Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Freshman User

TxFord0207 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Performance Shop / Tune

2006 F-250 4x4
I was looking for a performance shop in the Dallas area. I actually live in Garland. But i haven't found may shops that can work on these diesels.
Example: Someone to order a tuner or programmer from but also to install and tune the truck after. Or if i bought gauges for my truck, i'd like someone who could install them so i know that its done right, instead of me trying to do it all myself. I understand that some of you may not think its a good idea or that its not needed, and i respect your opinion. But i would like some input from people that have these items and where the got them and had them installed.
As always, any help is always appreciated.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Postmaster

04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold
To Find a good Shop you could look in the Chapters close to you , go to the Forums click then Chapters click and find the area, as far as the Gauges Most use Scan Gauge from Auto zone you will have to enter ford X Gauges into it and its real simple to do ask and somebody will get you the full PID spread sheet. You found the right web site FTE, will teach and save you Lots of money to where you will and can work on your Own 6.0L . Welcome to FTE Oh and also the TECH folders from the main page lots of great Info and take a look at the 6.0 Bible to get Familer with where all these parts and sensers are.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
If you buy this:
Amazon.com: Edge Products 83830 CTS Insight Monitor: Automotive Amazon.com: Edge Products 83830 CTS Insight Monitor: Automotive

You plug one cable into the OBDII port, and it just works. Zero install.

If you buy the $440 tuner:
https://gearheadautomotiveperformanc...product/combos
You plug one cable into the OBDII port, push a button, and it works.

There's no "installation" for these, there's just using them. If you had a shop install the CTS, then you would still have to learn how to use it. I run the exact same setup, an SCT SF3 3015 tuner installed under an Edge Insight CTS, and it's all 100% plug-and-play simplicity. If you're still worried about pushing the buttons, I can meet you at any Starbucks or Waffle House around Dallas and show you how to do it. We have at least a half dozen guys from DFW here that would probably be glad to show you how to use the hardware.

The only things that need to be "installed" are going to be stand alone gauges like fuel pressure or EGT. But I couldn't name a shop in DFW that does that. Closest ones I've heard of are in Emory, Gainsville, Bandera, and Houston. Not that they for sure don't exist, I just couldn't vouch for any of them even if I could name them.

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Freshman User

TxFord0207 is starting off with a positive reputation.
what about the other one?
SCT 5015 Tuner and Tunes for 6.0 ???

And for the Edge what is the difference between the one you showed me and this one:
Edge Products 85250 Evolution CTS programmer ????

Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
The Edge Evolution is a programmer. The Insight I linked to is an essentially identical piece of hardware to the Evo CTS, but the Insight is only a gauge box and can't push programming into the PCM. Edge sells canned tuning that can't be changed out, whereas with an SCT tuner you can buy custom tunes that are generally accepted as being better. There's a lot going around that Edge will damage the transmission, but it won't, that was an early shift-on-the-fly model that had that problem. Edge tuners are limited because you can't swap out the tunes it comes with, that's the real benefit to getting an SCT tuner.

The SCT 5015 is a programmer that has gauge capability built into it, but I've never seen a list of what it can actually show or do. It's definitely an option, I just can't confirm what it does exactly. I recommend the SCT 3015/digital gauge combo because you get all the flexibility of SCT tuning with a gauge system that's purpose built and run by a lot of people here who can help you sort it out. But if you don't want to add components individually (read: buy used to save $), the 5015 is probably the best single-package deal.

The separate gauge options commonly brought up around here are the:
Edge Insight CTS
Torque App for android phones
DashBoss app for iPhones/iPads
Scangauge II
DashDaq

I recommend the Edge Insight CTS because you plug it in once, you leave it in the truck, it covers 95% of what you need to see, and it's pre-programmed so you don't have to sit around typing in a ton of numbers.

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Postmaster

04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold
Bryon, most of those will still pull DTC ( codes ) right
Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Disgruntled Texan

The Insight, DashBoss and SCT 3015 (and I'd assume 5015) do. The Scangauge kind of sucks in that department, and I don't know about Torque or DashDaq because I haven't used them. Then of course AE is the heavy lifter for diagnostics.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Postmaster

Cool Thanks, I have the Scan Gauge II and Have pull a few codes that poped up . I'm still looking at the Dash boss maybe Santa will be nice this year LOL
Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
DashDaq because I haven't used them. Then of course AE is the heavy lifter for diagnostics.
DashDAQ does quite well in the code department. If you get the expanded license (have to with AE as well) then it can pull even more codes.

However, with the Evolution. Doesn't Power Hungry use the Evolution as a base for their custom tuning for some engines? Don't know if it applies to the 6.0 specifically or diesel in general, but I do believe that they do use the Evolution as a base for their custom tuning.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
However, with the Evolution. Doesn't Power Hungry use the Evolution as a base for their custom tuning for some engines? Don't know if it applies to the 6.0 specifically or diesel in general, but I do believe that they do use the Evolution as a base for their custom tuning.
They used to, at least it was based on that platform. I think they have their own brand of tune now although they may still be able to alter Edge programming.....

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Disgruntled Texan

I don't know exactly what happened with PHP and the Evo platform. I heard it was an updating issue because the Evo wasn't meant to be able to swap tune files, but that might just be a rumor. Yes Bill used to sell the Gryphon CTS with custom tuning, but to the best of my knowledge they aren't selling them anymore, and even when they did I don't think they weren't able to convert an Evo to a Gryphon.

Another internet rumor I've heard is that Bill wrote the canned Edge 6.0L tunes. Judging by his other 6.0 work (FICM tunes) they aren't "bad" tunes to run, you're just stuck with the tunes that came loaded into the box.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
gauges, performance, programmers, shops