6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

looking for factory fog lights for a XL

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM
shark1979
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for factory fog lights for a XL

I have a 2012 XL, I just bought it a couple weeks ago. I would like to add factory fog lights. I have found factory kits on ebay form ford dealers. the problem is all the kits I am finding are for XLT and say will not work on XL. what is the difference? with the factory fog lights will they stay on with the high beams ? my 2001 XLT the fog lights would go off with the high beams. the reason I am wanting the fog lights , I am finding the factory headlights to not be very bright. looking for some extra light. I do a fair amount of back road driving and like the extra light. I have thought about adding some driving lights and using the upfitter switch , but want to keep the factory look. Any Ideas?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM
hazmat17
New User
I did the upgrade on my 2011 XL. It required a new body control module, new headlight switch, and dealer programming of the module and key to get it to work in addition to the fog lights. If i did it again, I'd just get the factory fogs and wire to an up fitter switch. The lights go out on high beam.

I found instructions on either this forum or the diesel stop, can't remember which.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
As far as I know, the factory wiring should be present to where the fog light harness would plug into, even on vehicles not equipped. I would be hard pressed to believe the BCM needing replaced though. It COULD just be a simple matter of programming As-Built data on the BCM from another identical vehicle equipped with fog lights from the factory into your existing BCM. As far as your high beams are concerned though, the fog lights will shut off on every vehicle as soon as they are turned on. Federal law requires this.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
As far as your high beams are concerned though, the fog lights will shut off on every vehicle as soon as they are turned on. Federal law requires this.
Hey M-Chan, have you seen a work around for this? There are those few times that I want both my beams & fogs on.
Not that I don't respect Federal Law you understand
Off Road conditions only of course
Forgive the thread jack...

Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 PM
hazmat17
New User
The harness was there. The instructions that I got either online or from the ebay seller of the lights said I needed an XLT BCM and the headlight switch that pulls out to energize the fogs. I do remember a physical difference on the BCM - extra relay perhaps???

Not saying the "as built data" approach won't work - just the instruction I was given.

Originally Posted by m-chan68
As far as I know, the factory wiring should be present to where the fog light harness would plug into, even on vehicles not equipped. I would be hard pressed to believe the BCM needing replaced though. It COULD just be a simple matter of programming As-Built data on the BCM from another identical vehicle equipped with fog lights from the factory into your existing BCM. As far as your high beams are concerned though, the fog lights will shut off on every vehicle as soon as they are turned on. Federal law requires this.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Much simpliar to just install. make harness put relay right by battery. run one wire from relay inside to a LED toggle switch, a ground, and pickup a key on power wire at fuse box. end up with a total seperate system. and can flip on or off anytime you want them. i chose not to use upfitters. as going down road its much easier to flip switch just under headlamp switch. No screwing with a BCM.or anything $5 relay $4 LED 30amp switch.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:12 AM
hazmat17
New User
digging thru my folder I found the instructions for adding the FORD kit to the XL including the BCM install.

instruction # SKBC3J-19B532-AA can't find a soft copy on the web.

kit is $269 + shipping on ebay with the BCM.

Like I said, if i did it again, I'd go to an upfitter. Thought this might be helpful for anyone that wants the factory install.

2011 2014 Ford F 250 F 350 F 450 F 550 Super Duty XL Fog Lamp Light Kit New | eBay

Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM
4df150
Elder User
Received 305 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Hdslider
Much simpliar to just install. make harness put relay right by battery. run one wire from relay inside to a LED toggle switch, a ground, and pickup a key on power wire at fuse box. end up with a total seperate system. and can flip on or off anytime you want them. i chose not to use upfitters. as going down road its much easier to flip switch just under headlamp switch. No screwing with a BCM.or anything $5 relay $4 LED 30amp switch.
I've done this for years when installing driving lights. But I used a "On / Off / On" switch. 1st on is always on and 2nd on tied with the high beams, when you turn on/off highs the DLs do the same.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
That would work as well. Lots options. You just gotta decide when you really want to use them..I refuse to have them shut off when I may want them on.factory setup sucks.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:15 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Josh, I did the factory fogs on my 2012 XL. Got the kit from partsguyed.com Horizon ford.
The trick is install everything except BCM, then take BCM to dealer and have them install and program. If you change it, it wont start and you will be towing to the dealer. Otherwise, was quite straightforward.

Good luck

Old 12-11-2013, 02:49 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Just to throw one more option at ya! I installed Baja Designs Squadron XL lights on my truck. They fit perfectly into the stock opening with a few adjustments. They also out perform every other light I have tested. They are a little more expensive though. $300-350 per light. I wired then into where the existing fogs were, so I can till use the same switch to contort it.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:26 PM
duallydondon
Junior User
Fog lights

Ford has kit EC3Z15200AA ,,,has everything you will need including new switch etc,,,am getting one as soon pay for the new wheels and Michelin tires!!!