6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Got the death wobble? REPORT IT!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
RxSd2013
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelz3333
Well I guess I finally threw enough money at it to fix my death wobble problem. Got to a point where my wife would not drive the truck any more because of it and in fact twice made me come and pick her up on the side of the road crying because she was so scared when it happened. Started with new Michelin AT2 tires, Bilstein 5160 shocks, and an alignment. No change. Three trips to ford service only got me the usual "everything is within spec" statement and there is nothing we can do. I replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a Bilstein and although much better the problem was still not solved. I then added a Pro Comp Dual Stabilizer which uses Bilstein Shocks as well and was 1000% better. I left the single stabilizer in place as well so now am using three. The only problem was now it would bottom out on some bumps and potholes because of the Dual Stabilizer Bracket. Just finished putting ReadyLift SST stage 3 TP lift in as well as the RedyLift Trac Bar and all is good in my world. Gave me a 2.5" lift in the front and 3" in the back. Truck looks and drives great, steering is acceptable and I'm finally a happy guy again. Took some time but I feel its worth it now.
Glad it FINALLY got fixed! Such a shame we have to go so far to fix a problem that should NOT be there to begin with Got any pics of the install and/or the way the truck sits now?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM
wheelz3333
Freshman User
Death Wobble Solved

Originally Posted by RxSd2013
Glad it FINALLY got fixed! Such a shame we have to go so far to fix a problem that should NOT be there to begin with Got any pics of the install and/or the way the truck sits now?
I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them. Was just about to cut my losses and give up but glad I didn't.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Boston Mike
Junior User
Have just had this happen to me twice in the past week. 2012 CCSB Lariat with 23.5k miles on it. Dealer says it's tires, that the balljoints and everything else in the front end look just fine. Says I have tread depths of 3, 4, 5 and 6/32nds respectively. I'm shocked that they have worn that bad in just 23.5k miles. Michelin has agreed to warranty them as they say they are 60k mile tires, but would rather not have to do that every couple of years. i'm easy on my tires............................but I'm starting to think I'll get more life out of m y SHO's summer tires than my t ruck tires.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys. I have not experienced the death wobble. I have 18400 miles on my truck with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires (Original Ford supplied tires) and my truck is a 4X2 DRW. I'm wondering if there is a common denominator, such as all vehicles are 4X4 or all had Michelin tires or all trucks had lift kits. See where I'm going? I'm curious and wondering if I will experience it with my all stock truck.
I have noticed that my front tires are wearing on the outside edges and I'm careful to go easy on turns. I recently increased the air in them to 75 PSI vice the 65 PSI that the door placard states. I was planning to take it to the dealer to have front end alignment checked, but I'd hate to have the DW introduced by a change in alignment. What to do, what to do!?!?

Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Joe/GA
Hey guys. I have not experienced the death wobble. I have 18400 miles on my truck with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires (Original Ford supplied tires) and my truck is a 4X2 DRW. I'm wondering if there is a common denominator, such as all vehicles are 4X4 or all had Michelin tires or all trucks had lift kits. See where I'm going? I'm curious and wondering if I will experience it with my all stock truck.
I have noticed that my front tires are wearing on the outside edges and I'm careful to go easy on turns. I recently increased the air in them to 75 PSI vice the 65 PSI that the door placard states. I was planning to take it to the dealer to have front end alignment checked, but I'd hate to have the DW introduced by a change in alignment. What to do, what to do!?!?
You're a rare lucky one. You are immune to the death wobble disease with a 2x4. Completely different front end. My next SD will be a 2x4 just for that reason.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 AM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Averill7
You're a rare lucky one. You are immune to the death wobble disease with a 2x4. Completely different front end. My next SD will be a 2x4 just for that reason.
Hmmm...when I bought my truck, I agonized for a long time about 4X4. I've had 4X4 trucks before and never needed the 4 wheel drive to help myself. I only used it to help others that were stuck. I figured out that a 4X4 usually has the limited slip differential which helps on boat ramps and such. So, I now have a reason to be glad that I didn't get the 4X4! I hope they find a cure for you guys that have the 4X4.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 2x4 is a piece of wood. A 4x4 is a vehicle equipped with a transfer case to drive all 4 wheels. If you're going to refer to a truck crippled by only RWD, then probably call it RWD.

Few trucks ever experience death wobble. Every jeep wrangler that has ever rolled off the line (until recently) is 4WD, and all of those have a solid front axle. There are millions of 4x4's on the road. Not buying a 4x4 is fine if you never need it. You'll cuss yourself the first time you do need it, though.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
Kind of like not buying a vehicle for fear of a flat tire.

