Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Senior User

G Ford Fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question on 5.4L in 2000 Expy Eddie Bauer

Hey y'all,

Just a quick general question about oil viscosity/type in my 2000 Expy E.B. 5.4.

This is not an "oil thread", but a thread with a request for clarification.

I know in the past LX1Man has posted extensively about the piston slap/knock the 5.4 is famous for and the reasons for that.

Per the dipstick for my 5.4 it calls for 5-30W oil which is what I put in it this past June when I serviced the truck (it only gets an annual service due to very limited miles, it's a spare).

I used the 5-30W because I tow a 5K lb travel trailer with it and figured when it gets hot, an engine of this age (has about 108K on it) would benifit from the thicker oil.

If I remeber correctly LX1Man has stated in the past the 5.4 was designed to be a 300K mile motor by Ford and my 5.4 does seem to be pretty stout yet for 14 yrs old and over 100k.

My issue is that I notice some piston slap/knock when it's cold using the 5-30W. If I also remeber correctly LX1Man advised it's OK to use 5-20W in my vintage 5.4 and that helps with piston slap/knock. I have run 5-20 in the past and the slap is not as bad with the thinner oil.

It's not horrible with the 5-30W, but is more noticeable. So to make a long story short, should I stick with the 5-30W because I'm working it hard to tow the travel trailer, or do you all think 5-20W is OK even working it that hard in the summer months.

Remeber, I only run about 2500 miles per year with it so I only change the oil once per year, right before annual inspection.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Sincerely,
Greg
Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 AM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
5w30 is ok to run. Around 2001 they switched to 5w20. This is a bit thinner and will reach the heads faster on a cold start-up. It also puts a little less drag on the oil pum so it may free up a hp or two. The main reason that they switched to 5w20 is to try to get every possible mpg improvement possible.
That being said, it is really up to you. The 01 that I had always ran 5w20 and I have towed 7500lbs+ in 98 degree weather and the a/c on with no oil issues at all. I always used Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 AM
Senior User

G Ford Fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMan1 View Post
5w30 is ok to run. Around 2001 they switched to 5w20. This is a bit thinner and will reach the heads faster on a cold start-up. It also puts a little less drag on the oil pum so it may free up a hp or two. The main reason that they switched to 5w20 is to try to get every possible mpg improvement possible.
That being said, it is really up to you. The 01 that I had always ran 5w20 and I have towed 7500lbs+ in 98 degree weather and the a/c on with no oil issues at all. I always used Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter.
Ok, thanks for the response Jimmy, I appreciate it. I think next annual I'm switching back to the 5-20W then. If it will cause no ill effects. The engine absolutely was quiter (no piston slap) with the 5-20W oil. Even with the 5-30 it's not as bad as the 5.4 in my 99 superduty was, it's just more noticable.

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)