. I really had not done enough research - I thought if you bought a Ford nav radio which looked the same as what would have come new in my truck if so optioned, and it was from the correct year range, that it would just plug in and work. I knew I needed the antenna and splitter. However, when I plugged my unit in I found out a few things quickly - it threw out error codes on the screen for some functions, other functions did not work, and there was no sound. And the backlighting was the wrong color.

I called 4D tech because I had seen them advertise complete units on ebay. However, their units and accessories were like $1800. I won an ebay auction for mine at around $300. They informed me based upon the radio serial number I had gotten a new takeout radio for an Expedition, that would need to be programmed for my truck, would need a separate amp and audio harness, and would still not have all functionality. They could do the service work of converting the green LEDs over to the correct blue LEDs. I also ended up having them build me the Sync module to retrofit to my truck to gain full functionality.

Bottom line:
$320 for radio & ship
$300 for LED backlighting conversion
$100 for programming to my truck, and programming reverse cam and Sync
$300 for amp and T-harness
$350 for custom Sync module and harnesses
$16 Shipping
$151 for dual band GPS / Sirius roof antenna, antenna harness, and splitter harness

$1537 in all. That still leaves me to buy a new steering wheel with the correct right-side buttons (mine currently has none), plus have Ford program the SCCM, and buy the rearview camera. 4D Tech will sell me the camera and harness for $380; I found a new leather wrapped steering wheel from Tasca parts for $177 with the correct buttons. I'm guessing Ford would charge between $50-100 for the programming. However, I don't have to do anything right now. When the truck goes into reverse, the screen will just go black for now, until I buy the cam. And I won't have the convenient steering controls and voice controls just yet. 4D Tech has been great, very, very responsive on all my questions and concerns; they have ultra-quick turnaround and I should have everything back to me this Tuesday.

After all this, I'll still want to eventually retrofit in the powerscope mirrors, the fancier LCD instrument cluster, possibly a heated / power rear slider window, wood trim on the power window switch trim, the center console, and possibly leather seats. Sorry for the long post.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Wow...that's crazy troverman. It looks like after all is said and done, you would have been better off just buying a Lariat with all that already there. I guess it's a hindsight kinda thing. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Quick Reply: Install Dual Zone Climate Control in 2012 XLT?