Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Posting Guru

OldWoodsDiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
well, my truck seemed to be running normal again pretty much right away, but I did drive another 200 miles to the cabin and back after I ran it dry, so hopefully any more trapped air is out.

I still can't get over that feeling of just sitting there in the middle of an uphill one-way street thinking: "well, this is it, my engine has broken itself apart and i'm going to have to ride a tow truck 200 miles home and start tearing her apart this weekend." its like in the movies - though it wasn't my life that flashed in front of my eyes, but my truck's life.

at least it was just a scare!
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Posting Guru

DarkStarMedia is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I run my rear tank dry on almost every fill... that is how I know it's empty.

When my gauge hits E I usually have about 10G left... so I run it till she starts loosing power and switch tanks.... recovery is about 30s

Richard
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Posting Guru

I guess I just let it go a little too long before switching tanks. as soon as I felt it going, I switched tanks, but I guess I was too late - or maybe my fuel pump is a little weak.

and you say you have 10 GALLONS left when you're on E? that doesn't sound right.
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel View Post
I guess I just let it go a little too long before switching tanks. as soon as I felt it going, I switched tanks, but I guess I was too late - or maybe my fuel pump is a little weak.

and you say you have 10 GALLONS left when you're on E? that doesn't sound right.
I have the 38g tank... I need to pull the bed and take a good look at the float extension. I paid a guy to install the tank (he gave me a great deal).

Richard
Old 12-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Posting Guru

madMatador78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
gibby.1989 tombombadom tombombadom tombombadom
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird1965 View Post
Home

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...-mod-redo.html

No Thomas, there is a one inch or so rubber tube that runs down the larger fill tube. Around the rubber tube is your vent, the difference between the size of the fill line and rubber hose, while the rubber tube carries the fuel. It is way to small to take the volume of fuel that can be pumped thus shutting off the pump.

In the picture you have to drill a hole by the top of the fill line and run a hose from the top of the tank where the roll over valve is. This of course is after you pull the inner rubber hose out and throw it away.

See that's why these guys are the best! Thank you Glenn for the correction. I knew what I meant in my head (or so I thought) but sometimes I can't get it out or in this case it was lack of understanding. Thanks Glenn I'll send reps if I can!
1978 AMC Matador Sedan 360 V8 Auto Torqeflite 727 not running right now, gonna pull the motor soon!
1971 AMC Ambassador Brogham, 360 V8 Auto, trans is out, getting rebuilt!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
No problem Thomas, pulling that 5er I end up at a lot of truck stops because they have room to get around. The vent mod was high on my list, LOL. The one pictured is my new 38 gallon tank that I got started on but haven't finished yet. It is the biggest vent I've attempted to run yet.
The Mare 97 dually cc, s366 turbo, stage II's, IC, studs, springs, rods, JW auto, 4:10 LS, efuel, FS2500 bypass oil filter, HVHF IDM, IH WP, 6.0 trans cooler & fan, MBRP 4", SD dual tensioner, AFE intake, 220 amp alt, 38G rear tank, soundproofed, 3 TS chips
Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Posting Guru

for what its worth, I did the vent mod on my front tank and it hasn't made a lick of difference on the fuel station pump clicking off. plus it holds quite a bit of pressure/vacuum now, depending temperature or fuel consumption.

when I get around to replacing my bed and doing the bronco rear tank, i'm going to just add a big time atmospheric vent and tuck it way high up in the bed side somewhere with a good length downward-pointing leg so that water can't get up in it. tying the vent back into the filler neck didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

i'm sort of thinking that removing the small inner tube in the filler neck might have done more harm than good in terms of foam development during fill-up, which I think is what causes my clicking off. if I hold the handle so that the filler is just barely in the filler neck and touching the bottom edge of the opening, I can fill full speed. but I still can't go into the store to get my coffee at the same time because I need to hold it just right!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
I dont understand why it took more than 2 min of running to get the air out. These are NOT deadhead systems so any air in the system is sent back to the fuel tank
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
I was wondering the same thing. Think of how much air you introduce when you replace the filter. Just did both ours a couple weekends ago, lit 'em off on Monday and they were fine within a couple minutes.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
Quote:
for what its worth, I did the vent mod on my front tank and it hasn't made a lick of difference on the fuel station pump clicking off. plus it holds quite a bit of pressure/vacuum now, depending temperature or fuel consumption.

when I get around to replacing my bed and doing the bronco rear tank, i'm going to just add a big time atmospheric vent and tuck it way high up in the bed side somewhere with a good length downward-pointing leg so that water can't get up in it. tying the vent back into the filler neck didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

i'm sort of thinking that removing the small inner tube in the filler neck might have done more harm than good in terms of foam development during fill-up, which I think is what causes my clicking off. if I hold the handle so that the filler is just barely in the filler neck and touching the bottom edge of the opening, I can fill full speed. but I still can't go into the store to get my coffee at the same time because I need to hold it just right!
I don't understand JP, this is the second truck I've done this to successfully.
The Mare 97 dually cc, s366 turbo, stage II's, IC, studs, springs, rods, JW auto, 4:10 LS, efuel, FS2500 bypass oil filter, HVHF IDM, IH WP, 6.0 trans cooler & fan, MBRP 4", SD dual tensioner, AFE intake, 220 amp alt, 38G rear tank, soundproofed, 3 TS chips
Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:

Does you vent hose have ANY low spot in it? One dip and it will not function correctly
Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird1965 View Post
I don't understand JP, this is the second truck I've done this to successfully.
huh - does yours hiss a lot when you open the cap? I was afraid that maybe I made mine too airtight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Does you vent hose have ANY low spot in it? One dip and it will not function correctly
I don't think so, but I should check for that since its been a while. I thought I had it routed well, but maybe it sagged over time since the install. good point.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
huh - does yours hiss a lot when you open the cap? I was afraid that maybe I made mine too airtight...

I don't think so, but I should check for that since its been a while. I thought I had it routed well, but maybe it sagged over time since the install. good point.
Mine doesn't 'hiss' at all, sounds like you might have an obstruction in your vent line. Brad makes a good point, mine on my 'mule' dropped down and it didn't work right. I added some hose and looped it up high and fixed it.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:

I am willing to bet that you have a cap for a gas truck... the diesel caps are vented...

Richard

EDT: Also note that I am VERY hesitant to add any kind of atmo vent with out some kind of rollover valve. If there is ever an accident and the truck rolls I'd rather not be lying in a puddle of diesel. even the vented caps have protections so that they will not leak diesel in the case of a roll over.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Posting Guru

redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
That's the problem with mine. The seam or maybe pinch weld on the bottom of the bed is keeping the hose too low in one spot. No reason I can't notch out a spot or grind a bit off there huh?
MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
Old 12-06-2013, 03:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel