1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Dual Zone Climate Control in 2012 XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Tofan, good work. The unit I ordered is BC3Z19980N. I know mine is no heated / cooled seats, and I'm hoping it has the direct heated mirrors only switch. I'm not planning on doing the costly seats upgrade now. I don't believe the XLT has any of the wiring harnesses for power / heated / cooled seats in place; cooled seats requires A/C ducting to the seats. Are the seats memory? This would be another module. I don't even think my fuse box has the wiring in place to support this. Not saying it can't be done, just more difficult. For now, I am settling on the wood radio bezel, the auto climate controls (even if only single zone), and the factory Nav radio. Later this summer I will upgrade to the fancier instrument panel cluster with the LCD message center.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
It is amazing how you can turn an XL into a King Ranch, though, if you spend enough. Even going from an XLT to a Lariat, though...its still probably cheaper to have just ordered it that way from the factory. I kind of like doing it this way, though.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Big Vic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please post some pictures of your upgrade install...I hope to do the same.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM
winginit
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a lariat with leather , but no heated seats ! Whaaa

Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Trover,

I did the math with what it would take to install full black leather, heated and cooled seats. $3000 and it still is WAY less then what I would have paid for a Lariat. Also if I put everything else that I plan to do, I still don't top $5000 and in my opinion my truck will at that point be better then a lariat. Heated Cooled Seats, Black Leather, Tuner, Kenwood double din, and I will be done. I don't know, I know some people don't feel like tearing the new truck apart to do some stuff, but I have no problem doing it. I will own this truck until it dies and then will probably rebuild the motor/transmission, buy a new truck and keep this one for hunting/fishing.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Tofan,

More power to you...if you do go down this route, please let me know. If it is relatively feasible, I might do it. I don't mind the cloth, but leather is easier to clean. Climate control panel arrives today, I will install this weekend and report back on Monday. Are you planning on adding the extra hardware to make your truck full dual-zone?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Yes I am. As far as I know, it's adding an actuator and a little black box behind the actual console. Today is a holiday so I'm not at work, but I will give them another call to confirm. Yeah I will cover all the things that I do to the truck in a sweet video with instructions. It will be a long process but worth it in my opinion.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I've taken the dash completely out of other vehicles before (heater core jobs, etc) but I hesitate on a new truck; I'd hate to have all the squeaks and rattles show up sooner then they need to. Fords aren't always known for their fabulous fasteners.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I installed the new auto HVAC controls last night. One note...I ordered part # BC3Z19980N, which is actually no heated / cooled seats but does have the rear window defroster (no heated mirror button). Previously, I thought I was ordering a unit with just the heated mirror button. It is not a problem, though. Pressing the heated rear window button heats the outside mirrors as usual. Installation was simple. Just make sure the trailer brake control module tab lines up with the slot in the dashboard behind it. As expected, everything functions 100% with the exception of the dual zone. Adjusting the passenger temp seems to cause the system to create and average of the two set temps, unless you set the passenger side to full hot or full cold, at which it does just that.

My last observation: the outside temperature display in the climate control does not always match the one in the message center! Sometimes it does, but most of the time it is off one degree...usually one degree less than the message center display. In a 3 hour drive last night, it never was off more than two degrees, and always lower than the message center display. Not a big deal, but where is the HVAC unit pulling its data from? I thought the temp probe was located in the outside mirror? Is it pulling it from the intake air temp sensor? Does this happen to those people who have auto climate control installed from the factory (e.g. Lariat / King Ranch trucks)?

Overall, a nice upgrade to the appearance of the interior, with a little more functionality even just using the single zone setting. Too bad my wood radio surround didn't arrive at the same time; I'll have to pull it all apart again next week.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Great to hear!!! Can you post some pictures up? I really want to see how sweet it looks! And if the rear defrost turns on the mirrors then that will make it that easier for me. Man, mine will get here on tuesday or so?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Tofan, do you have the basic message center or do you have the 4.2" LCD one? I have the basic version; I'm planning on upgrading this soon. But I'm curious if this same temp discrepancy between the climate control and message center exists on those with the fancier cluster in XLT trim.

It actually doesn't look bad with the gray plastic surround; should look nicer in the wood. I'll try for pics soon.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
I have the basic message center, so when mine gets in, I will try to see if my temps are different as well. I think I will stay with the message center, I prefer that to the 4.2" message center. I can't wait until mine gets here. Oh BTW, I am gonna put my old manual control module on ebay to try and recoup some funds for different upgrades. After this one, I will probably do a tuner next, and then heated seats, cooled and finally leather.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 PM
cpufed
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ troverman... I also noticed my upgraded climate control outside temp varies by 1 degree with the message center so they must be pulling from different locations. They are always within 1 degree, but most of the time are matched up.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
For those interested there is the same module trover purchased on Amazon for 50 bucks plus 5 for shipping.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Hmm...wished I noticed that before I spent $234.

Cpufed, which message center do you have?

Quick Reply: Install Dual Zone Climate Control in 2012 XLT?