6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

trans concerns with flush over fluid exchange

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM
SixGunCaliforniaKid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans concerns with flush over fluid exchange

So those of you that I talk to on the box know I'm headed from the Mexico border to Washington.

Like the good Marine I am I'm prepping my rig for the journey.

I have two concerns.. one is changing the fluid in the trans and doing the filters. While some say to do a flush and filters, I am deathly afraid of doing flushes... had a bad experience where the flush made my old Chevy trucks trans loose gears...

This close to making a journey that is one thing I cannot afford...

So should I play it safe and just do a drain?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Dump n fill is plenty fine. Takes about 8 quarts. Change the external filter so. Drop the pan to clean the magnet.

Josh

Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
There have been two very long threads on this subject in the last few months. My opinion is the flush is the way to go, however you may have a hard time finding a shop with a HOT flush machine. It's necessary to preheat the fresh fluid going in to keep the thermostat in the trans open. If it closes during the flush you wil be dumping your fresh fluid and old fluid will be trapped in the trans.

A few options were posted from preheating the fluid in the oven or a gas fish cooker to blowing compressed air through the cooler and lines to get more fluid out but they seem like a lot of effort for little return or downright dangerous.

Another option many seemed to like was to install an newer model trans pan and filter. Better filtering and a bit more fluid capacity.

I think in the absence of a hot flush machine, dropping 9ish quarts and replacing the inline filter can keep you trans working fine but it's important to keep an eye on the condition of the fluid as well as level. Any darkening that could indicate the fluid has been overheated should be flushed reguardless of where your at on your schedule.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Blowing with Compressed air at the Toilet paper filter housing got me 4 more qts Out for a Total of 12 qts out

Its worth it IMO

Just clears the Lines and Both Coolers

Never Heard of the FISH COOKER Rusty I get the Concept though

Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM
SixGunCaliforniaKid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
There have been two very long threads on this subject in the last few months. My opinion is the flush is the way to go, however you may have a hard time finding a shop with a HOT flush machine. It's necessary to preheat the fresh fluid going in to keep the thermostat in the trans open. If it closes during the flush you wil be dumping your fresh fluid and old fluid will be trapped in the trans.

A few options were posted from preheating the fluid in the oven or a gas fish cooker to blowing compressed air through the cooler and lines to get more fluid out but they seem like a lot of effort for little return or downright dangerous.

Another option many seemed to like was to install an newer model trans pan and filter. Better filtering and a bit more fluid capacity.

I think in the absence of a hot flush machine, dropping 9ish quarts and replacing the inline filter can keep you trans working fine but it's important to keep an eye on the condition of the fluid as well as level. Any darkening that could indicate the fluid has been overheated should be flushed reguardless of where your at on your schedule.
Solid copy on that, the fluid it's good and bright red, even with how hard I am on automatics..
I'll look into the newer pan.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I am in the dump and fill camp, FWIW.

Just wondering, what year and miles on your truck