1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powered telescoping/heated side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
bthr22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powered telescoping/heated side mirrors

Got a set of tow mirrors off an 05(?) SD that have the heated mirrors, turn signal, and powered telescope. They're the same style as my current ones, just with the added stuff.

I found a lot of really useful info searching around the forum about wiring them up, but I still have a few questions.

First, for the telescoping switches, can I just replace the button section of the door panel with a newer set that would have the switches? Or should I just install a set of momentary switches somewhere?

Next, it looks like the heaters are generally installed so that when the truck is on, so are the heaters. I just want to confirm that.

Third, will I need to cross the wires on the mirror motors to get the correct direction of movement like on the 08 mirrors?

And finally, the driver side main mirror at one point got a big spiderweb crack in it. To retain the heating function, will I need to find a new mirror with the heating panel, or can I just install my old mirror and reattach the heating panel.

Thanks for any help!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My heaters don't stay on when the truck is on.
Theres a time delay switch.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you sure they are power extend ? The first year that was offered was 08..

Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 PM
bthr22
Senior User
I'm pretty sure they are, my friend had them on his F250 and replaced them. He gave them to me yesterday because he was getting rid of stuff he's been storing. He said they're power telescoping, heated, and they have the turn signal and marker lights on them. I can post a picture if that might help.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They arent power telescoping unless they are 08+

Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bthr22
I'm pretty sure they are, my friend had them on his F250 and replaced them. He gave them to me yesterday because he was getting rid of stuff he's been storing. He said they're power telescoping, heated, and they have the turn signal and marker lights on them. I can post a picture if that might help.
Yes post a pic if you can...

Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
bthr22
Senior User

My friend had them on his truck, so I'm assuming that when he says they were power extending, that they actually were. He did say that they were not power folding though. And I may be mistaken as to which year these mirrors are actually from. This one is the one I mentioned had the broken mirror. I'm assuming that is replaceable and will still have the heat.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 PM
real_texan
Freshman User
Those are manual telescoping and manual fold

Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Yeah lol, unless they are custom somehow, there are no power extending mirrors that ive seen prior to 08

Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Hmm. Interesting lol. I'll have to ask him what's up with that. I mean it's not like it's a huge deal, they were free, and the turn signals and heated mirrors alone are definitely worth it to swap.

Any idea how difficult it would be to pull and replace the glass and keep the heating unit?

And I haven't looked at the connector but I'm guessing the connector on my 00 would be the older round style. If so, how tough would it be to put a flat connector on?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 PM
bthr22
Senior User
So I talked to my friend and asked him to give me a little clarification. As usual, you all were right, and I was just completely misunderstanding. He did say powered, telescoping, heated w/ turn signals but he meant just the mirrors. And all of a sudden, everything clicked into place!

So yeah, now I just need to figure out how to pull the broken mirror and replace the glass.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 AM
diggintrenches
Senior User
I have a similar situation as well. My truck has the power "sport" mirrors (03). Definatly not good for towing. I was wondering if the power towing mirrors would be a direct plug and play situation. Such as....if I grab a set with the turn signals, is the harness in the door pre-wired for that? Will the function button on the door panel work the towing mirrors the same as the sport mirrors? I'm not concerned about a working heat function, but if the wiring harness will not work the turn siglas, then I need to make sure I get a set without them due to a non-working light will not pass a Virginia State Inspection. thanx.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Diggin- From what I've read searching the forum, you will only have the wires for the mirror motors and a ground wire. You can pretty easily check by popping the door panel off and checking the connection. That should take less than 20 minutes. The newer tow mirrors have the flat connection like in my pictures, and I think they started using the flat connector in the 03 model year. So for you, it shouldn't be difficult to run a wire to each turn signal. The signal mirrors should also have marker lights, so you can also run a wire to your headlight switch as well. It all depends on how much time you want to invest in the installation. If you have a little knowledge of wiring and soldering, the project shouldn't take too long at all.

And of course, you could add the wire to the heated mirrors as well.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

My old 03 came with the stupid little mirrors that only had power glass. Bought tow mirrors that had heat as well and plugged them in, heat worked. 2 years later i bought tow mirrors with the blinker/running light and heat and plugged them in and everything worked. Had a rectangular plug

Old 12-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
99-01 trucks have the round plug with power for movement, heat only

02-04 have the square plug that has power, blinker, heat

05-current have the square plug that has power, blinker, running lights, heat

Quick Reply: Powered telescoping/heated side mirrors