Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Freshman User

wyo2track is starting off with a positive reputation.
V-10 vs. 6.2L test drives

I have been taking in all the great information shared on this 6.2L forum. The information shared about the 6.2L and 3V V-10 is wonderful. This weekend I had got test drive a used 6.2L and 3V V-10. I've been wading through the used truck market and finally last week I popped open the original window sticker of a 2012 F250 XLT FX4 CC SB with +24K miles on it and there was the rare bird staring back at me; 4.30 ELA. Picked up the phone, called the dealer, and made sure I got first right or refusal. Dealer says ' its in a little rough shape' and he said he also had a 2010 F350 V-10 CC to that I could try out. In the end, didn't purchase either trucks. Don't see how some people can buy a +$47k dollar vehicle and trash it out in two years time, big bummer...thats used truck shopping; and the V-10, gorgeous truck, only 35K miles, leather but I don't get along with the color red and the long box crew cab won't fit it my garage unless the workbench gets taken out. Got to take both trucks on the same 15 mile test loop. Both trucks are already broken in so there was no wondering what this one or that one would feel like when broken in.
The test drives.. well, from the information all the users share on this forum, there was nothing that I didn't find out, I just actually got to feel/see it for myself and can understand now where each opinion comes from.
The 6.2L with 4.30's, didn't disappoint. With just a light dusting of sand on the roads from a recent snow that had melted it was very easy to waste power and tire rubber. Unloaded, the trans acted as everyone says...I think it thought there was only 4 gears, 1,2,5, & 6. Definitely a little different strategy. I found a 1/4 mile hill with a 5% grade, open that 6.2 up from a stop, WOW, the truck went from a putter to full out BEAST MODE! Above 3500 rpm it where it is at!! The road was rough for pavement with humps from frost heave, and the truck was a handful as it was spinning tires as it came off the bumps. YAA HOOOO!! My wife just looked over at me with that wife look and I could see the adjective on her lips. At highway speeds the 6.2l seemed to rev freely. Didn't take too much pedal to move it down the road. The V-8 sounds awesome!
The 2010 V-10 through my test drive felt like a totally different truck. First, the 5-speed torque shift was smooth and crisp. Gears were held up into the rpm then shifted up as anticipated. It was nice. On the same 5% grade from stop, the low end TORQUE was apparent. With 4.10's, it pushed you back in the seat, accelerated smoothly, but at the top of the rpm the power didn't feel like the 6.2L. The ride with the 172" WB was more controllable up the road then the 156" WB, expected. The V-10 at highway speeds just felt like it had to be fed with the pedal just a little more than the 6.2L.
Conclusions, well, I see why some buy the programmer for the 6-speed for holding gears at low speeds. The 5speed in the V-10 was a pleasure to drive. The full 4.2" EVIC in the 2012 blows the 2010 Lariat EVIC away. Its easy to waste power with the 4.30's..what a sleeping beast. With a trailer, both would be a pleasure to drive. Now, all I gotta do is make a damn decision and the test drives certainly didn't make it any easier.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Junior User

Dave HM is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have to agree with you on that thing coming alive in the upper rpm band. When I get into a long mountain grade and it gets into the around 4500 rpm range it just seems to thunder and say gimme more fuel brother - I want to stretch out.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Posting Guru

dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.
Nicely said wyo2track. I don't always like the 6.2 screaming up a hill at 4500RPMs, I miss the torque of the V10 when you could just leave it in 5th and climb whatever is in your way.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Senior User

boatflounder is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the nice commnts regarding my wife. guess i will just have to take a test drive when i get home. will probably have to get what i can versus ordering I dont want to be vehicleless the whole 6 weeks im off.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Posting Guru

scraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to behold
boatflounder, either way you can't lose they're both great trucks.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 AM
Senior User

well I went th ediesel route, one week and 300 miles love the 6.7, just as quick or more than my old v10. appreciate all the help here but this was the way to go for me, 2014 king ranch ruby red. lovin it!!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Elder User

twigsV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatflounder View Post
well I went th ediesel route, one week and 300 miles love the 6.7, just as quick or more than my old v10. appreciate all the help here but this was the way to go for me, 2014 king ranch ruby red. lovin it!!
Sounds like an awesome truck and exactly the same way I'd go other than the king ranch it wouldn't be practical for a farm truck LOL.
06 f350 v10 reg cab srw
05 Expedition 5.4
Andy
Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 AM
Senior User

radar_ridr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I haven't completed more careful, controlled testing of this yet, but it think a lot of the "lazy" feel of the 6.2 goes away when you turn off the traction control.

I used to think the only function of the traction control was to apply the brakes to a spinning wheel, but now I am thinking it is more proactive and "learning" than that. It seems to do a few things to prevent wheel spin in the first place (and more so if there has been recent spinning, like spinning on the snow within the last few minutes, or a history of my typically grandpa-style acceleration). At the very least it seems to open the throttle gradually from a stop, slip the torque converter more, and shift "softer". I can't "burn" a tire (stock base model) from a stop on dry pavement even by punching it to the floor (and believe me, she's running just fine!). Also pulling out onto the main road from a side street seems quicker after pushing that "OFF" button. Well, give it a try and see what you think...

Unfortunately the system turns itself back on again every time you shut down and start again.

I should point out again, I haven't tested this very "scientifically" yet; I'm just reading all this now at 0-dark-thirty and I wanted to post something for you morning readers, but it's still real cold and dark out there... Moby-Dick is still sleeping peacefully out there, and just would not understand being woke up, warmed up, and drag-raced at this time on a Monday morning!

Since your wife is OK I guess it is OK to laugh a little: When I read "Well my wife (she is ok, just bruised) rolled my beloved 08 v10" at first I didn't think about the accident; I thought about your reaction when she gave you the bad news! :-)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Senior User

well radar, goota say I kindof missed she wrecked my truck for a day or so, I was offshore brazil and had tried to call her sunday night and she wasn't home. just before I got off at 6 in the morning I got online and checked the hometown paper, the headline was car rolls on texas city levee, whichmade me go oh no read the story and it read women going home to my development, which is brand new and less than 20 famileis here, at which point I pretty much new.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 AM