6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Got the death wobble? REPORT IT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the death wobble? REPORT IT!

Well add another super duty to the list of those with the death wobble.

Mine has done it about 5 times now… goes into Ford Thursday. Of course it's 4,000 miles past warranty.

I've seen enough posts on here with lots of folks who have thrown money at the problem. I wonder if anyone has been killed with this situation. I'd bet there's been some wrecks.

THINK… most SD owners are not even on this forum so just imagine how many trucks are actually running around with this problem.

IMO this is unacceptable and we need to try and get Ford to focus on it and solve it.

You can report it HERE to the NHTSA. If enough of us do it maybe we'll get some action.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:15 AM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it a couple of times with BFG all terrains but since getting rid of them, not one time. I have also seen this with a guy I work with, seems like tires have something to do with it. I actually brought my truck in to have the ball joints done and the mechanic said that they were in good shape yet with 130K miles. I don't know!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM
audimotion
Junior User
OP, I feel your pain. If you search all my previous posts you will see what I have gone through. My wobbles started from day 1. It took 5 trips and a regional manager to get the issue resolved.

After talking with Ford directly, I was given a case # and was told to present it to my service advisor next time I was in for the wobble issue. I did just that and my issue was taken A LOT more serious. This time Ford actually did something, besides telling me "all is fine" and "Its normal operation for the super duty".

Anyway, they replaced a bunch of bushings, ball joints, and installed an updated track bar bushing. Whatever was done has corrected the issue. So far I have driven 4K miles and no issues...yet.

I wish you luck, as it was terrible to drive with the wobble!

p.s. my truck too was out of warranty (had approx. 60K miles at the time).

Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
I experienced it a couple of times while going around a sweeping curve on the freeway at 80 MPH with my Rancho 9000's at the softest ride setting. I had gone around this same curve and hit the same bump many times without issue. Bumping the 9000 settings up helped, but it was still unstable.

What happened? It was fine before!

Some time prior to noticing this I had replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a Bilstein 5100. The stock one wasn't bad, I just thought I'd preempt any issues by replacing it.

As the weather got colder here in Michigan, I began to notice that the truck was always pulling to the left on flat roads. The only thing that came to mind was the gas charged Bilstein. That is the direction the gas charge would push the steering towards. I swapped it for the stock unit and the pulling was gone. I could definitely tell by the steering that the stock stabilizer was much stiffer.

Later while traveling on the freeway where I had encountered the wobble, I noticed it was gone. Next time I had to go that way I set the 9000's to the softest setting and still no issue.

People rave about the 5100 on here, but I don't get it. It felt wimpy compared to the stock unit, and as I it turns out, I was right.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:10 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,040 Likes on 2,208 Posts
I have a Bilstein 7100 series steering stabilizer and 35's. I put it on 30k miles ago. I also installed the 5100 series shocks from Bilstein at the same time. I have not experienced death wobble once since the install. Multiple times before...

Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
I'm on my second Super Duty with a combined 210,000 miles and never experienced the death wobble.

A guy a work has a 09 Super Duty and his had the death wobble. The Ford shop replaced the pan hard rod and it helped, but didn't completely fix the problem. I was looking at his truck and noticed he had D rated tires that were worn out, so he replaced them with E rated tires and he never had the problem again after a year of driving on them.

Good luck...

Old 12-24-2013, 03:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
3 different SD..never had the death wobble.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
I'm having it for the first time starting about a week ago at 52,000 miles. I do have a clunk in the front end so I assume I have a bushing gone bad. I'm also ready for some new tread.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:51 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
I got mine around 15K. Dealer replaced the steering dampener, but the DW is back after about 5K miles. It was a minor concern until I read the post on here about the guy that was towing his fiver through a construction zone and it started doing it between a barrier and a tractor trailer. Now that I'm towing a fiver, that resonated with me.

Not sure the link will do any good, but put my two cents in.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:17 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Not sure if it will do any good or not… but if we don't register our voices we are guaranteed that it won't do any good.