Very few trucks have this issue. Based on my experience, I'll discount any clams of wobble on any vehicle that's had any kind of suspension mod, has oversize tires, offset wheels, lift, etc. I say that because I actually introduced wobble in my truck by changing out the stock steering stabilizer. The stock one wasn't bad or worn out. I was just trying to preempt a potential issue.

The replacement I bought seemed kind of wimpy. In addition, the gas charge in it gave the truck a slight pull to the left. Finally when I noticed that large bumps at freeway speed, especially when hit by a single wheel caused the wobble, I decided to go back to the stock, much stiffer stabilizer. That is the best thing I ever did for the truck. Wobble problem solved!

In addition, replacing the original tires which were worn down to between 3/32 and 5/32 with a new set added greatly to the stability of the truck.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
I had the track bar ball joint replaced and that cured about 85% of mine. This one ball joint is responsible for keeping the axle in place from any sideways movement. I think this is probably the weak link in the chain.

The best way to check is to lay on the ground in front of the vehicle and have your wife turn the steering wheel side to side while watching the joint where the track bar joins the solid axle. If there is any play in the joint it needs replacing.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Firekite
A 2x4 is a piece of wood. A 4x4 is a vehicle equipped with a transfer case to drive all 4 wheels. If you're going to refer to a truck crippled by only RWD, then probably call it RWD.

Few trucks ever experience death wobble. Every jeep wrangler that has ever rolled off the line (until recently) is 4WD, and all of those have a solid front axle. There are millions of 4x4's on the road. Not buying a 4x4 is fine if you never need it. You'll cuss yourself the first time you do need it, though.
Really. A 4x4 is also a piece of wood. 2x4 is an official term in many worlds. My wife has an 08 wrangler, solid front axle, yes, ball joint on track bar, nope. The problem isn't the axle, it's the ball joint. Of the 6 2011 and up super duty in my family, all but one has had the death wobble. All were completely stock and still under warranty. When you experience the real DW you will no longer make crap comments like this and the others nearby.

Careful how you word your comments, thanks

Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
I know EXACTLY what death wobble is. I own three of these trucks with a combined total of over 150,000 miles. The only truck to ever exhibit this problem is my personal driver, which was due to the reason I stated above (Bilstein 5100)

Old 01-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Yeah, you can talk as much silly trash as you want, but whatever you're doing to your trucks is not normal or you're making stuff up on the Internet. And rarely is the problem ball joints.

Now I wonder what in the world you think we're talking about, especially using terms like 2x4, blaming ball joints, and insisting 5 out of 6 of your stock 2011 trucks have it. By the way, if you insist on using numeric designations at least go with 4x2. But 2WD or RWD is much clearer and more common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_drive

Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Yeah, you can talk as much silly trash as you want, but whatever you're doing to your trucks is not normal or you're making stuff up on the Internet. And rarely is the problem ball joints.

Now I wonder what in the world you think we're talking about, especially using terms like 2x4, blaming ball joints, and insisting 5 out of 6 of your stock 2011 trucks have it. By the way, if you insist on using numeric designations at least go with 4x2. But 2WD or RWD is much clearer and more common.

Two-wheel drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well...I wish it was something we did, completely stock, I swear. No lift, original tires, no off roading. Ford even replaced every steering component that wears, $1200 worth of parts. Still had the problem. When I replaced the ford trac bar with a readylift antiwobble trac bar, the problem is gone. No more ball joint, gone. So, yes, it is the ball joint. In the right situation, you can find a place where the DW occurs every time, I even took two brand new four wheel drive ( clear enough ) super duties off the lot for a "test drive" to this spot, same thing. DW every truck. You just have to find the right spot. Ford has a known problem, hence the TSB on these trucks. Enough of this, until you have spent time doing research of your own, keep blanket statements to your self please.

Other than the DW, this is the best HD truck on the market.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
What do you think DW is?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Averill7
Senior User
What do you think DW is?
- Super Duty - SKIP TO 1:00 minute

Chrysler acknowledges Jeep "death wobble" | Video | abc7news.com - Jeep TSB on ABC news

It is SO bad when in real person that you are willing to walk home for fear of it happening again. When towing 14K lbs and in a construction zone with a semi on one side and a concrete barricade on the other, its a code brown moment.

Quick Reply: Got the death wobble? REPORT IT!