1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F5 From Kuwait (project)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Zord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 F5 From Kuwait (project)

Hi all,,

My name is Zaman, I'm from Kuwait, I'm not new into restoration jobs, but Yes, I'm totally new in Ford Worlds.

I have great deal to buy 1951 Ford F5 steak body truck locally here in Kuwait (the car is recently been imported from USA), but I'm little shaky to go. The Cab is in great shape with little rust here and there. It has original 6cy engine, manual trans, and dually rear wheels.

My Plan is to convert it into F1 style, get shortbed instead of the huge flat thingy in the back, engine/trans swap, 4 disks break, as well as front/rear suspension modz.

I need your help guys with the following questions and details:

- Is there any different in the Cab measurements between F1 and F5? Can I still use F1 body part into F5's cab?

- By reviewing original F1 photos on the web, why I have a feeling that F5 front fenders are wider and the wheel arcs are bigger then F1s?

- The car isn't plated and licensed in Kuwait still. Traffic Department here looking for original frame number in the cab's plate as well as same number stamped on the frame. Where can I find frame number? I mean its location.

You answers will make up my mind with this project, so I appreciate your efforts and handsup .. and I'll keep posting my project updates once started.

-- Regards

Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Zord
New User
Here is the car

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
It looks like at least some of the wheels are not widow makers. That is good.
Sheet metal is effectively identical with the exception of fenders. Running gear and brakes, not so much. The frame number is normally stamped on front passenger-side rail near the cab mount. The truck appears to be in good shape.
Oh, and - welcome!

Last edited by The Horvaths; 12-08-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Proper manners.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Welcome. The "huge flat thingy" in the back is just simply referred to as the "bed", or the "flat bed". That is actually a flathead V8 engine. As far as your plans to convert it to an F-1 style truck, the only things that are the same between the F-1 and the F-5 are the cab, hood, engine (not the transmission), and radiator. Everything else (including the frame itself) is different.

The huge amount of money and effort that you would spend trying to convert that 2-ton truck down to a half-ton truck would probably be much greater than the expense and time it would take you to import an F-1 from America.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I do believe I see a V8 in the engine bay. Be aware the F5 has a much heavier frame than the F1, may take a bit of modification to get a small F1 size bed fit up.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Zord
New User
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Oh, and - welcome!
Thank you buddy.. your answer was truly help full.

Originally Posted by Doc
The huge amount of money and effort that you would spend trying to convert that 2-ton truck down to a half-ton truck would probably be much greater than the expense and time it would take you to import an F-1 from America.
According to the restoration services you guys have in the states, your suggestion will be totally correct, BUT according to our prices here in Kuwait, the whole scenario will flip

Example: I contacted couple of restoration companies in the states, asking for rust free full body sand blast, prime, and painting charges, the price was between USD 15K upto 25K. While same jobs I do it in Kuwait for USD1500 ... yes, one thousand and five hundred .. so you can imagine the rest.

As a matter of fact, over all project coast estimation is USD 25K, and that include LS3 engine, 4L80E trans, cooling system, full front IFS, read end mods, and ofcourse the body works and paint.

So, what do you think? Help me now

Originally Posted by raytasch
I do believe I see a V8 in the engine bay. Be aware the F5 has a much heavier frame than the F1, may take a bit of modification to get a small F1 size bed fit up.
As I said, I never drove any Ford car (don't know who's bad luck that is) so I careless what engine this car has since I'm planning to burn it with chevy engine.

As for the frame weight, I really don't have any problem since I'm planning to make it show car with fair power driveline ... now about the other mods .. I'm ready for it.. lets say relocating the rear end to accept original shortbed isn't that big deal for me.

Guys .. I really like what is running here ... I wish all the upcoming replies would consider what is written here .. by me or to me

Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're determined to take this on, and I wish you well. The body parts are all the same between the F1 and the F5, with the exception of the wheel openings in the fenders. Their physical shape is the same size. Since your plans include a complete drivetrain change, you can make any changes and modifications you want and they can be made to work. The frame vin stamp on a 51, assuming the truck was originally US production, should be on the right frame rail near the motor mount.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome Aboard Zaman

It sounds like a fun project. Please start a build thread as you start
making it happen. Be nice to your Hood & Doors - they don't make any
reproduction ones.

It seems like the hardest part of your build would be getting your frame cut down to F1 size. What are you thinking to do to reduce the length?

Good luck over there in Kuwait.

Ben in Austin, Texas
1950 F1

Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing

Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Zord
New User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
It sounds like you're determined to take this on
Not really, I'm still shaky and reconsidering the project. Honestly the price for this car is worth a try as its has very low price.

Originally Posted by ben73058
Be nice to your Hood & Doors - they don't make any reproduction ones.

It seems like the hardest part of your build would be getting your frame cut down to F1 size. What are you thinking to do to reduce the length?

Good luck over there in Kuwait.
You are totally right, today I found the hood is little more rusty. I seriously aren't afraid from the frame modz. I'll post beneath what did I found in local salvage companies that suits this frame.

Originally Posted by arctic y block
Subscribing
I appreciate your following up

Old 12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Zord
New User
Here is some detailed photos taken today for the car.

- I need to know what Rearend that is? Can I still find ring and pinion for it?

ruffly the frame section inner size

Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Zord
New User
Ok.. Today I visited some salvage area, and I found two perfect choice as for IFS:

- Corvette C5 IFS + four Grand Sport rims (Front 18" / Rear 19"). the advantage for this IFS is the engine mount that I'm gonna get already within the front cradle as well as Grandsport front big break system. the disadvantage with this option that I need to cut the cradle and the crossmember to fit the correct width

- Crown Victoria IFS, the advantage here is the wide size of the IFS bridge, Upper A Arms are easy to mount. Disadvantage is small front brake size, thus I need to go for after market upgrade.

As for rearend, I see the Crown Vic rearend (8.8) will still do my job, especially using the original four links mounted to the truck frame.

Any suggestion so far for what I say here? Please guys feel free to participate with more ideas and info.

-- Regards

Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Sounds like to me you have it all figured out. If you're capable of doing all that to an F-5, you've far surpassed the abilities of most of the people here. I'm gonna watch your progress with this project with great enthusiasm.

I have to say, that is a nice F-5. Somebody put a lot of nice work into that restoration in the past. Welcome again. We'll be watching.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Looks like an awfully nice original truck to cut up.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Zaman,
Did you get the truck?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Quick Reply: 1951 F5 From Kuwait (project)