1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are more expensive tires worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Xtreamist9
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put some nitro trail grapplers on my f350 and they work wonders in the snow

Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
The Michelin LTX M/S2 have a 70,000 mile warranty..... And the LTX A/T2 have a 60,000 mile warranty. Not sure what these warranties entail, but that seems quite the warranty.
The Michelin LTX A/T2 are a very nice highway tire but are all but useless when you need them for dirt roads with any kind of mud or in the snow. I have them on my truck as they are the factory tires and hate them. I am hoping to go to Hankook DynaPro AT/M's like I had on my Dodge as they were a very nice AT tire that was a real AT tire unlike the Michelin's and not overly aggressive as to be noisy on the highway. Alot of companies around here use the Hankook's on the dually company 4x4 trucks. Also the Yokohama Geolander AT/S is a very nice tire.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 AM
fx4maddawg
Junior User
Good luck getting the BFG AT KO at this time of year. I tried to order them for my f-150 and was told they're back ordered, maybe I could get them by Jan. or Feb. I went with the BFG rugged terrain since I could get those and I needed tires ASAP for winter.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
The Michelin LTX A/T2 are a very nice highway tire but are all but useless when you need them for dirt roads with any kind of mud or in the snow. I have them on my truck as they are the factory tires and hate them. I am hoping to go to Hankook DynaPro AT/M's like I had on my Dodge as they were a very nice AT tire that was a real AT tire unlike the Michelin's and not overly aggressive as to be noisy on the highway. Alot of companies around here use the Hankook's on the dually company 4x4 trucks. Also the Yokohama Geolander AT/S is a very nice tire.

Noted.........

Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fx4maddawg
Good luck getting the BFG AT KO at this time of year. I tried to order them for my f-150 and was told they're back ordered, maybe I could get them by Jan. or Feb. I went with the BFG rugged terrain since I could get those and I needed tires ASAP for winter.
Probably true but with a 245/75-17 that's smaller than any newer truck out there. Less popular sizes may be more readily available.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 PM
farmboy989
Junior User
Better tires are worth the money, i have ran several sets of hankook dynapro atm's, two weeks ago i put on dynapro mt's and i love them. My uncle has them on his f350 and they are great tires. No road noise and still have good tread at 55k miles. You may also check on some yokohama geolander ats, they are a great tire as well.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 PM
crown14
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK

A dually is big. The 4 tires in the back are not going to provide the best traction in mud and things like that.
Not true, its literally double the traction? Try towing in mud or hauling a lot of weight in the bed with srw then with a dually?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 PM
NovaNewfie
Senior User
Originally Posted by crown14
Not true, its literally double the traction? Try towing in mud or hauling a lot of weight in the bed with srw then with a dually?
That being said a light dually isn't worth a pinch of coon crap in mud or snow. Dual wheels are designed to spread the weight out over twice the contact area... Therefore less traction, unless you have a fair bit of weight over the back wheels.
Mine is fine if I've got a tonne or so in the back of it. In two wheel drive light even with the limited slip it would get stuck on wet grass. Thats with six new rugged trail BFGs. With one of these bigger trucks the front end weighs so much more than the rear unless you add weight to even it out it takes a lot of traction to push the front wheels.
You could always just turn the dial to four by then you're gonna go somewhere.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:52 PM
crabhab
Senior User
I would steer more towards an aggressive highway tire with a 6 wheeled truck. I have had good luck with the stock BF rugged trails on my super duty and I ran michelins on the company dually trucks I maintain. There are more than a few lifted F350/F450 duallys running the streets of Ocean City, MD with spacers between the wheels to keep the tires from rubbing.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:55 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
One problem, in some areas it's illegal to have snow chains on street vehicles. Only exception is Semis and that's very limited.
As it was said chains for emergency get out of the sheet situation not touring the USA. The longest I've had to have chains on when pulling a trailer with skid steer over Rt7 Vermont into New Hampshire (Ice/ Snow conditions) if there was a hotel on the mountain open I would of called it the day but there wasn't.

Here is 2 places to look at chain laws.

Tire Chains | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
http://www.witruck.org/state_chain_laws.pdf

Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
what you need to compare is the cost of the tire related to the miles you will get out of them. Sometimes a cheaper tire will wear better then some expensive tires, thus your cost per mile will be less. The only bad thing is there is some trial and error with this method since you will have to try a few different tires to see what wears best, unless you know people who run the tires you are looking at with a truck that is almost identical.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://m.sears.com/index-g.html#/pro...0070921x00003j

Check these Michelin XDS2 tires out.
Great traction on and off road.
Great in snow and ice.

I might add that I've seen 110k on these tires with a truck that weighs 16k lbs.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by crabhab
I would steer more towards an aggressive highway tire with a 6 wheeled truck. I have had good luck with the stock BF rugged trails on my super duty and I ran michelins on the company dually trucks I maintain. There are more than a few lifted F350/F450 duallys running the streets of Ocean City, MD with spacers between the wheels to keep the tires from rubbing.

Yea I definitely need a highway friendly tire.

So my thougts are the only property I'm driving on is mine, my friends, and the local dumps. All will provide a good surface not needing some mud tire to get me out. Remember I'm dragging a trailer weighing between 10,000-14,000lbs. You don't take that weight onto a surface that you'd need a super aggressive tire. I've been driving in the snow with worn rugged trails so a super aggressive tire isn't necessary. That's what 4 wheel drive is for. Probably not getting anything until spring anyways.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:21 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,298 Posts
I still believe you can't go wrong with the OEMs. No sense trying to re-invent the wheel.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
I still believe you can't go wrong with the OEMs. No sense trying to re-invent the wheel.
I have yet to own anything with great tires from the factory. There are so many better options out there.

Quick Reply: Are more expensive tires worth it?