1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Need some pics please of complete CV swaps for ride height example

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need some pics please of complete CV swaps for ride height example

As some have probably seen I have started a thread asking questions about the crown vic swap. In this thread id like to see what ur CV swaps look like once complete to get a idea of how low the nose is with stock springs etc.

Im trying to go for a resto mod look. Little bit of rake. Big tires in the rear and a little smaller in front. Drag truck look. I have along bed though... -.-

Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 PM
rippy154
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like your idea a lot and it was one I was tossing around for a little while. I was thinking of some 31 x 10.50 MT drag radials in the back with some centerline skinnies in the front and even thought of a roll cage going threw the roof and going down to the bed floor. Than at some point I really fell in love my 59 and wanted to go more daily driver ( well 3 season driver up here in Ma)

I think it would be a real good a look on a long bed.

I think the front end would work for what your trying to do and I can see if I can borrow some skinny centerlines from a friend of mine to see if they will clear the brakes.

You could always install the spacers on the bottom of your frame rail as not to get maximum drop on the CV and then just remove a few leafs in the rear,order drop leafs, or due an axle flip .

You wouldn't have to worry about the CV track width because you would want a narrow rear end and usually you don't have the same rims front and rear. You could order some 10" rims with a shallow BS in the truck pattern and order some different wheels for the front in the car pattern

Just my 2 cents

Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 AM
cyclone-429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDuty93
Im trying to go for a resto mod look. Little bit of rake. Big tires in the rear and a little smaller in front. Drag truck look. I have along bed though... -.-
I see you are in So Cal... I hope you have better luck that I just did. I hit the tire shop a few days ago where I asked for bigger rears & smaller fronts. New CA law says all tires must now be the same height. He refused to sell me anything else.

Not really looking for the rake, but with a 429 & no power steering, I need traction in back & easier steering up front. Lucky for me & am heading for Oregon next week to visit family, & will be bringing my rims with me.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:28 AM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Where did you go? That's so pathetic. What liberal moron came up with that law.... I use to work at discount tire so ill just bring the wheels in and be like I need these and these tires put on. Then if they ask if its for a street legal car I say no its a drag car. End of story. Merry Christmas !

Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclone-429
I see you are in So Cal... I hope you have better luck that I just did. I hit the tire shop a few days ago where I asked for bigger rears & smaller fronts. New CA law says all tires must now be the same height. He refused to sell me anything else.

Not really looking for the rake, but with a 429 & no power steering, I need traction in back & easier steering up front. Lucky for me & am heading for Oregon next week to visit family, & will be bringing my rims with me.
What about width, does the law regulate this too? But what can expect in a state that re-elected JB. We are so over regulated, I sure wish I could move..

Old 12-25-2013, 01:05 PM
cyclone-429
Senior User
It was a Big-O tire, & I have done lots of business there. Yes, you can have a different width, as long as they are the same height.

I didn't check anywhere else to verify... like I said, I'm going to Oregon next week. I made a joke about buying there so I wont pay the tax to support the morons that make up these stupid laws just to keep their job. I know that sounds bad, but hey, I just want some tires! Is that too much to ask?

Old 12-25-2013, 01:23 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
To many hippies still alive..... Comifornia.....

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far about the CV swap. Still no pics though Im afraid that a long bed will look stupid compared to a short bed if I make it a drag truck look... like this look https://www.google.com/search?q=59+f...04%3B500%3B375

So if anyone has a pic of the CV swap on their rig with the MINIMUM about of drop (meaning like the the highest it could sit with CV suspension) that would be much appreciated

Old 12-25-2013, 03:24 PM
rippy154
Senior User
To many hippies still alive..... Comifornia.....

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far about the CV swap. Still no pics though Im afraid that a long bed will look stupid compared to a short bed if I make it a drag truck look... like this look https://www.google.com/search?q=59+f...04%3B500%3B375

So if anyone has a pic of the CV swap on their rig with the MINIMUM about of drop (meaning like the the highest it could sit with CV suspension) that would be much appreciated

I disagree.... I think the long bed would look better with the drag style more so than the short bed... especially if you really filled the rear wheel wells up with some fatties....

I hate to suggest it but it is only a matter of cutting out 8" and you have a short bed.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:55 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rippy154
I disagree.... I think the long bed would look better with the drag style more so than the short bed... especially if you really filled the rear wheel wells up with some fatties....

I hate to suggest it but it is only a matter of cutting out 8" and you have a short bed.
Wait it was only a 8" difference for this model year... *facepalm* had no idea. I thought short beds for a 59 were like 3' shorter.... hehe ok sweet back on track again then!

Hard to believe no one has a pic of this with the minimum drop of like 4" or so. I don't like slammed trucks. Especially cuz everything else I drive are 4x4's haha

Old 12-25-2013, 04:20 PM
rippy154
Senior User
Wait it was only a 8" difference for this model year... *facepalm* had no idea. I thought short beds for a 59 were like 3' shorter.... hehe ok sweet back on track again then!

Hard to believe no one has a pic of this with the minimum drop of like 4" or so. I don't like slammed trucks. Especially cuz everything else I drive are 4x4's haha
I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure short bed was 110 WB and the long bed was 118 WB

Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rippy154
I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure short bed was 110 WB and the long bed was 118 WB
I just looked. Wheelbase wise yes its 8" longer. But the bed itself hangs off more. 8' bed vs 6.5' bed

Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 AM
mgargiullo
Senior User
I just picked up a '57 shortbed and am interested in the cv swap. Originally I wanted a '52-56, but fell in love with the '57 when I saw it listed on Craigslist. Its pretty original, but I'd love to see what it looks like with cv swap... Very interested in the better handling.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by mgargiullo
I just picked up a '57 shortbed and am interested in the cv swap. Originally I wanted a '52-56, but fell in love with the '57 when I saw it listed on Craigslist. Its pretty original, but I'd love to see what it looks like with cv swap... Very interested in the better handling.
Im curious as to the handling myself. I just got my CV suspension yesterday as I posted in my build thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:12 AM
millertme
Senior User
Mind sharing what you paid for the CV swap? I'm debating waiting for the next Pick N Pull half day sale which should be < 250 total or just to see another wrecker in Rancho Cordova.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by millertme
Mind sharing what you paid for the CV swap? I'm debating waiting for the next Pick N Pull half day sale which should be < 250 total or just to see another wrecker in Rancho Cordova.

I paid $180 for the entire suspension Wheels and tires included,lol

Quick Reply: Need some pics please of complete CV swaps for ride height example