1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

The more RPM the slower the truck moves???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 PM
snowbrdjnky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more RPM the slower the truck moves???

I have been trying to research this but cant find anything that really matches yet. Hopefully someone can help or at least direct me somewhere. I have an 01 Eddie Baure with the XXR100 transmission.

We were driving back from and 800 mile trip and came up on some hills on the home stretch of the highway(I 70 westbound into kcmo). I began to notice the the transmission was downshifting a little more than usual at the base of the hills. Usually not shifting until half way up or so. Then after 20 min of this i noticed that it was really struggleing to get above 65 even at the top. Then 20 min later were having a hard time accelerating at all. At this point its the same for all gears. HIGH RPM (3 and 4k), truck barely moving.
We struggled the rest of the way home stoping to check vac hoses because of an air sound coming from drivers side somewhere. Exhausted from trip it sat in the driveway for 4 hours or so before i looked into it any further. Though there was not a check engine light i decided to hook up scanner and look at pending codes. Sure enough CYL 8 missfire, Bank 2 to rich, Bank 1 to lean. Knowing the problems with those dumb coil packs i replaced it and the plug.
PROBLEM SOLVED??? went for a test drive and all felt great. No Struggle, plenty of torque, all seems fine.

WHAT?????

How is this possable? I would think i would not be able to get the moter to those extreme RPMs if i was having trouble with a spark plug, or atleast struggle through the loss of power to gain speed. A V8 missing one cyl and cant get up a hill, come on!!

Anyway paying more attention now i noticed that between 4 and overdrive and sometimes between 3rd and 4th gears the RPM would ramp to 3k RPM (feeling some torque at this point) then a nice an smooth transfer down to 2.5k thats when it really kicks in. There is no jolt during this. It doesnt feel like any gear shifting. More like the clutch pressed a little then released. It all seems to be in same gear. Checked fluid levels and all was good. Air sound from drivers side now gone. Im thinking because of new coil pack.

Is this a symptom of a transmission slipping? Torque converter going out? I have heard of things like flashing the tranny. Thought i would ask the experts here to see if im just being parinoid or if i need to look into this. I have never witnessed a tranny going bad personally.
Before we left i did a transmission filter change, New tires, Oil change, and put new oil in rear axle. Did not notice any problems before we left.

Thanks for your time, i know its a lengthy one.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 AM
wastingas
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your problems solved I would be happy!I dont see why you couldn't hit high RPMs? All said I would take a look at the MAF wires. I had the OD light flash that you mentioned. It only did it when the truck went over 65 I believe.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowbrdjnky
I have an 01 Eddie Baure with the XXR100 transmission.

Anyway paying more attention now i noticed that between 4 and overdrive and sometimes between 3rd and 4th gears the RPM would ramp to 3k RPM (feeling some torque at this point) then a nice an smooth transfer down to 2.5k thats when it really kicks in. There is no jolt during this. It doesnt feel like any gear shifting. More like the clutch pressed a little then released. It all seems to be in same gear. Checked fluid levels and all was good. Air sound from drivers side now gone. Im thinking because of new coil pack.

Is this a symptom of a transmission slipping? Torque converter going out?
You may really be paying too much attention. If you have the 4r100 tranny, 4r70 for that matter, you only have 4 gears. 1-3 and OD, not 4 plus OD.
We have seen so many times here where someone thinks their tranny is acting up when in fact, it's a misfire issue.
You probably are now "tuned" into the changes made and feel something different.
Remember that the transition from 3rd to OD is not always a hard shift point and sometimes deceiving.
I'd drive it for a bit to test again.