1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monte's 04 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those flares look great Matt, really does change the look of the truck.

Is there any kind of brand name on them anywhere? Just wondering since I wouldn't mind figuring out what mine are. I think they are Bushwackers, but am not for sure, I think they look bigger than yours though. How hard were they to put on? Was wondering if they were easy to pop on and off, because I would like to take a look under mine, to check for rust and see how dirty it is under there. I think they are rust free underneath, but I'm not sure.

Also thanks for taking the time to answer my question about Mechanical engineering awhile back, I really appreciate. Sorry I never got a chance to get back to you. I'll probably pm you with a few more questions, when I get a chance.

The truck looks good.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks guys!

They stick out 2" front the sides of the truck, the name isn't on them but the part number is so you could always look that up, if it starts with something like RX its probably prestige.

They were very easy to install, he rear used 5 clips on each side, the little lips on the fender wells are already rusty because or rock chips and the paint is peeling so i didn't bother to protect them in any way. Come spring i will clean up the lips and POR them so that it doesn't spread up around the lip and onto the bed. The front flares almost fit perfect but they holes were a little off from my current screw holes for the fender liners so i had to drill 3 holes per flare. They fit very tight against the body except on the drivers side the hole i drilled isn't placed perfectly so it sticks out slightly.

Feel free to PM me man I'll gladly share my experiences!

Also I plan to no longer drive the truck in the winter after this year, I'm going to use my 95 in the winter instead and use what ever i end up getting to commute to school that way i have a 4x4 for when it snows and a commuter to save on gas.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Dwood63
Junior User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Thanks guys! They stick out 2" front the sides of the truck, the name isn't on them but the part number is so you could always look that up, if it starts with something like RX its probably prestige. They were very easy to install, he rear used 5 clips on each side, the little lips on the fender wells are already rusty because or rock chips and the paint is peeling so i didn't bother to protect them in any way. Come spring i will clean up the lips and POR them so that it doesn't spread up around the lip and onto the bed. The front flares almost fit perfect but they holes were a little off from my current screw holes for the fender liners so i had to drill 3 holes per flare. They fit very tight against the body except on the drivers side the hole i drilled isn't placed perfectly so it sticks out slightly. Feel free to PM me man I'll gladly share my experiences! Also I plan to no longer drive the truck in the winter after this year, I'm going to use my 95 in the winter instead and use what ever i end up getting to commute to school that way i have a 4x4 for when it snows and a commuter to save on gas.
Okay cool, thanks a lot man! Your truck has came a long way and it looks great!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Thanks guys!

They stick out 2" front the sides of the truck, the name isn't on them but the part number is so you could always look that up, if it starts with something like RX its probably prestige.

They were very easy to install, he rear used 5 clips on each side, the little lips on the fender wells are already rusty because or rock chips and the paint is peeling so i didn't bother to protect them in any way. Come spring i will clean up the lips and POR them so that it doesn't spread up around the lip and onto the bed. The front flares almost fit perfect but they holes were a little off from my current screw holes for the fender liners so i had to drill 3 holes per flare. They fit very tight against the body except on the drivers side the hole i drilled isn't placed perfectly so it sticks out slightly.

Feel free to PM me man I'll gladly share my experiences!

Also I plan to no longer drive the truck in the winter after this year, I'm going to use my 95 in the winter instead and use what ever i end up getting to commute to school that way i have a 4x4 for when it snows and a commuter to save on gas.
Ok thanks Matt. I'll have to take a look for a part number. And that doesn't sound too bad, probably once winters over I'll go ahead and pop them off and take a look under them and clean it up underneath.

And thanks! I'll probably shoot ya a pm sometime this week.

That'll will definitely save your truck a little, and keep it in better shape. Like Dwood said it looks great and has come a long way, can't wait to see what you do next.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Thanks guys!

I just wanted to share a fun fact if you live in MA and want to do a diesel swap like myself. My buddy just became a Mass inspector and i was talking to him the other day and he said all cars 2000 and older only need to pass safety and each year the next year cars only need safety like next year all cars 2001 and older only need to pass safety inspection. I took this as in a few years I could do a cummins swap and not even have to worry about it because it will still pass mass inspection for safety and that's all it needs. So by the time i graduate school my i can technically swap in a cummins if i wanted, even if i do it sooner i would only have to get away with it for 2 or 3 inspections at the most.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
The truck is looking good Matt! I not a big fan of fender flares, but those look pretty sharp on your truck. I think the stance looks good too... a little front to back rake is nice.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I agree it wont be level it will probably sit about .5-1" higher in the rear. Right now if it settled to where I think it is its 3" taller in the back. I plan to run air bags in the rear and maybe do an 08 rear spring swap.