I say let the Govt know about the problem. It only takes about a minute and might save someones life.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gkerlin
Not sure if it will do any good or not… but if we don't register our voices we are guaranteed that it won't do any good.

I say let the Govt know about the problem. It only takes about a minute and might save someones life.
The govt knows about it, they've investigated it, with the Jeeps, Dodges, Fords, Etc. Problem is, not one definate thing causes it. I've fixed them with front end alignment, steering stabilizer replacement, tire replacement, taking out leveling kits, bushing replacement, even welding rivets on the frame. If it was one definate issue, there might be an arguement.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by vloney
The govt knows about it, they've investigated it, with the Jeeps, Dodges, Fords, Etc. Problem is, not one definate thing causes it. I've fixed them with front end alignment, steering stabilizer replacement, tire replacement, taking out leveling kits, bushing replacement, even welding rivets on the frame. If it was one definate issue, there might be an arguement.
How can you say the Govt knows about it and investigated it…?

Show me where you get the info to make that blanket statement. Show me the report.

What do you suggest? That we shut up and take it? I say stand up and be counted.

What was going on with my truck scared the crap out of me when it happened. Now its happened about 5 times. When I started to research it I find out that many folks are having or had the same problem. Yet not all of the heavier light truck manufactures are having this issue.

What is happening is downright dangerous. I think for better or worse we should stand up… be counted… and say something. Not sit back like a bunch of sheep and give up before we even try to get something done.

If you've had the problem give a lousy 2 minutes of your time to register it.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
How can you say the Govt knows about it and investigated it…?

Show me where you get the info to make that blanket statement. Show me the report.

What do you suggest? That we shut up and take it? I say stand up and be counted.

What was going on with my truck scared the crap out of me when it happened. Now its happened about 5 times. When I started to research it I find out that many folks are having or had the same problem. Yet not all of the heavier light truck manufactures are having this issue.

What is happening is downright dangerous. I think for better or worse we should stand up… be counted… and say something. Not sit back like a bunch of sheep and give up before we even try to get something done.

If you've had the problem give a lousy 2 minutes of your time to register it.
Here's your report....

Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Yep… that looks like my truck for sure. Looks like it was a Rancho promo piece using a 7 yr old NHTSA video. Thanks for that post.

I still think that if people complain maybe something will get done. If we sit around and do nothing, then we can be sure that nothing will get done. I fail to see the logic in saying its been investigated so lets do nothing.

I pull a heavy 5'ver and load a truck camper on my truck. Last summer I was on Red Mtn Pass in Colorado. (google it) Your wheels are inches from eternity. I can't imagine what would happen if the truck started to do that in that spot. You're going over the side.

I'm a Class A CDL holder and drove Reefers for several million miles and never ever had a truck do this to me. Something is wrong. Especially for a truck with only 40k miles that is religiously maintained. Sorry - I can't just accept that is the way it is.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:59 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Yep… that looks like my truck for sure. Looks like it was a Rancho promo piece using a 7 yr old NHTSA video. Thanks for that post.

I still think that if people complain maybe something will get done. If we sit around and do nothing, then we can be sure that nothing will get done. I fail to see the logic in saying its been investigated so lets do nothing.

I pull a heavy 5'ver and load a truck camper on my truck. Last summer I was on Red Mtn Pass in Colorado. (google it) Your wheels are inches from eternity. I can't imagine what would happen if the truck started to do that in that spot. You're going over the side.

I'm a Class A CDL holder and drove Reefers for several million miles and never ever had a truck do this to me. Something is wrong. Especially for a truck with only 40k miles that is religiously maintained. Sorry - I can't just accept that is the way it is.

Just my opinion.
No one said to accept it as is.... I would suggest stay with your plan to take it in on Thursday and let the dealer fix it. Also another option is to PM Crystal who is a Ford rep and she can elevate the importance to get this fixed at your selected dealer.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Got the death wobble? REPORT IT!