ignition timing problem with 460 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Mr7.50headsup
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ignition timing problem with 460 swap.

Hey all,
I'm having a problem with the ignition in my 1971/1973 460 swapped into a 77 F-150. Duraspark 2 ignition. Vacuum advance small cap distributor upgraded to large cap with 9mm wires. Flamethrower coil. 93 octane fuel. 600cfm Holley, 74 jets. Heads freshly rebuilt, small combustion chambers. Small dish pistons. Aluminum intake.

So here's my problem, in the upper rpm ranges the engine knocks like a beast. Purrs like a kitten at low rpm driving and idle. Start to get over 2,000 rpm (I'm guessing no tach) and it start knocking and just gets much worse from there. I can't take the truck more than half throttle.
I thought it was fuel starvation and spent two days jetting and tuning with no changes. So I started messing with my timing and it started to get better. Not much but it was a change. So that lets me know it's timing, ignition, or compression.
I need help cause I'm just hurting my truck with it running this bad. I'm working on getting a 750 carb but with money tight with Christmas it's not happening. After rebuild I set timing 8*bBdc and now it's closer to 14* after playing with it. The more timing the later it would knock but would knock harder. Less timing sooner knocking but less violent.
What do you all think? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you setting timing with vac advance unhooked?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Mr7.50headsup
Senior User
Yes I did the first time I timed the truck. Maybe I did something wrong.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:51 PM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What is your total mechanical advance and when is it all in? You're going to need a tach so you can tell what the curve looks like. If your springs are too light, you might be getting too much advance too early. Is your vac ported or manifold. Is the pinging under load? Why 93 octane?

Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Mr7.50headsup
Senior User
Mechanical advance: please explain this to me. How do I check this?

Ported or manifold: once again I'm slightly lost on this too. The vacuum line for the distributor is hooked to my carburetor. Is that what you asked?

The noise be it pinging or knocking is the worst under load. It can be heard in neutral too, nowhere near as bad.

Why not 93? What should I be running? I'm pretty sure the compression is fairly high.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Westcoast Highboy
Tuned
Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
With the engine combination you described, I bet you are going to be running fairly high compression. Try throwing a bottle of octane booster into your fuel tank and see if that helps.

As suggested, you are going to have to figure out your ignition total advance and you will need a good timing light for that as well as a tachometer would be helpful. I know my low-compression, tired old 460 from a 1973 Lincoln likes a lot of timing advance.

To check mechanical advance, dis-connect the vaccum line to the distributor and use your timing light to see how far timing advances as rpm is increased.

Try the octane booster first cause if that helps, you will know the issue is high compression and the only fix for that is higher octane or maybe changing out your camshaft to bleed off some cylinder pressure.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:42 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Westcoast Highboy
Try the octane booster first cause if that helps, you will know the issue is high compression and the only fix for that is higher octane or maybe changing out your camshaft to bleed off some cylinder pressure.
Probably should figure out his compression ratio first...

Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr7.50headsup
Mechanical advance: please explain this to me. How do I check this?

Your distrubutor has a centrifugal advance. As rpms increase, weights in the distributor pull harder on some springs and advance the timing. See this site for pictures Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_page-2

It's tricky not knowing more details about your build, but normally, you want to reach around 38 deg at full mechanical advance (with out vaccum advance)which for your application should be over 3000 rpms. You can only figure this out with at timing light and tach. If your advance to fast, you'll get pinging

Ported or manifold: once again I'm slightly lost on this too. The vacuum line for the distributor is hooked to my carburetor. Is that what you asked?

Ported would be connected to your carb above the throttle plate. Vac goes up with increased throttle. If you are connected this way, it may be adding to your advance under load.

manifold vac would be connected to your carb below the throttle plate. Vac is steady at idle/no load and drops with throttle.

Your carb probably has both options. Do some searching, there are lots of opinions on which is better. Your choice, but it affects how you set things up.

I would just disconnect the vac to start with and make things simpler.

Why not 93? What should I be running? I'm pretty sure the compression is fairly high.
Ok, but it would be good if you knew the actual numbers.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd rather start here, describe the "knock"?

You seem to be sure that it's detonation/spark knock but are you sure?

What does it sound like? Where is it coming from?

Does it change with load or just RPM? It sure sounds like it's RPM dependent, detonation is always load/vacuum dependent. Rod knock and piston slap are RPM dependent.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Mr7.50headsup
Senior User
I'm fairly sure it's not a mechanical knock. Not the best audio if you skip to the three minute mark you can hear it and then again a minute later.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Westcoast Highboy
Tuned
Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
Hmmm. The audio on my computer is kind of crappy but it almost sounds like a piston may be hitting something when you accelerate, especially at 4:13 in the video. That or you have an extreme case of engine detonation (spark knock) caused by high compression.

How does the engine run now compared to before the tear down? Was it smoother before? How does it feel power wise? It sounds like it is running pretty rough and has a possible engine miss. Double check your firing order. I would also pull the plugs to see how they look and check the compression on each cylinder to make sure they are all even across the board.

Reduce your base timing by a few degrees (perhaps go with 8-10 degrees initial with vacuum hose disconnected at distributor) and pour a bottle of octane booster into the tank. As previously stated by someone else, it would be nice to know your actual compression ratio but in any case, if it is detonation, the octane booster will help immediately. If it is not detonation, the octane booster wont do any harm.

Based on what your engine sounds like, I would not drive it any further until you can get this issue sorted out.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Mr7.50headsup
Senior User
I wish i could get to it sooner but ill be working OT until Wednsday but thursday morning ill let you all know what the booster and the timing re-checked turns out

The engine as a whole runs much better, but it did have the "knock" before the rebuild. The engine ran bad enough it was hard to get it to rev hard enough to make it act up. It would fall on its face before it would get as bad as it does now. Now that its running good and the timing isnt flying off the handle it can rev fast enough to get loud. If it makes any differance it gets worse with the more petal i give it even if the engine isnt turning that fast or running that hard. The second time at 4:13 seconds was a gear change to 3rd and a shot of wide open. It still knocked even tho it wasnt turning that hard.
When the heads were off the cylinder walls looked super clean but a little wore out. no marks, gouges, scaring that might indicate piston slap or anything of the sort.
I wish i knew more about my engine, its a 71 block with 73 heads and use to have a 70 intake, screams a peiced together engine. its factory bore but has a .02 ridge from being so old and worn out. when i checked everything last the lowest cyclinder was 1 at 145 and ever cylinder was 165-175. Cylinder 1 has blow by judging from the dirty spark plug, every plug is a very light tan from being a bit lean with the 600CFM

Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like detonation to me. Don't drive it like that or you will destroy it. It is caused by too much timing advance.
If you want to fix this yourself you need a timing light with a tachometer and read this...
FORDMUSCLE webmagazine: Timing is Everything - Distributor Curving for Maximum Power

Your 460 is not necessarily cobbled together. 1971 block casting numbers were used until 79 and the 73 casting numbered heads were used from 73 up to the 80s.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 PM
MeanGreen460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a rod knocking loose rod bearing to me

Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
JP3
More Turbo
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: ignition timing problem with 460 swap.