1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Logical order of trouble shooting, stall...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Logical order of trouble shooting, stall...

Extremely popular topic, I know...
So, here's the deal; on our way back from Phoenix maybe 2 or 3 hrs into the trip we were cruzin along +/- 70mph on cruse control and for one fraction of a second the truck hiccupped taking it out of cruz, it happened to fast I didn't see any check engine lights, wait to start lights or otherwise. We had a snap on scan tool hooked up for the whole ride and IIRC TJ said he had a code for intake temp or something but that's it.. The rest of the 46 hours no problems what so ever. I get home park the truck, get up in the am drive around running errands, no issues, go to get an oil change at the Ford garage, they put in 15/40. On my way home 10 minutes later I'm headed in to town, down shift from 4th to 3rd and she stalls again but instantaneously refires, I suppose because I was in gear; again didn't notice any dash lights. I drive over to my brothers 10 minutes away all is good, we have a beer and shoot the chit then I'm on my way again, truck sat for maybe 30/40 minutes. I drive for 10 minutes to my house and just before I get to my driveway I down shift from 3rd to 2nd and again stall; snow was on the road so no bumpstart also prob too much comp for the slow speed I was traveling.
This time I try to restart with the key, first time long crank no fire, second time normal crank and fire. I bought a CPS from ford before I left but we didn't see the need to install it at that point during the trip.. NOTE: the fuel filter housing has an aftermarket cap, we brought a filter and I was going to change it just for the hell of it but we couldn't so we just left it alone, I bought a new OEM cap at the dealer the other day and TJ is installing it w a new filter before I get home.. NOTE: TJ ran diagnostics on the truck yesterday and found no stored codes form my 2 stall situations.

Sooo, question is: In what order considering the traits of the malfunction should I approach this from? Since I have the CPS should I just bolt that in and see? Then the IPR or IPR O-ring and the ICP? Just wondering the most efficient direction..
I realize this is a revolving topic but I thought there must be some logical order to trouble shooting them, thus the more to the point question. Thanks fellas!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

If it were the IPR or IPR O-ring or the ICP I would suspect error codes. Since you already have a new CPS go that route first, IMO.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:49 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds exactly like the CPS to me also. Put the new one in and I bet you'll ne good to go.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Agreed. Try the CPS first. What you're describing sounds like a classic case of a CPS that is getting flaky and since you already have the parts, I would try that first.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:59 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like a unanimous answer for a CPS swap.. We'll go ahead and get it done..
When I wasn't driving on our way across I was F'ing around on the iPad, I googled the symptoms and there were various answers including a ground problem or the injector o-rings, can we safely rule those out at this point?

Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I wouldn't say that you can all together rule those out as possibilities, but they're no where near as common an issue as the CPS is and what you describe is a classic symptom of the CPS. Besides being a very likely source of the issue, at $40 and about a 10 minute investment, it's a good place to start.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I wouldn't say that you can all together rule those out as possibilities, but they're no where near as common an issue as the CPS is and what you describe is a classic symptom of the CPS. Besides being a very likely source of the issue, at $40 and about a 10 minute investment, it's a good place to start.
I agree with you.. I had to replace 2 CPSs in my 97 during my whole ownership, 90k miles. I never had any of the other IPR, ICP, Or injector O-ring issues. The 5spd fools you into thinking it could be something else...

Old 12-24-2013, 05:09 PM
kevinfreekev
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi just following along this conversation, I just recently joined & I'm kinda having the same problems,w/my 95. F250.PSD.w/auto, what's a c.p.s. caam position sensor?& also what's a I.C.P. I've been looking online for days for some free advice ended joining up here,just bought the truck n it has 250k on it idles kinda low to..anything would be helpful.thxs n merry Christmas..

Old 12-24-2013, 06:52 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kevinfreekev
Hi just following along this conversation, I just recently joined & I'm kinda having the same problems,w/my 95. F250.PSD.w/auto, what's a c.p.s. caam position sensor?& also what's a I.C.P. I've been looking online for days for some free advice ended joining up here,just bought the truck n it has 250k on it idles kinda low to..anything would be helpful.thxs n merry Christmas..
Welcome to FTE Kevin! CPS is, indeed the Cam Position Sensor. ICP is Injection Control Pressufe sesnor.it is the sensor that reads the high pressure oil pressure and feeds that information back to the PCM (Powertain Control Module). These engines have what is called a HEUI injection system, which is just a fancy way of saying that they use engine oil and a seperate high pressure oil system to run the injectors. The ICP is the sensor that reads the pressure in that system.

Stick around this forum and you'll learn all you ever wanted to know about these old trucks. It is a great place to be.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 AM
kevinfreekev
New User
OK n Thxs . Merry Christmas to all .. I'll go down tmrw n get a manual for the truck. She's my first diesel, and by all appearance has been well taken care of,just been sitting for awhile, bought from son of original owner,/ so father son truck, excellent body n paint will post pics in a few days 250 k miles 4:10 gear ratio/long bed w/trailer pkg,decent interior..just not running right,so I'll stick around see what I can learn & also share.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Merry Christmas to you as well. There is an online manual as well that is available for free but I don't have it bookmarked here on my tablet. I can send you a link when I get home if you would l like to save a few bucks.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:05 PM
kevinfreekev
New User
Angry re"stalls out

Hi, first thanks for the online link,it did come in handy..like a Tard thou"I purchased one..$$ turned out to be same one....so still have problem,only now it won't start n gray smoke coming out exhaust..just going to stop Nickle n dime n it..going to shop on Monday..I'll keep You"all up to date w/ what's going on..Thanks again. Kevin.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
If you're getting gray smoke but it won't start, it's either weak batteries or starter, or your glow plugs aren't working. Put a trickle charge on it overnight and then plug in the block heater before you try it tomorrow. But if you would rather take it to the shop, more power to you.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
kevinfreekev
New User
Hi, n Thanks for the advice, I did get it to start..w/some gray smoke exhaust smells kinda different, could just be my old nose hairs thou,ha/ha..so yea I put it trickle charge n it starts..still little bit of gray smoke not every time thou..so do you think it could be the cps ? Thanks again..Kevin.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:07 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
If you're getting gray smoke when you're cranking it is not the CPS that is keeping it from starting. My guess is that you have some issues with the glow plug system, but that's just a stab in the dark.

Quick Reply: Logical order of trouble shooting, stall...