1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Replaced glow plugs this week.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:17 PM
idt-572
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced glow plugs this week.

My truck has almost 300,000 miles on it and has started being hard to start since the weather turned cold. Around 25 degrees I had to plug up the block heater.

So I changed out all the glow pugs and replaced my tappet covers gaskets. I had a small leak and figured the connectors had to be getting in bad shape.

I havent gotten to try how its starts, as the temp has been above 30 since I did it. While I was working on it, I found a engine oil leak on the drivers side on what I am fairly sure is the oil cooler. It's about 3 inch in diameter and over a foot long.

What normally leaks oil on this item? And how much effort does it take to repair? I also found a small fuel leak under the filter housing. I haven't looked into it yet, but looks like it time to dive into it again.

Thanks,

Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Did you ohm out the Glow Plugs? You could of changed them for nothing(don't worry, I just did mine because I was in there)

Did you change or at least check the UVCHs?

The oil cooler is pretty simple. It is jet the tube that slides into cast ends. O-rings seal the tube to the ends

As for your fuel leak, it could be a bunch of things, But my 1st look would be the rubber horse connecting your pump/filter housing and lines/pump

If they are Blue, chances are they are original and should be changed. You will want DIESEL rated due hose with a "SAE 30r9" rating.

Some are 5/16 some are 3/8 A foot of each is more than enough

Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What brand are the new glow plugs? What relay do you have?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 PM
idt-572
Senior User
The glow plugs were Autolites and the valve cover gaskets were Dorman with the connector pig tails included.

I just (as you said) changed all while I was there. I figured as soon as I replaced just the bad ones it would be just a matter of time till some more went out.

This morning something strange happened. It started just fine as usual because of the warm temp (70*) and ran fine no smoke. Then as I was going out the drive way it developed a dead miss and started smoking.

I reved it a couple of times, still missed, then as I got out on the road and accelerated it instantly went away as quick as it started. It hasn't missed a beat all day.

I need to get the fuel and oil leak fixed soon before my wife raises a knot on my head............. It's getting on the concrete.

I will get my pressure washer out and clean off all the oil and grime next weekend and see if I can remedy the problems.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:09 PM
idt-572
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
What brand are the new glow plugs? What relay do you have?
The relay is a new one from Ford bought last year.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:41 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
It's possible you have a sticky injector with the dead miss.

You should have came on here before you bought autolites and installed them. They are known for swelling in the head, which in turn can lead to breaking upon removal. That leads to head removal..

Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Get rid of the auto lites. You want Motorcraft #ZD11

Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ +1; get those Autolites out and replace with Motorcraft/Beru ZD-11s. (edit - beat me to it....)

Time to start carrying some old box cardboard to slide under the truck to catch the leaks before they ick up the driveway, for the meanwhile anyway.

OEM GPR is "okay". Western Plow or Stancor are both more heavy-duty, and the WP relay is waaay cheaper.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
^^^^+2 on the autolites. I am in the middle of putting my engine back in as a result of a swollen/broken Autolite. I could have done just the head, but my up pipes were bad too. Those autolites are bad juju. This is my 2nd truck with that problem.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM
idt-572
Senior User
Man that sux.............. Thanks guys your right I should have ask on here first. I just never dreamed a glow plug would do something like that.

The injectors are not very old stage one baby Swamps, less than 2 years old.

Any way to address the sticking injector? I keep additive in it.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend who works on a lot of these motors for a living (he's a mechanic for UPS) and he swears by Lucas fuel system cleaner for clearing up injector issues. He gets the engine warm, shuts it down, drains the fuel bowl, then fills it with Lucas -- undiluted, then starts the truck up and gives it the beans. If you could do that and actually drive it, I'd take it out and drive it like you stole it. It couldn't hurt, IMO if you're pretty sure it is indeed a stuck injector.

Are you sure it isn't some bad wiring or something to that hole?

Sorry to hear about the Autolites too. That really sucks! Hopefully you don't have trouble with them. I wouldn't think you would if you get them out of there pretty soon.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:30 PM
idt-572
Senior User
Nate, I always drive mine like I stole it I will do the bowl fill deal and see what happens. I replaced the connectors with the ones that came with the valve covers.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made the mistake of using Autolite Glow plugs back in 2000. Was able to get all but one out after much work. 13 years later I still have one sheared off and fused to my head... Get them out ASAP!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
idt-572
Senior User
Made a post before I thought about this one............. But long story short, I had trouble with the Autolites, burnt up my harness..............

Found three bad, tops burnt down and shorting out. Motorcrafts installed now.

All the GP's came out with no trouble, but they hadn't been in to long either........

Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 PM
tlbranth
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Did you ohm out the Glow Plugs? You could of changed them for nothing(don't worry, I just did mine because I was in there)
Brad - what ohm reading is good? Can the test be done without removing the valve cover?

Quick Reply: Replaced glow plugs this week.