Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Elder User

vntgtrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alternator conversion?

This is what I came up with for a mount. It's based roughly on this link
Y-Block.Info
I'm not altogether happy with it. It will work but the alternator is mounted upside down. That means jacking up the truck to change belt/s (I'm set up to run two) or R&R an alt. I'm building up an old truck to have maintenance and repairs simple and this isn't as simple as I'd like. Show me your alt mounts. Thanks
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
Looking for a simple reliable Y Block myself. What else have you done. I'm still running a Generator
All works in progress
Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
Looking for a simple reliable Y Block myself. What else have you done. I'm still running a Generator
My mods are sparse. I'm building a travel rig and don't want to be stranded in Bumsquat Egypt due to a part being hard to get. I'll have a spare alt, starter, w/pump and a spare fan belt. The liklihood of 3 fan belts breaking before I return to civilization are slim to none
Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
I'm with ya! I wanna travel in mine as well but there's nothing like walking into a parts place and asking for ANYTHING on a 50s vehicle. Many times they have what you need but unless you know the part number or run across an old timer at the counter you'll probably leave empty handed.
All works in progress
Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Posting Guru

schoo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
here's my alt cost $60 and some used parts
Old 12-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Posting Guru

schoo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
another view

Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Elder User

Schoo, that isn't a whole bunch different, but enough so that doing alt R&R will be simpler. Don't have to line shtuff up. Looks good!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Mummert sells a robust (cast aluminum) alternator mounting bracket. I don't have pictures yet.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Mummert sells a robust (cast aluminum) alternator mounting bracket. I don't have pictures yet.
I've seen that. Robust is a good way to put it. But I'm looking to get ideas to make something. Buying things takes all the fun outa the build
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgtrk View Post
I've seen that. Robust is a good way to put it. But I'm looking to get ideas to make something. Buying things takes all the fun outa the build
Amen to that! Are you up to casting aluminum? I've done everything but that (so far). I've helped to cast aluminum. I've played with glass blowing, blacksmithing, silversmithing, lapidary, faceting, you name it. I'm toying with the idea of setting up a small foundry. That's a couple of years down the road. Meanwhile, I still weld, plasma cut, smelt silver and palladium, and even start an occasional coal forge in my suburban neighborhood. Some of the neighbors actually think it's cool. Most probably hate me.

Their loss, I guess.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Elder User

TH, you're a bit more ambitious than I am. I just have a simple shop. I do a little welding, but only enough to get me in trouble
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368)