Sponsored by: Moser

Bonehead move today with my FX4

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bonehead move today with my FX4

Was tired today after working a long day today, and went to park my truck in my usual RV spot on the side of my house. The area is just large enough for approximately a 35' trailer, and has a cinder-block retaining wall on three sides.

Anyway, was backing my truck into the spot in reverse at probably 1-2 mph or less (just off stall speed) and backed right into the wall. LUCKILY, I had left my ball mount attached to the hitch, and it took the impact. Here's the deal, my wall has about a dime sized impression, and my ball mount is scratched ever so lightly. The lockpin and ball mount slid, right out as well without any issue and the lockpin was not bent or damaged.

My worry is that it was a fairly large jolt felt from the cab. I was rear-ended at a stop light in my last truck, with the ball mount on it and it felt at least the same as backing into this wall accidentally.

I'm embarrassed about this, as this FX4 has both the rear camera and rear sensors and quite frankly I sort of got distracted by both and hit the wall.

Anyway, there is zero damage visible to the truck, the hitch or anything else I can see. I looked at it for at least 30 min measuring stuff and looking at the frame and bumper mounts and everything looks fine.

Should I take my truck to a shop and get my frame looked at, or just not worry about it as there is no visible damage, and the truck doesn't drive any differently?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Should I take my truck to a shop and get my frame looked at, or just not worry about it as there is no visible damage, and the truck doesn't drive any differently?
I think it's unlikely that you did any damage to the frame, as any load would have been applied equally to both frame rails. It would take a much harder impact than that to bend your frame.

I would, however, be mildly concerned about the integrity of the hitch. I would take a good look at the hitch and ensure that all of the welds are still fine and that it's not tweaked. Just my thoughts of course, but from your description I'm pretty confident your truck is just fine.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will admit to having done the same thing in the past... it's bone-jarring for sure, but the truck nor the hitch suffered any ill effects. It would be prudent to closely inspect the hitch, weld points, etc. just in case.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done that before. 1-2 mph I wouldn't worry with. I think surprise is more bone jarring then the impact itself.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Thanks fellas, I was just worried as you guy were right. It was quite bone jarring. I checked the welds, and everything still looks good.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
The Ball and the securing pin . One might break one day unusually ? I would replace them when U get a chance.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 AM
DLTtoday
Junior User
We've all done similar...we just usually don't tell anyone....

I agree with others...shake head foolishly. check welds...ride on.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by DLTtoday
We've all done similar...we just usually don't tell anyone....

I agree with others...shake head foolishly. check welds...ride on.
First thing my wife says was "You have a @&$%# reverse camera, and SENSORS to tell you when to stop" "How do you still end up backing into the house"

Was more worried about the wall, while I was worried about my truck.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Lol at your wife. I really don't think you hurt it though. I smack mine against trailer tongues all the time (no backup camera, but after this thread I see they don't do much good lol). A panic stop with a 3-4,000 trailer has got to stress it more. I've seen a ball mount bent straight where it curves after the trailer the truck was pulling was rear ended at a bight rate of speed, no breaks, just bent.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

It sounded and fealt worse than it was because it surprised you. Don't worry about it. CB

Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I keep a trailer hitch and ball on my truck just for this purpose as I don't have the reverse sensing equipment.

This summer when I was picking up Sarah at the airport from her summer of fun at Army basic training I was backing into my stall. I got too close and I hit the wall with my ball hitch. Scared the crap out of me!!!!

Thank God it was the hitch and not my bumper.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I keep a trailer hitch and ball on my truck just for this purpose as I don't have the reverse sensing equipment.

This summer when I was picking up Sarah at the airport from her summer of fun at Army basic training I was backing into my stall. I got too close and I hit the wall with my ball hitch. Scared the crap out of me!!!!

Thank God it was the hitch and not my bumper.
Same here, if the ball mount wasn't on my truck, would have easily been $1100-$1500 in damage to the truck. Our bumpers are paper thin.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Same here, if the ball mount wasn't on my truck, would have easily been $1100-$1500 in damage to the truck. Our bumpers are paper thin.
Hence the need for a solution, a ball hitch.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
That "solution" goes both ways though. Our bumpers are likely as thin as they are for both weight reduction and crashworthiness purposes. Of course backing into a wall like that it certainly protects your truck.

But if you were to back into someone's car you would inflict far more damage on their car than you would if you didn't have the ball mount in. That's damage that your insurance would be liable for, and would be used to raise your premiums with. I never leave mine in; I think it's inconsiderate because people can whack their knees on it and it makes it that much easier to hit someone.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Truckpilot1329
Senior User
I have the back=up sensing system built into the rear view mirror. The problem I have
is that the rear window is factory tinted very dark. When I'm backing and
looking at the camera image, it's bright. When I refocus on the regular mirror, it's
really hard to see what's back there.
This situation is aggravated in a tight, busy parking lot, so I'm always the F-150 out in
the north 40, nosed into the lane.

Quick Reply: Bonehead move today with my FX4