Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
You can still get them on the 6.2L that retains hydraulic steering

Source https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...wplow_v1-0.pdf
Thats good info but I have yet to see a 6.2 in XLT Trim. You usually have to buy a Lariat or above. Who the heck is gonna use a Lariat as a plow truck? LOL

Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Thats good info but I have yet to see a 6.2 in XLT Trim.
They're rare but available. 2013 Ford F-150 XLT For Sale | near Portsmouth, NH

To the OP, sorry for getting off-topic

Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Aluminum has been used for years and I don't think that's the real issue here.

As for frame thickness, the article alludes that in order to get a truck rated to tow, you must purchase a truck with a heavier frame.

It's not like now where you option a truck for max tow, otherwise you have a standard rated truck but nothing is different in the frame.

The thinner frames will certainly be more than rugged enough for the weekend warrior like myself to haul lumber, mulch, topsoil, etc.

I see a great deal of animosity brewing when a person bought a truck expecting to be able to pull an RV and is told by the RV dealer that his truck isn't rated.
The article is not written well. I expect they mean that the heavier frame will only be with max tow packages and of course the longer wheelbases.
Some are not aware but the frame on the 157" wheelbase is thicker than the standard frame on current production trucks.

I am sure that a fully boxed frame, one gauge lighter is still plenty strong. Now if they do as I have read and only box the frame in certain locations then a lighter gauge might bother me.

Yes, a lighter truck has advantages of more payload- that is if the truck's new frame can handle it. The disadvantage for us heavier towers is that the extra mass of the truck helps to handle the sway of the loads that we pull.
Here is a prime example: Pull a load of cows moving around in the trailer with a F150 and then do it in a F250- big difference due to the extra weight of the F250. Reduce that weight in the new F150 and stability decreases. Ford's anti-sway doesn't work either. I have had cows make my trailer sway from side to side and it never activates (on my 2011 or my new 2013). I also was hauling a load of pipe on a 24' gooseneck and had to swerve to avoid scrap metal in the road. The trailer swayed several feet from side to side and the trailer sway never activated.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
They're rare but available. 2013 Ford F-150 XLT For Sale | near Portsmouth, NH

To the OP, sorry for getting off-topic
Wow, that's cool. I didn't know it was possible either. If you saw one on the road, what is the give away that it is a 6.2? Do they have the Flex Fuel badge on the tailgate, like 5.0 trucks do?

Old 12-13-2013, 01:22 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I can bet that in time the capability of the F-150 will be whittled down further & further due to CAFE. In the future I'm saying 7 years plus you will need to purchase a 3/4 or One ton HD if you want a truck with real capability. Heck you cannot even put a plow on a F-150 anymore. Kinda depressing.
I don't really see that as a bad thing. The half tons have gotten too big and are expected to do too much.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
I wonder how much weight savings reducing the frame by one guage actually saves? I have no idea?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
It's not like now where you option a truck for max tow, otherwise you have a standard rated truck but nothing is different in the frame.
It's been that way for awhile Tim. I know that at least as far back as 2004 the following stipulation has been present:

Originally Posted by 2013 F150 Owner's Guide
Note: Do not exceed a trailer weight of 5000 pounds (2268 kilograms) if
your vehicle is not equipped with a Heavy-duty Trailer Towing Package.
You've always needed a tow package to pull more than 5,000 lbs. At least for the last ten years.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:58 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can bet that in time the capability of the F-150 will be whittled down further & further due to CAFE. In the future I'm saying 7 years plus you will need to purchase a 3/4 or One ton HD if you want a truck with real capability. Heck you cannot even put a plow on a F-150 anymore. Kinda depressing.
I don't see that this is a problem if they do start down-sizing the F150. My '13 FX4 Eco SCrew has a 9,400 lb tow rating. Compare that to my '95 F250, 460 big block with heavy duty tow package, and its 10,000 lb tow rating.

Granted, the Super Duty tow ratings are a lot higher now as well, but it would make sense to me to differentiate the F250 and F350 more than they have been (at least during the 90's the front axle was different; not even that much is different now). De-rate the F150 as needed while fuel economy continues to increase and bring the price point and tow ratings down slightly for the F250 to fill as an intermediary step between the F150 and F350.

(As an aside: I also wish that the current full-size lineup was setup like the 80-90s where the Bronco, F150, F250, F350, and F-Superduty all shared a relatively common base to make customization easier.)

Old 12-13-2013, 05:10 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Why don't we see what this thing can do before trash talking the thing?
What's the fun in that?

Originally Posted by DIYiT
My '13 FX4 Eco SCrew has a 9,400 lb tow rating. Compare that to my '95 F250, 460 big block with heavy duty tow package, and its 10,000 lb tow rating.
And thank goodness, too! Now we can all drive something comfortable.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Thats good info but I have yet to see a 6.2 in XLT Trim. You usually have to buy a Lariat or above. Who the heck is gonna use a Lariat as a plow truck? LOL

Frankly I don't get the joke. I'm assuming you mean who wouldn't.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:29 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boys, boys, hey, if we live long enough, all of us are going to get '15 and newer trucks. What's wrong with y'all young'uns? Y'all boys are more afraid of change than this old geezer here! I love that aluminum body, and Ford ain't gonna mess up their frame.

Me? I tell ye if I have the lucres by about this time next year, hey, I'd definitely be in one of them new fangled F150s, that lil 2.7 Ecoboost should do the truck for me. Aw, just give me two of'em!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 AM
total_telecom
Freshman User
I'm ready for a new one. And I really hate to say this but I think I'm buying the 2500 series Dodge with the Cummins turbodiesel . Another thing we had the body off my 2012 F150 for some repairs I can't believe how much flex is in this frame, it's not solid at all. they're only going to get worse. Mark my words "Dodge is going to use this opportunity to steal real truck enthusiast from Ford". GM is already doing a good job of it.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
There's flex in a Peterbilt frame too. Ram oz gaining the most marketshare right now but they lost the if you remember correctly. I wonder why a car builder would lose so much, quality issues perhaps.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by total_telecom
I'm ready for a new one. And I really hate to say this but I think I'm buying the 2500 series Dodge with the Cummins turbodiesel . Another thing we had the body off my 2012 F150 for some repairs I can't believe how much flex is in this frame, it's not solid at all. they're only going to get worse. Mark my words "Dodge is going to use this opportunity to steal real truck enthusiast from Ford". GM is already doing a good job of it.
Based on this report I would say GM is not stealing sales from Ford.

Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: December 2013 - PickupTrucks.com News

Old 01-18-2014, 11:20 AM
total_telecom
Freshman User
Hard to say, Maybe im just venting, but it seems ford is going down a bad path. We have no seen enough long term data on the Eco-Boost lineup but i predict major reliability issues. I dont think that sales correlate with value or quality.

I have been a ford fanboy for a long time, Im just expressing that change. I feel others are going to follow. The truck wars are going to heat up, especially with the profit margins on "LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS" its almost like the f150 is replacing the ranger.

I stand corrected on the sales numbers

Quick Reply: 2015 Model: Issues Already