Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dual wheel conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dual wheel conversion kit

Anybody ever done one of these conversions ? - Arrowcraft dual wheel conversion kit.Dont know how to post a link. Keep thinking about converting mine & ran across this site. Looking for stability & peace of mind while towing the 5er. Thoughts ? www.arrowcraft.com Edit -I do now.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A member here converted his SRW to a dually from a donor truck & it came out great. Here is the link to his pics ---> Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Sheldon Plankton's Album: Dually Conversion

Sadly he fell of the grid and hasn't been on here for almost two years. Him and I went to BTS together to get our trannys built. He also has a big RV.

Not sure about the kit you posted above, haven't heard anything about it.

As a fellow RV'r I came from a single wheel Superduty to my dually & you are correct, the stability is amazing in comparison.
I do know a guy in Pa who wants to convert his dually into a single wheel truck. If your up for a road trip you may be able to work out a swap.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:25 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Frank -Appreciate the link - I'm getting tired of waiting for you to sell me your truck so that is why I'm looking into this, HaHa - What's the dry weight of your rv, btw ?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Frank -Appreciate the link - I'm getting tired of waiting for you to sell me your truck so that is why I'm looking into this, HaHa - What's the dry weight of your rv, btw ?
Good answer Bill
The sticker says 13,770 lbs
I've never weighed my truck or camper separate, but together they gross :

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2013, 04:38 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
First of all I love my dually when it comes to towing and after towing with a dually I could never go back to a SRW as far as towing goes. Now I looked at that kit and it is a nice kit but......Here is the problem you still have a SRW differental. I agree with Frank that if you want to go to a dually get a real DRW differental Dan80. The Dana 80 can handle whatever you throw at it. I can't say the same with the SRW diff. There is tread out there where Jason ripped a tooth off the ring gear towing heavy with a SRW. Just something to think about besides if you find one in a junk yard you can get it with wheels, diff and hopefully springs too for about the same price of the kit or less.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
First of all I love my dually when it comes to towing and after towing with a dually I could never go back to a SRW as far as towing goes. Now I looked at that kit and it is a nice kit but......Here is the problem you still have a SRW differental. I agree with Frank that if you want to go to a dually get a real DRW differental Dan80. The Dana 80 can handle whatever you throw at it. I can't say the same with the SRW diff. There is tread out there where Jason ripped a tooth off the ring gear towing heavy with a SRW. Just something to think about besides if you find one in a junk yard you can get it with wheels, diff and hopefully springs too for about the same price of the kit or less.
Ed- I am inclined to agree you. That kit,after looking at the site awhile doesnt seem like they have sold too many. I called them early this am & never heard back from them as far as a price quote.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 AM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
if your looking to do a swap...they cant be that hard, i lifted my dually twice on the street in front of my house (with more than enough beer in me) easy.

a buddy of mine wants to slap a dually rear end in his 2500 "duraturd". he has one of those monstrous in bed camper deals.

it's a simple as finding one with the correct gear ratio and heavy lifting, beer drinking, finger smashing, use of foul language...then your done.

i forgot. brakes. gonna need to bleed the brakes too.

go get a drw rear end from a yard-

-the hardest part will be getting it out of the bed of the delivery truck, prolly going to need a hoist.

Last edited by 73ferdf250highboy; 12-07-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added more...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
yup, had my axle out twice in one day. The second go around, took about 30min. Hardest part for me was clearing the exhaust to role the sucker backwards. After the 1st attempt, i "modded' my exhaust..lol. Cut it right where it dumps down over the axle, problem solved.

Undo the e-brake cables from the clasp under the d/s door. No tools needed for that, and not much elow grease too. Undo the clip where the soft line meets hardline, and get a catch can for the fluid. undo the shocks, support both drums, and hammer out the nuts, securing the ubolts, and that puppy will role right out. O-ya, remove the driveshaft from coupler, again, 6mm for them..(mind serves me right).

I'd find a junkyard/craiglist axle if possible.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:46 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

So can I just add the fender flare to my existing bed ?

Old 12-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
So can I just add the fender flare to my existing bed ?
Yep, but being that you have a short bed you'll have a hard time finding the correct factory dually fender for the drivers side. The short bed fender will have the fuel door in the fender while the long bed dually fenders do not.
You could go with the newer style fenders here is a link with both styles---> Fiberglass Rear Dually Fenders - Lowest Prices!

Some people hate the new style, I personally love them...

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2013, 04:29 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
make sure you are sitting down when you get the price of the arrowcraft kit.
even if you are sitting, you may just swallow your cigar when you hear it.

look for a wrecked dually to steal the rear axle, rims, and front adapters from

Old 12-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I love the look of the new style dually fenders.

Just wondering, If I was to convert my SRW to a DRW, would I have to change the axle ratio to a 4:10? Right now I have 3:73. Would adding the extra 2 wheels cause any damage to the rearend or would it be just fine?

Also, isn't it a requirement to have lights on the Dually fenders or is it a state by state thing?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6

Just wondering, If I was to convert my SRW to a DRW, would I have to change the axle ratio to a 4:10? Right now I have 3:73. Would adding the extra 2 wheels cause any damage to the rearend or would it be just fine?

Also, isn't it a requirement to have lights on the Dually fenders or is it a state by state thing?
Thats a good point - I think the dually rear ends come in 3.73 & 4.10. The lights -not sure but I would hook those up anyway as I just like the look. Somebody correct me if wrong on the gear ratio

Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6

If you adding a dual wheel adapter to your existing axle then no. If your swapping in a dually rear axle then you would want to match the gear ratio to what you have in the front axle.

The lights are a DOT requirement on any vehicle over 80 inches wide.

That's why all dually's come from the factory with these lights installed.
The three center lights on the cab & below the tailgate are called "I.D." lights or "identification lights" they stand for "wide truck" or a vehicle over 80 inches wide. The two outside cab lights are "clearance" lights to show the outside dimensions, dually fenders included.
Many add the cab lights to SRW trucks for the looks.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There are not many drw with 3:73s... There out there but most will have 4:10 anf if I recall right you may even come across some with 4:30s and the 450s I wanna say have 4:88s

EDIT if I were pulling as heavy as franko I would want at least 4:10s

Quick Reply: Dual wheel conversion kit