Personally the rear tire to me looks tiny because its almost out of the wheel well lol.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:41 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
New discovery today my pitman arm hits the leaf spring when turning left. Sorry for the picture quality i was hanging out of the truck while holding the wheel in one hand and y phone in the other.

I listened to the tire shop that installed my lift and got a 4" pitman and trac bar drop bracket. Does anyone know of a 2.5" drop bracket kit? i have an adjustable trac bar but when i first installed the kit the front end lifted 4.5" so and everything cleared fine but now that it's settled down its more like a 2.5-3" lift up front so now i have a clearance issue. I heard the thing screech while backing into my spot at work like 20 minutes ago. Unfortunately the tire shop kept my old parts so i don't have the stock brackets anymore, i didn't even think about it at the time i was too excited to see it done lol. I guess this goes back to if you want something done right do it yourself... I had in the back of my head been thinking sbout the spring settling and later having clearance issues but I listened to the mechanic...again.

EDIT: also would like to note that this is against the steering stop at this point so i dont not go all the way to full lock usually unless backing into a space which is why it took me so long to realize it, i usually turn right while backing in almost never left lol.

Also some picture of my edge insight sorry my phone doesn't take good night pics.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Grizzly4x4
Tuned
when i first installed the kit the front end lifted 4.5" so and everything cleared fine but now that it's settled down its more like a 2.5-3" lift up front so now i have a clearance issue.

What lift did you go with? Is it normal for the leafs to sag that much?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:46 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your getting 14.5mpg?!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I got the zone kit, my original springs must have been sagging after using a plow for many years. Once the zone pack was it it basically rearched mg springs until the zone kit broke in so now she is sittibg where I expected.

Justin honestly idk what yo believe that says 14.5 and occasionally if im really gentle on the highway 16.2 but my hand calculations say 10 lol.

Also fpund out my speedo after 50 mph is off by like 5 mph (reads slow) but under 50 mph its only 1-2 mph slow... not sure if I need to recalibrate it or not lol. My edge and gps both read the same mph so at 60 im going 65 but at 50 im going 52-53 tge 30 in really doing 32...its wierd I have a procomp accuspeed so ill plug her in tonight or tomorrow and try calibrating the speedometer.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
So aside form the pitman arm hitting my springs i measured the truck on all 4 cornes from the top of the tire to the fender arch and they are as follows.

DR Front: 14"
PS Front: 13-13.5"
DR Rear: 16"
PS Rear:15"

So i have 1" of lean to the passenger side which is odd because all the weight is on the drivers side with the tank and the driver in the truck. is there any way to fix this?

Also i got a new tow strap with a 3/4" shackle and a receiver with a shackle attached.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So aside form the pitman arm hitting my springs i measured the truck on all 4 cornes from the top of the tire to the fender arch and they are as follows.

DR Front: 14"
PS Front: 13-13.5"
DR Rear: 16"
PS Rear:15"

So i have 1" of lean to the passenger side which is odd because all the weight is on the drivers side with the tank and the driver in the truck. is there any way to fix this?

Also i got a new tow strap with a 3/4" shackle and a receiver with a shackle attached.
The only thing that I could think of would be to swap springs on either the front or rear, it would level it out. But I don't know if that would completely fix it.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I'll have to try that maybe, I have been thinking about updating to the 2008+ rear leafs so that would solve the rear lean but the front will still be short on one side.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:05 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What about taking them to a spring shop and having them re-arched?

You could add airbags with individual valves for all 4 corners

If that shackle is a Smittybilt, I have the exact same thing. One word of caution, mine rusted in 2 months last year. Didn't have real good paint on it. A little chassis saver remedied that problem

Edit: One other thought. Perhaps your spring bushings are shot or your cab bushings. That could cause a little bit of ride height difference. It did on my Ranger.

Quick Reply: Monte's 04 Build Thread