She'll be comin' round the mountain

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Parts I already got are free......Would have to get the gm tranny (WITH an EBRAKE on the Tail). But I think I know someone who has one,

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Oh, and I got some 8.25 x 20s yesterday off craigslist. My Buddy Tim and I went to Seattle to follow up on a CL add. We both live WAY out in the sticks and the CL address was in Seattle's ghetto district. We were afraid we'd get rolled so we had a guy I know from the area ride backup in his truck. Went OK. Got a matched set of four tractions and 2 steer tires for 50 bucks each. All were on widowmakers. I might do the switcheroo, but I might cave and take them to the mainland to a tire shop. They are really nice tires though. Did I mention we went to a bikini bistro drive through coffee stand on the way? It was like two geeks day off! Hubba hubba.

Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM
real550A
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good buy on the tires, Gary. That one rim seems to have a larger center hole than the others. Must be for a bigger axle....ouch!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
All 4 of the traction tires have that huge painful center hole. No problem, the ruined rims are all widowmakers. .....

Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Had a good day today it was nice and sunny so I went into the woods with the tractor and retreived the flatbed. I was gonna break down a bunch of rims, but had a lot of visitors stop by. I would rather have a few friends than break down 8.25 20 tires off rusty old rims. To quote some old shop worn expression.... Life is good.

Attached Images     
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 PM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
nice pictures. i should be able too start on mine in a few weeks. can,t wait!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Sunny day. Jump all over that old that old truck **** when you can''''''

Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Been raining a lot here and my darn job keeps getting in the way of my truck project. I did however have to make a 2 day trip to the mainland to haul back some reclaimed beams for a project, and guess what, it took me right past my favorite truck tire shop so I dropped off the tractions on widowmakers along with 4 cracked tires in lock ring wheels and had them do the switch. I still need 1 more lock ring wheel to get my new steer tires on. I did put the 8.25s that were on the rear on the front to level things up. Been having all kinds of thoughts on the powerplant and tough finding the tranny I need, so I called a local tow truck guy who has old vehicles and sure enough, an 8ba, good runner under his bench for 500.00. I'm gonna pick it up this afternoon. I'll do brakes next, then drop in the flathead. That's not to say I won't go diesel on it next winter, but that's a major project. For now I need it to run. I have one 'fix it' bay in my shop and wife's commuter needs brakes, so I'll be towing the '47 out with the tractor. I'll fill you in on the engine when I get it.

Attached Images    
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM
real550A
Senior User
I really enjoy your pictures of the scenery around the Sound. The Olympic Penninsula and surrounding islands are the best. If I didn't have most of my family in Mn., I'd be living out there myself.
Nice looking beams, just like finding gold around here. Sounds like you're making good progress on the '47, even small steps are good!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
The beams ARE my gold. Picked up the flathead, but stopped at the local waterin' hole on the way home. My wife was in the house cooking dinner when I got home, but she came out and helped me chain up the engine and get it off my truck. Best wife evvver.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your post about the beams reminded me of this guy, he run's a towing and recovery business in Long Beach and pulls big beams off the beach now and then:

Evidently they're from the wreck of the "Canadian Exporter." She ran aground there in 1921 with 3 million board feet of lumber!

The truck's looking good too, a flathead for $500 isn't bad deal at all.

Sam

Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Great Video... Thanks! I recently heard that story, but not all the details. My recent order I am now filling is for 8500 board feet which weighs about 17,000 lbs. I can't even imagine what 3 million board feet of beams would be like. At 5 bucks a foot, it would be like cha-ching in my world!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cha-ching for sure! He was saying he can get a couple grand for each beam!

The rain around here has been driving me nuts, I want to work on some projects, but I also hate being cold and wet.

Sam

Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
It's been miserable and dreary around here lately. Last load of beams to haul tomorrow, and I'm hoping to pick up an intake manifold for this 8ba so I can test it out. Tatom's Custom Engines, a well known flathead builder is right near where I pick up the beams, and I'm thinking he'd have a stock intake. He normally builds with multi-carb setups. Hoping to pull the stuck 59ab out after work. Heck, I might even pick up a gm 4 speed with parking brake I found. That way I can measure up that bolted to the cummins, just in case I change my mind one more time. I have never been so undecided about a truck renovation project. Any encouragement from you guys, one way or another?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM
real550A
Senior User
The biggest question in my little mind is: What is your vision for this truck?
You seem to have a nice late model hauler, and a strong intermediate (59) heavy duty hauler, so is the '47 to be your stylish, Sunday go to meetin' hauler?
If it's not to be pressed into severe duty, I think the flathead exudes the "cool factor" because it's what came in there. On the other hand, what's cooler than a vintage truck with a diesel? I truly see your dilemma!
There's no doubt in my mind you'll come up with the best combination.

Quick Reply: She'll be comin' round the mountain