Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EX eating hub bearings faster than I drive it. What could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:48 AM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
How about the tires are they in good shape and balanced? And water do you drive through a lot off roading or otherwise

Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
An engine builder I had years ago always said he could torque anything without a torque wrench. I just asked him one day, Bill, how do you know its not way more than it should be? He looked at me and said damn, you're right.

While I wouldnt bother with torque on valve covers or a water pump in some cases, it is important. Family in the vehicle, wetting down the drag strip and crashing, getting stranded.....not fun stuff. If you just take a few extra minutes, read the specs and use the proper tools, fun will be had by all.

Back on topic: Depending on where you're getting your hub assemblies, you could be getting the reject parts from another supplier, reboxed and sold as good parts.....new, but not to spec. Another thing to look at is the condition of your front U-joints. If those are way out of whack, I imagine it would have an effect on the bearings. Hope you figure it out, this is an expensive issue to have.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:49 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
That's a mechanics term.....something you wouldn't know about. Goodnight folks, hope the thread is still here in the morning.

Well aware of the term, sort of like "groovy".

Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
An engine builder I had years ago always said he could torque anything without a torque wrench. I just asked him one day, Bill, how do you know its not way more than it should be? He looked at me and said damn, you're right.

While I wouldnt bother with torque on valve covers or a water pump in some cases, it is important. Family in the vehicle, wetting down the drag strip and crashing, getting stranded.....not fun stuff. If you just take a few extra minutes, read the specs and use the proper tools, fun will be had by all.

Back on topic: Depending on where you're getting your hub assemblies, you could be getting the reject parts from another supplier, reboxed and sold as good parts.....new, but not to spec. Another thing to look at is the condition of your front U-joints. If those are way out of whack, I imagine it would have an effect on the bearings. Hope you figure it out, this is an expensive issue to have.
Like I said: some things need to be torqued and I had 3 torque wrenches at one time but most things don't and mechanics rarely drag one out.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I forgot about water, do you get any in there? Is it just one side? I doubt if it is torque related, that housing is pretty sturdy and my truck went 2-3 years missing the top 2 nuts holding them to the knuckle. (out of the 4 original). Actually torque has nothing to do with the roller bearing failure.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superdave02f552
Actually mr super 10 year shade tree I'm going on 12 years full time wrenching now moving on to over seeing maintenance diagnostic and repairs of 3 yards in which we have 14 material handlers 21 front end loaders 38 tractors 15 forklifts and around 155 trailers give or take a few due to weeding out the worn out ones plus countless Hyd. Power units

And by over seeing I mean when the shiz goes bad I go there find and repair

When your working on a million dollar machine with a 90k engine you use a torque wrench

Bend facts how ever you need but torque values are given for a reason.

It's ok to be a jack of all trades master of none Brent just stop forcing your point on I'm old I know better than you whipper snappers. the record needs to break How about we get back to the OP's question

Seeing as he wants to find out why his truck eats wheel bearings anything is game including torque as a culprit
You're so respectful to your elders, are you trying to close this thread?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I did

you say torquing is no big deal

I Have real world experience showing otherwise..yea right
Yeah I takes prolly 20 wheel bearing bolts to make one of the ones I speak of

torque is torque bolts have a spec to stretch to for max strength, housings can deflect when over tightened in which bearings are seated in turn could cause misalignment. Is that what is going on here guess we won't know until he try's it
Nope, not what I said. Torque on those 4 nuts that hold the hub on has no effect on these bearings, it's not like the heavy duty roller cage is going to become all contorted just because the 4 nuts aren't all the same tightness......just common sense.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:09 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
like i said bent it however you need to to make yourself the brightest light on the tree

i do respect my elders more than you would imagine, i DON'T respect people that have a one track my way or the highway attitude.

per the OP he asks for ANY ideas and these are ideas

Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This seemed to start at about 150,000 miles. How long have you had the truck? Was it ever wrecked that you know of?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:50 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
like i said bent it however you need to to make yourself the brightest light on the tree

i do respect my elders more than you would imagine, i DON'T respect people that have a one track my way or the highway attitude.

per the OP he asks for ANY ideas and these are ideas
You know so much about me Don't contribute to closing the thread before the OP gets an answer.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
You know so much about me Don't contribute to closing the thread before the OP gets an answer.

We all know so much about you because you continue to ream it down our throats.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jpr38057
We all know so much about you because you continue to ream it down our throats.
No I just continue to help everyone but SOME don't appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
I forgot about water, do you get any in there? Is it just one side? I doubt if it is torque related, that housing is pretty sturdy and my truck went 2-3 years missing the top 2 nuts holding them to the knuckle. (out of the 4 original). Actually torque has nothing to do with the roller bearing failure.

if you would read the thread it has been both sides

Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
if you would read the thread it has been both sides
Still on my case.........

Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM
saz2686
Senior User
Please don't get this thread closed. I just thought of something. I removed the brake dust sheild the first time I replaced the hub bearing long time ago. I think the shield sits behind the bearing unit. That would seem too minor to make a difference... Tires are good and in balance. I suppose u joints could be the issue. Dunno bout water getting in. I hardly drive this truck. This is seriously the sixth time for the hub bearings on each side. All in less than 20k miles. Not related but, I just replaced the rear passenger caliper last time I drove it. Now today the driver rear caliper siezed. Both calipers have low mileage and also seize often, like the hub bearings... Replaced all calipers 5 times each. Dunno. Old truck. Bad mechanic (me). Big tires? Crappy lift job? I can't take it anymore. Fix it every time I drive it.

Quick Reply: EX eating hub bearings faster than I drive it. What could it be?