1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Dana 50 spindle nut. No idea.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
The preload on the bearings isn't very much, 17-25 ft-lb. In fact, you are actually suppose to have 000-.005 inch end play on the hub/rotor. So being able to turn the nut by hand doesn't surprise me.

Here's a pic of the spindle nut...

Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope the bearings are good. I'll check them and am going to pack them with grease while the spindle is off. I saved the tourqe specs for the nut.

DIY, I'm going to be doing the upper and lower ball joints on both sides.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wezol5484
Redman, thank you very very much. I wonder if we could get your write up as a sticky? Maybe already is just didn't see it. I guess the reason why the one I had wouldn't fit into the hub is because it wasn't rounded on the corners, as from what I remember, it was where it came to a point that would hit the splines and not allow it to slide in. As soon as I get home I'll be sending reps out.
No worries man. I doubt it's a sticky. I've never done a write up. I guess I could do a thorough one though and post it. I've got a lot of part numbers and stuff from my recent maintenance that I suppose could help someone. Where are you in TX?

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that nut what controls the preload on the wheel bearing? If that is the case and it isn't tight and you're driving on it, there is a good chance of messing up the bearings and spindle. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is that you're doing, but that's the way it looks to me.
Nope you're right. With the auto hubs that nut is the only thing holding it all together and controls the pressure against the bearings. Like Phil, I do love my auto hubs though.

...I'm going to be doing the upper and lower ball joints on both sides.
XRF parts were suggested to me and their 1st hand claims of reliability made them irresistable. You can get them at thetireclub.com and mibearings.com that I know of should you want some too.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:54 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by redman84
No worries man. I doubt it's a sticky. I've never done a write up. I guess I could do a thorough one though and post it. I've got a lot of part numbers and stuff from my recent maintenance that I suppose could help someone. Where are you in TX?
I live in Granbury, about 40 minutes South West of Ft. Worth on 377. You?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
redman84
Postmaster
I live in Granbury, about 40 minutes South West of Ft. Worth on 377. You?
I know where that is. I have family that lives east of Cresson off 918. I'm in College Station.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:10 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

I know where that is. I have family that lives east of Cresson off 918. I'm in College Station.
Dang, I was secretly hoping you were the guy who owns this awesome deep tan OBS CC SB 4x4 here in town.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, 2 3/4" rounded hex. The socket I got from O'reillys fits perfect.

You aren't too terribly far from Ennis. I go to a diesel event in Ennis once or twice a year.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Yup, 2 3/4" rounded hex. The socket I got from O'reillys fits perfect.

You aren't too terribly far from Ennis. I go to a diesel event in Ennis once or twice a year.
That's only about an hr and a half from me. What is this event and what time of year?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
That's only about an hr and a half from me. What is this event and what time of year?
The next one up there will be in April @ Texas Motorplex. It's an all diesel drag race, show and shine, and possibly a mobile dyno. I think they'll also have sled pulling, but I haven't heard for sure.

The world finals is also in Ennis again next year in October. This event will definitely have drag racing, show and shine, and a sled pull. Possibly a mobile dyno again. They've had a dyno the last two years, but when it comes to having a dyno at an event, it seems to be hit or miss until the day of the event on whether or not the dyno will actually be there. lol

I'm hoping to have my OBS ready by April, even if I don't have the speed parts in it, I should be able to run decently in Sportsman by then.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

The next one up there will be in April @ Texas Motorplex. It's an all diesel drag race, show and shine, and possibly a mobile dyno. I think they'll also have sled pulling, but I haven't heard for sure.

The world finals is also in Ennis again next year in October. This event will definitely have drag racing, show and shine, and a sled pull. Possibly a mobile dyno again. They've had a dyno the last two years, but when it comes to having a dyno at an event, it seems to be hit or miss until the day of the event on whether or not the dyno will actually be there. lol

I'm hoping to have my OBS ready by April, even if I don't have the speed parts in it, I should be able to run decently in Sportsman by then.
Well if I have my injectors rebuilt by then, then I will have to try and meet you down there. I'd love to see you run.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Sportsman? Is it a class?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Well if I have my injectors rebuilt by then, then I will have to try and meet you down there. I'd love to see you run.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Sportsman? Is it a class?
Yeah, sportsman is a bracket racing class. I've always run in this class, but I have never been passed the 2nd round b/c I couldn't get consistent enough with the 5 speed and 2wd. Over the winter I'm switching to a built auto and 4wd. I'm hoping that will get me down into the 12's and make it way more consistent. By all rights, I should pick up one second easily in the 60'. My quickest time is 13.67 with this setup, so I should be able to go 12's pretty easily even though I'll pick up extra weight and lose trap speed. That would be a good start anyways. Once I build an engine is when I'll go to a faster class.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Dang, I was secretly hoping you were the guy who owns this awesome deep tan OBS CC SB 4x4 here in town.
i know that feeling. There's one here in town that I oogle over all the time.

Yeah, sportsman is a bracket racing class. I've always run in this class, but I have never been passed the 2nd round b/c I couldn't get consistent enough with the 5 speed and 2wd. Over the winter I'm switching to a built auto and 4wd. I'm hoping that will get me down into the 12's and make it way more consistent. By all rights, I should pick up one second easily in the 60'. My quickest time is 13.67 with this setup, so I should be able to go 12's pretty easily even though I'll pick up extra weight and lose trap speed. That would be a good start anyways. Once I build an engine is when I'll go to a faster class.
What 4x4 swap you doing?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Look forward to hearing about that whole deal. Your truck looks like a freaking blast.

I guess had I waited until I got onto a computer I would of been able to see your hometown and picture of your truck, and answered my own questions

So, looked up the part number I was given by redman, showed up at Orielley's online. Then said it was available in the store. Turns out they just happen to of gotten one in. I am friends with the guy who I was talking to, so he hid the only one they have behind the counter somewhere for me. I got lucky! No paying for shipping, and I can get it worked on this weekend.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend

What 4x4 swap you doing?
'05+ swap. I'm building the axles pretty stout before I install them and I'm going to lower it a little lower than stock '05+ height.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Travis, you better plan on doing a build thread here so we can see your handiwork again. Us poor schlubs with no money have to live vicariously through somebody, it may as well be you!

Quick Reply: Dana 50 spindle nut. No idea.