1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Norfolknova's 66 F100 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
norfolknova
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 66ordie
It's showing a lot of progress, I find it interesting because I am doing similar things to my 66. I just finished relocating the tank and I have a CV front end that I am going through before I jump into that job. I will be following your thread, good luck.

Just curious, what type of tank are you putting in yours? Are you mounting a tank behind the axle. I need to take some measurements on my 92 F250 and see just how wide the tank is and see if I can make one of them fit between the frame rails.

If it is not too cold tomorrow I am going to try to get the CV front cross member mounted. I am just not a big an of freezing while I work on cars.

Matt

Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
mechanic58
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by norfolknova
If it is not too cold tomorrow I am going to try to get the CV front cross member mounted. I am just not a big an of freezing while I work on cars.

Matt
Me either...this is the inside of my shop here at the house...

Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^ nice garage what's the dimensions on that sucker?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM
66ordie
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I put a F2 1970 mustang tank, I had to remove two cross members and one went back in original location the other I spaced between the frame end and the last crossmember for additional support.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 PM
mechanic58
Tuned
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
^ nice garage what's the dimensions on that sucker?
40 x 60 with a 12' outside wall. From the floor to the peak of the roof (inside) is about 17'.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 AM
norfolknova
Elder User
I did manage to brave the cold, well o.k., it really was not too bad out. I mounted the Crown Vic front subframe and it is back n all fours as a roller. I still need to pick up some plate to box the front frame where the subframe is mounted. Make the mounts for the lower control arm radius arms, I might be able to re-purpose the 66 radius arm mounts. Then comes mounting the Mark VIII rear suspension in a couple of weeks.

Matt

Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 PM
mechanic58
Tuned
^^^ This is what I want to do to mine...but that looks a bit wide. How does the track width compare to the original track width?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
I did not measure the original track width before I removed the front suspension, so I do not know whee it will compare to the crown vic front end

matt

Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Oldschool1962
New Oldbie

Matt,

That's a ton of work looking at the new front end and I don't wnat to be the one to .....ss on your parade but I noticed mechanic58's comment about track. Granted the 66 had a bit of a stagger from front to rear to begin with but from the picture showing the installed crown vic suspension.......your wheels look like they're tracking about a foot outside the rears. I'm no expert but it looks like the spindles combined with the control arms are what seems to be messing things up. Hope it's only a visual trick! It kills me to see anyone invest that kinda effort and have the work be for nothing.

Hope it works to your advantage.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
mechanic58
Tuned
Originally Posted by norfolknova
I did not measure the original track width before I removed the front suspension, so I do not know whee it will compare to the crown vic front end

matt
I happen to have an '04 CV sitting in my back pasture and I also have a '62 F100 with a stock straight axle under the front end. I just measured them both - hopefully this will be useful information for someone:

Originally Posted by mechanic58
Ok - here's the measurements:

1962 F100 straight front axle track width, measured at the CL of the tread on each tire and averaged taking into consideration the tow, front and rear - 61 5/8".

2004 Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor, measured the same as above - 63 1/4".

Now, these numbers are deceiving due to the different offsets of the wheels. My F100 has some 70s model ford truck steelies on it. I believe they're 6" wide with a 0 offset. The CV on the other hand has a very deep backspace on the wheel. I believe they're 8" wide with at least a 5 1/2" backsapce. So with 0 offset wheels on the CV front end, the track width would then be 66 1/4" and possible more. I'm not positive on the backspace on those wheels.

So, this means that the CV/GM front ends are roughly 5" wider than the stock F series axle. Now I don't know how the straight axles compare to the twin i-beams, but I'd guess they are probably pretty close.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
Originally Posted by Oldschool1962
Matt,

That's a ton of work looking at the new front end and I don't wnat to be the one to .....ss on your parade but I noticed mechanic58's comment about track. Granted the 66 had a bit of a stagger from front to rear to begin with but from the picture showing the installed crown vic suspension.......your wheels look like they're tracking about a foot outside the rears. I'm no expert but it looks like the spindles combined with the control arms are what seems to be messing things up. Hope it's only a visual trick! It kills me to see anyone invest that kinda effort and have the work be for nothing.

Hope it works to your advantage.

I think part of the major difference is visual, but I am not keeping the stock solid axle rear axle. The truck is getting the Lincoln Mark VIII IRS. The Mark VIII has a similar track width to the Crown Vic. Most of my friends are Mustang people so after I get the body back on I will fit a couple of different sets and see what fits under the fenders, or I may have to order a set of wheels with deeper offsets.
Another reason I think it looks awkward and so much wider in the front is the donut spares I have on there. I picked those up cheap at pick and pull so I would not have to worry about damaging a good set of wheels in the build process.
Next weekend I will try to throw a set of Mustang wheels on the front, I am also going to set the engine on the mounts so I can fab up a proper front cross member. I just used a piece of 2 inch angle iron to keep the frame from spreading when I removed the factory cross member.

Plus the design of the fenders lends themselves to be modified a little (While it won't be easy) to widen the flares to fit a little wider track.

I will be sure to post up what size wheels I use when I get to that point

Thanks

Matt

Old 01-05-2014, 05:39 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
Originally Posted by mechanic58
I happen to have an '04 CV sitting in my back pasture and I also have a '62 F100 with a stock straight axle under the front end. I just measured them both - hopefully this will be useful information for someone:
Thanks for the measurements. When I go out to work on it next weekend to work on it I will try to remember to get the rotor to rotor and the drum to drum measurements on both the Dana 44 and the Mark VIII axle, then I will have a better idea of how much difference I am dealing with.

Thanks again

matt

Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 PM
66ordie
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CV install

It looks great, I have a long way to go before I get close to that. Why's next in the process.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:31 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
Up next is making a cross member to go in front of the subframe, boxing the frame where the sub frame is mounted, and I need to make a piece the will go over where the sub frame nuts are and the upper shock tower brace will bolt down to. After I am done with the front end i will move to the rear. That will take me a couple of days working on it just to get all of the brackets off of the frame. Then i can mount the Mark VIII rear axle
Once all of the suspension is done I am going to soda blast the frame and paint it with POR 15

Matt

Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
I was just talking to my buddy who owns the house where my truck is at and we are going to blot up a couple of different sets of mustang wheels and tires next weekend and get some measurements. Plus I will drop the motor into the cradle to get a few hundred pounds over the axle

matt

Quick Reply: Norfolknova's 66 F100 Build