Been a few years in the making. Bought the parts about 2 years ago, installed the front mount heat exchanger about a year ago, just now getting to the plumbing and Spyder install.
One thing that I did not see mentioned in all the things I have read online was that the vacuum ports and air temp sensor hole would have to be shaved and plugged. I got a 3/8" plug for the air temp sensor and removed the vacuum line fittings and drilled and tapped for 1/8" pipe plugs.
So did the early 99 spyder and a 2000ish 7.3 heat exchanger. I got the piping and everything from the 2000 and decided to use the stock Ford stuff as much as I could.
I finished mocking up the tubing tonight and used parts of the Superduty tubes to help with the fabrication. Didn't take much pipe at all and now I am left with a bunch of extra 3" tubing but I think it came out pretty decent.
Will finish welding the tubing tomorrow and hopefully get the thing running again! Blue painters tape should hold 20psi of boost right?
That looks really good! I would be really interested to hear exactly what you added to the SD pipes to make them work for this application. I picked up a set of pipes and a spyder a couple weeks ago for this install at some point. My trouble is that the pipes I found were aluminum. I'm not above scrapping them completely and building my own plumbing, but if the modifications to the pipes aren't that bad, I may just buy some tubing and bends and get it all TIG welded up.
--Nate "Just a redneck geek"
1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.
Yeah I cut all of this using a hand hacksaw and some sand paper on a table and a hose clamp, LOL. Anyone should be able to make these it just takes some patience. I will get some pictures of the pipes when I have them out for welding later today. Basicallly the only thing left that is SD pipe is the two top parts pictured and the lower parts that connect to the silicone couplings. The ford pipes have a nice grove around them that kind of locks into the coupler so I wanted to keep that.
Just finished the cold side pipe. The part that connects to the spyder is the SD pipe. I cut it where you see the first peice of tape in the pictures above. I then cut the grooved end off the left over part and welded it to the part that connects to the I/C. Used two 90* 3" aluminum bends.
Going to head out and finish the other side after lunch!
yea! when i bought my tig i thought i didnt need to do any alluminum work..yea,should have done the ac tig
1996 f-350 cclbsrw4x4 psd build it yourself and save
d.i.y. efuel with gsl392 and aeromotive regulator. t-500,6.0 IC ,d.i.y. s468 turbo & kit, flat plenums. 225/100 stroked a code rosewoods, head studs,smith bros push rods,comp springs,4" recycled,used,reclaimed exhaust. just a collection of trash repourpsed.
sky 3" rsk with bilstein 5125 shocks
and a bunch of crap my wife does not need to know about lol
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.