Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Senior User

Xv10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Y-Pipe vs stock T-Pipe - Reason for DRONE?

Would anyone know the reason for the cabin drone that suddenly sets in at around 75 mph? The drone gets less approaching 90 mph and then basically disappears.

My Ex V10 2004 4x4 has the following mods:

(1) SUSPENSION LIFT. ProComp 4".
(2) GEARS. Re-geared to 4.56.
(3) PERFORMANCE. Banks PowerPack, i.e. Banks cold air intake, Banks exhaust manifolds, Banks y-pipe, and Banks Automind programmer.
(4) EXHAUST. Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, single-in-dual-out (SIDO). Stock cat remained in place.
(5) WHEELS. Moto Metal MO951 Chrome wheels, 20x10, 8/170, ET -18, BSM 4.79, with 35/12.5/20 (315/60/20) Nitto Trail Grappler tires.

Maybe the reason for the DRONE is the Y-pipe that replaced the restrictive stock T-pipe (but which did not generate a drone)?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
that's why Ford installed the "T" pipe. the early V-10's were a more traditional Y pipe and caused a "flutter". later V-10's had the "T" shape installed to remove the flutter noise

some guys hear the flutter, others don't. at some point I'm going to ditch my "T" for a 3v motor "Y" setup. just waiting to get me a welder first
Old 12-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
that's why Ford installed the "T" pipe. the early V-10's were a more traditional Y pipe and caused a "flutter". later V-10's had the "T" shape installed to remove the flutter noise

some guys hear the flutter, others don't. at some point I'm going to ditch my "T" for a 3v motor "Y" setup. just waiting to get me a welder first
Thanks, Tylus! So, what would you recommend me to do? Putting the stock T-pipe back? Isn't there any other solution? What about drilling a little hole in the Y-pipe?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:55 AM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
personally i think part of the issue may be your muffler. the super 44 flowmaster is a very agressive and drone prone muffler. you may have some luck with adding a resonator or a more "tame" muffler...just my opinion though.
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 12-08-2013, 06:17 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
drone is likely what Russ mentioned. the muffler

but I personally wouldn't put the t back in. it's very restrictive.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx View Post
personally i think part of the issue may be your muffler. the super 44 flowmaster is a very agressive and drone prone muffler. you may have some luck with adding a resonator or a more "tame" muffler...just my opinion though.
You're right, I should try that out. What muffler would you recommend? I love a deep, full, sonorous sound
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
drone is likely what Russ mentioned. the muffler

but I personally wouldn't put the t back in. it's very restrictive.
Thanks, Tylus, I agree. I guess I'll try another muffler. Which one would you recommend?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM
MMNC (SS)

um...why put one back in? I'm straight piped at the moment. sounds pretty decent, a bit loud. but since you already have a Crapmaster muffler on there, it might actually be quieter.

look at a "bullet" style muffler if you really need/want one. they flow the best and also sound the best IMO. but I'd try straight piped first. it's free, and if you don't like it you can always put something else in there since that's sorta the plan
Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
i have not tried alot of mufflers on the V10, currently i have NO muffler like Tylus but the rest of my exhaust is stock so i dont know what difference in sound the headers/y-pipe would make in loudness.

Alot of guys here have said they like the 70 series Flowmaster, some like Magnaflow...personally i'm thinking about putting a glasspack on to tone down mine just a tad and i really like how it sounds on my 5.4 V8 (whole different animal though) if i ever do i'll make sure to report back with findings...currently i cant bring myself to put a muffler on it just yet as every time i hit the gas it just sounds so sweet!
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 12-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Elder User

1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold
I replaced my stock Y-pipe with the SPD Y-pipe that i orderes through 5-star tuning. I don't have the drone that was supposedly there before Fords "fix"!

Enjoying Silver Lake Sand Dunes!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
World Famous

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
I'm betting on the muffler as the source of your drone. I have the Banks headers and Y-pipe on my V-10 with the stock cat and exhaust and I have no drone at all.

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Postmaster

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
I have the Banks headers and Y-pipe on my V-10 with the stock cat and exhaust and I have no drone at all.
Show off! Lol... Tom I had the same system on my previous Ex no drone either.
05 LTD 4x4, PSD, ARP, Tuner, Cat Delete, K&N CAI,4" Exhaust w 6" SS Tip, 5" Lift, air bags & RAS, 35's Terra Grapplers on Fuel Wheels, Bilstein 5100's with Dual stabilizers, Twin air, train horn, Amp Research, Rigid Industries, F&R Mag Hytec, Pioneer Nav, 2010 OEM mirrors, DC 270 amp, Blue spring, much more...02 LTD 4X4, V10 Sold
"I bought a 6.0 PSD and I'm not afraid"
Old 12-09-2013, 10:49 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
My headers and Y pipe quieted down my exhaust over the manifolds and upgraded y.

Dave

2003 Excursion Limited, V10, 4.88s, 315/75R16s on 16x10s
100% posting from iPhone
Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
I'm betting on the muffler as the source of your drone. I have the Banks headers and Y-pipe on my V-10 with the stock cat and exhaust and I have no drone at all.
Thank you, this is very interesting. So, the difference between your and my exhaust system is (1) the muffler (you have the stock one; I have the Flowmaster Super 44); and (2) the exhaust pipe after the muffler (you have the stock single pipe; I have dual pipes). Correct?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLarge View Post
Show off! Lol... Tom I had the same system on my previous Ex no drone either.
Hi LivingLarge, so are you also saying that the muffler is most likely to be the reason for the drone?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 AM