Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 bucket seat just reclines

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM
calixt0
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 bucket seat just reclines

Hello all. New guy here. I've been looking for an answer and couldn't find one so I thought I'd post a question.

my bucket seat will only has 1 recline position and that is way too far back. when I lift the lever the seat comes up and slides forward. I thought it might be the reclining mechanism so I replaced it, and it does the exact same thing.

what else could be the issue? could an upholstery shop fix this type of thing? I've tried going to junk yards and can't find anything but bench seats. Is there an another option?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-13-2013, 10:58 PM
calixt0
Freshman User
Also I did find a seat for a 2001 that perfect except the mounting bracket doesn't fit... can the brackets be changed?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 PM
calixt0
Freshman User
I've done more looking at my seat and have found that the problem is where the recline hinge bracket mounts to the bottom of the seat, the metal is literally torn and causes the seat to lay back too far.

I can't believe I've had no info help here.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:39 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You probably didn't get help because nobody that read your post has ever had the same problem. Perhaps they reasoned that it was easy enough for you to look at some simple mechanical parts and figure it out yourself?

Not being an @$$ here... just saying that you won't always get a reply.

As for a 2001 seat, if you still want to use it then I suggest taking the stock brackets and modifying them to fit your 2001 seat if possible.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by calixt0
I've done more looking at my seat and have found that the problem is where the recline hinge bracket mounts to the bottom of the seat, the metal is literally torn and causes the seat to lay back too far.

You would of thought when you replaced the recline mechanism, you would of seen the torn metal

Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM
calixt0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
You would of thought when you replaced the recline mechanism, you would of seen the torn metal
you would have thought but i guess I wasn't paying attention.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calixt0

With such an uncommon problem, and only having waited one hour after you initial post, that is not surprising...

This is not a team of mechanics at your beckon call... We are all just truck owners that try to help with problems we've had in the past and have found solutions to, in order to make others lives easier...

I'm not trying to be a jerk either, just saying that; you're asking for free advice. You have to have a bit of patience... Someone SHOULD eventually answer... And if they don't its either time for you to figure it out on your own, or take your truck to a pro...

Now... start a post about getting Good gas mileage from a 460, and you'll have more replys than you can count

Old 12-20-2013, 03:31 PM
mrrish79
Senior User
Have you checked lmctruck? I think perhaps the best thing is to keep at the junk yard you'll find some seats, or c-list

Old 12-20-2013, 09:36 PM
calixt0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Island'r
With such an uncommon problem, and only having waited one hour after you initial post, that is not surprising...

This is not a team of mechanics at your beckon call... We are all just truck owners that try to help with problems we've had in the past and have found solutions to, in order to make others lives easier...

I'm not trying to be a jerk either, just saying that; you're asking for free advice. You have to have a bit of patience... Someone SHOULD eventually answer... And if they don't its either time for you to figure it out on your own, or take your truck to a pro...

Now... start a post about getting Good gas mileage from a 460, and you'll have more replys than you can count
thanks I didn't expect people to be at my beckon call.. but it sat almost a full week without any comments. If I came across pushy I apologize.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 PM
calixt0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mrrish79
Have you checked lmctruck? I think perhaps the best thing is to keep at the junk yard you'll find some seats, or c-list
I have checked lmc.. I didn't see any seat hardware other than hog rings and stuff like that.I've been haunting the junk yards and c-list waiting for something but will see what eventually unfolds on this issue.

thanks everyone for your ideas to help. really much appreciated.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Pull the seat out and apart. Then weld it, or have it welded. I had to go that on an old bronco I had, the frame was snapped in half

Old 12-21-2013, 01:18 PM
calixt0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Pull the seat out and apart. Then weld it, or have it welded. I had to go that on an old bronco I had, the frame was snapped in half
I was considering that very thing

Old 12-21-2013, 06:34 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, that's what I would do. I don't know where exactly these break at but you might look at reinforcing the repair area so it never breaks again.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 PM
calixt0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dixie460
Yup, that's what I would do. I don't know where exactly these break at but you might look at reinforcing the repair area so it never breaks again.
as far as where its broke... think where the forward most bolt for the hinge is. I'm not sure if thats the only break or not but I know its broke there and the seat but the seat sits really far back if that is the only problem.

I was going to reinforce it to make sure it didn't break again.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:06 PM
mrrish79
Senior User
Is the cable on the bottom left side of the seat still attached? It should have a nut on the end to adjust how much the seat should recline forward, and it will run through the back of the seat into the arm rest. Wierd I know I just found it on my new bucket seats I installed over the weekend - on the driver side seat only because the passenger folds all the way up and forward.

Quick Reply: 96 bucket seat just reclines