6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Never ending regen cycle?! Any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Countryboys6.4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never ending regen cycle?! Any ideas??

Hey yall, im new to this forum and need some help from some fellow powerstroke owners, please! Ive been reading quite a few threads on here about some members having problems with their 6.4s regen'ing more frequently then they usually do, especially this thread my eyes have been glued to for the past hour...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...e=5&styleid=19

The problem with my truck is not that its regen'ing too often, the problem is that its STUCK in regen cycle. For the past 4-5 days my truck has been going into regen about 1-2 min after i start driving it, every single time i start her up. If i start my truck in the morning and let it warm up for a few min, i come out and my truck is idling higher then normal and has an increased exhaust smell, but when i aply the brake the idle goes back to normal. Then i start driving up the street and BAM "cleaning exhaust filter" message comes up and the and imidiatley the sound of the exhaust and induction changes and it sounds like sputtering/knocking. Sometimes the the engine will flutter in decel or shutdown. HORRIBLE gas mileage, Reduced engine response and power, and white smoke is cooler temps. Basically all of the normal signs of a regen cycle, am i wrong? Im pretty sure its either a dpf sensor or possibly something wrong with the DPF? i havent had one problem with my 2010 besides an egr valve and she has 167k miles and is completely stock and im very happy with my truck!

Please feel free to post your thoughts/ideas Thanks yall, Tim

Old 12-20-2013, 11:21 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Countryboys6.4
Hey yall, im new to this forum and need some help from some fellow powerstroke owners, please! Ive been reading quite a few threads on here about some members having problems with their 6.4s regen'ing more frequently then they usually do, especially this thread my eyes have been glued to for the past hour...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...e=5&styleid=19

The problem with my truck is not that its regen'ing too often, the problem is that its STUCK in regen cycle. For the past 4-5 days my truck has been going into regen about 1-2 min after i start driving it, every single time i start her up. If i start my truck in the morning and let it warm up for a few min, i come out and my truck is idling higher then normal and has an increased exhaust smell, but when i aply the brake the idle goes back to normal. Then i start driving up the street and BAM "cleaning exhaust filter" message comes up and the and imidiatley the sound of the exhaust and induction changes and it sounds like sputtering/knocking. Sometimes the the engine will flutter in decel or shutdown. HORRIBLE gas mileage, Reduced engine response and power, and white smoke is cooler temps. Basically all of the normal signs of a regen cycle, am i wrong? Im pretty sure its either a dpf sensor or possibly something wrong with the DPF? i havent had one problem with my 2010 besides an egr valve and she has 167k miles and is completely stock and im very happy with my truck!

Please feel free to post your thoughts/ideas Thanks yall, Tim
Any codes??? Dpf maybe clogged up. You are driving it enough when it starts to end the cycle correct?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The high idle is proper for a cold 6.4, no worries there, the constant regen needs to be fixed, take it to a dealer or diesel shop. You no doubt are adding tons of fuel to your oil also so after getting the issue fixed change your oil.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Countryboys6.4
New User
Thanks for your input guys! I agree that it could be a cloged DPF and i also belive it could be sensor related.. Before and after dpf sensors maybe..? Id like to avoid the dealer because ive taken it in already for this problem and according to them "the truck is fine and there is nothing to worry about". Which is absolutely wrong because regens are hard on the engine and everything is clearly not fine or the truck would not be regen'ing all the time.

And just an update, like i said the trucks been stuck in regen for the past 4-5 days... Well last night when i was driving home from my buddys house the truck did not go into regen for the entire 10 mile ride home (usually goes into regen right away, sometimes before i even take it out of park) and truck was preforming perfect, no noises, smells or power loss at all!! Same deal with thismorning on my way to work, truck didnt regen and it drove perfect. This problem has been happening on and off for the past month or two which is why i took it to the dealer, and they said it was fine. This is by far the longest its been "stuck" in regen, and now it seems fine..?? And yes, i have driven far enough for the regen to finish but it just never ended and would restart every single time i drive it...
Its not throwing any codes either btw

Thanks guys, Tim

Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
reaganla
Junior User
Tim I believe the idle is just the nature of the truck. My 08 has been completely deleted and always idles up from 650rpm to around 1100 rpm unless I tap the brake or throttle, then it resumes at 650 for about 120secs... have you considered a delete and tune?

Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Countryboys6.4
New User
Thanks reaganla for theachin me somethin new today! I didnt know that was normal for the truck to idle like that. Yes im 100% sold on deleting and tuning after what ive been reading. I know about tuners and stuff but ive always tended to stay away from those types of things on my vehicles due to factory warranties and already being happy with my truck as stock and seeing no need for it. But now that ive been towing more as well ive been looking into a tuner, dpf & cat delete, cai and egr delete. I will be doing all of that withing the next 2-3 weeks

Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 PM
reaganla
Junior User
I'm confident you will like it. I love mine and its very dependable, 264,214 miles. I deleted and tuned around 75,000 miles. Sinister took care of egr,4" straight pipe took care of cat/dpf, and SCT livewire eliminated regens. Trans really came to life and mpg increased significantly. I hope you have the same luck as I did. I also have S&B stage two intake. Post results and let us know how you like it

Old 12-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Countryboys6.4
New User
Thanks for the info ill definatley let you know how i like it!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by reaganla
I'm confident you will like it. I love mine and its very dependable, 264,214 miles. I deleted and tuned around 75,000 miles. Sinister took care of egr,4" straight pipe took care of cat/dpf, and SCT livewire eliminated regens. Trans really came to life and mpg increased significantly. I hope you have the same luck as I did. I also have S&B stage two intake. Post results and let us know how you like it
264,000 miles, that's nice, and countryboys6.4 you will LIKE your truck much more than you do now.