Computer Chips & Tuners  

Just tossing an idea; ECM/PCM "slave mode" tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just tossing an idea; ECM/PCM "slave mode" tune?

I just thought of this in my head today, don't ask me why.
Sometimes I have to ask "why", and I can't help it.

We all know that tuners, programmers etc are a fun way to change parameters, boost power, and make a vehicle run the way you want.
Most tuners and programmers come with tunes that most people want. You could say that the available products satisfy the majority of the customers.

Stick with me for a minute or two here though;
WHAT IF:
A tune could be loaded onto the ECM/PCM unit, and the tunes only programming or function was to relay information back and forth to a secondary unit plugged into the OBD connector?
The secondary unit would be a small cheap microcontroller with a serial to OBD2 connector. Android computers are like 40$. Maybe a good candidate.

In this instance, the ECM would still monitor sensors, buses, etc, but instead of calculating anything, it would just store the values, which you could read with the secondary computer.
Likewise, the control functions like fueling, timing, etc, would be controlled by the ECM still, but only after receiving the command from the secondary computer.

A safety could be built in; if the connection did not update for the last 1/4 second, ECM would just shut down.

If a secondary computer, such as an android computer, was able to read all the engine parameters and values, and send commands back, all through the ECM/PCM, really weird custom tuning could be done, and in a wide array of programming options.

Plus, at this point, you could also connect new sensors directly to the secondary computer, and use them in the custom programming. Or, control extra devices with the secondary computer.

Different bus data from different models and makes would need some end user programming to make sense of, I'm sure. But the actual program loaded onto the vehicles PCM seems like it would be fairly simple.

If you are totally lost; this would make the vehicles original computer act as a "slave", doing only what it's told, and nothing else. Essentially, a second computer would control the vehicle, and the secondary computer could theoretically be whatever you connect, programmed in whatever computer language you are familiar with.

Why would anyone want this? EVER?
I don't know; maybe you want to swap newer electronic controlled engines into different vehicles?
Maybe you need to get an engine running and there is no aftermarket tunes that will work?
Maybe you want an elaborate tune that still does regen cycles, but uses a GPS chip to determine the best time to start one?
Maybe you want a tune that could calculate the acceleration times, estimate the weight of the trailer, and calibrate the tuning safely for that weight?
Maybe you want to put an air grid heater on a 350 chevy, or spark plugs on a 6.4 diesel? lol

I can't imagine all the possibilities, but it seems like if you can read any value from a PCM/ECM, and send commands through it, PLUS aquire data and control extra devices with the secondary computer, there is a huge amount of possibilities.

This programming could be sold by tuning companies, and used by people who bought their tuners, and are needing more control over the vehicle....

Maybe not quite so profitable as supplying all the tunes, but then again, if it was sold as a "diagnostic" tune, as in connect to a computer intended to do data logging, they aren't supplying any "DPF" delete tunes either.

I dunno, it was a thought, maybe a stupid one, but it does seem cool to an extent.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the way you think.
We get adaptive or learning software that is very limited in it's ability to evolve.
We have short term erratic patterns that the software develops into long term general patterns.
In my case - new truck - drive it hard to see what it will do - using too much gas back off to increase or investigate mpg's - not much there - go back to hard driving and giving up mpg's - check out tow/haul mode and bang around town - like it and use more gas - not cool - tranny is still stupid about shifting - buy a tuner and program the truck - what about the warranty? Damn it!! Kind of had to do it - love the tune - it's worth it - warranty? ****! - who cares now?
I'd like to build a program - don't know how - can I bypass the factory ******* program and drive my truck like a truck? - maybe - - - - -
I would love to get some software that evolves with a driver while the factory retarded computer sits off to the side and jealously watches.
Are we on the same page?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BossGasser
I would love to get some software that evolves with a driver while the factory retarded computer sits off to the side and jealously watches.
Are we on the same page?
Possibly;
if a tune or program DID exist as I imagined and explained above; it would be far easier to customize the way the vehicle runs, using a platform that a lot of people already know how to program with.

It could theoretically be as simple or complex as someone desired.
The factory computer would still technically do everything, but it would rely on a secondary computer to actually tell it what to do, ie work as a SLAVE.

You wouldn't control every spark, or diesel injection, individually, but rather you would adjust the timing, pulse width, etc on the fly.
All of the variables that the factory computer reads, would simply transfer over to the secondary computer, and likewise, the factory computer would still control the truck, but at the direction of the secondary computer.

After an initial program was made for the secondary computer, whatever type that ends up being, it would be easier and easier to develop further and change things, cause you could build off of old code.

It could be also possible to monitor engine parameters to predict failure more accurately than just reading a code.
For EG, calculate EOT vs ECT, while comparing it to estimated load behind truck, comparing that to ambient temperature.

And you could also have a cool screen hooked up

Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...the factory computer would still control the truck, but at the direction of the secondary computer."
I like that!