Tried several things but my pics are sideways? Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 AM
50SICKS
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Tried several things but my pics are sideways? Help

I've resized my pics to under 50 kb or lower but my avatar and pics are sideways guess I'm a dummy. I've Read most of the pic threads. But can't figure it out. Any help would be great

Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 PM
50SICKS
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have any suggestions ?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:41 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Looks like the software you used has it saved that way. Can you rotate the pic in that software then upload again?

Old 02-02-2014, 02:40 AM
HeaveyDutyMan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to where you got pic stored on computer and put mouse on it and right click it and use the rotate clockwise from popup menu and save it.. then repost to your profile avatar

Old 01-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,327 Likes on 1,744 Posts
The problem isn't in my computer. The photo doesn't rotate until it gets to FTE.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
iPhone 4?
10 chars

Old 01-17-2016, 02:04 AM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by ctubutis
iPhone 4?
10 chars

No.
Canon camera.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 AM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
No.
Canon camera.
Huh...

OK... Do some Google research on this and see what pertains to you and how you're doing it and see if you can't find a way to deal with what's happening:

Let me google that for you

What you are interested in reading about is the EXIF tag.

I know Apple had implemented some stuff in earlier phones that pissed people off, no idea about Canon.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Y2KW57
Almost all 300+ photos in my FTE albums were shot with the exact same camera, and cropped with the exact same software (a bare bones Microsoft photo editor built into Office).

It is only certain photos or days that FTE's software decides to rotate the photos. On the day that I posted three photos on CCV filters, FTE's software decided to rotate them.

I deleted them all, and then instead of resizing them to 800 pixels wide, I compressed them to 272kb in size, to let FTE resize them automatically yet still keep the file size contained. Again, on that day, FTE's software rotated the photos to portrait instead of landscape.

So, using the same camera that shot almost 300 other photos that were uploaded successfully without FTE's software rotating them, I was unable to get these 3 photos to post on FTE in the same way that they display on my Windows computer.

Apple is not involved.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:57 AM
ctubutis
**plonk***

Old 04-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Y2KW57
This still remains an unresolved problem, that is 100% FTE's relatively new (2 years?) photo display system. Photos display in correct orientation on every other device, webpage, computer, program, etc. It is ONLY when uploading the photo to FTE that the image can be rotated sideways.

Since I'm not the OP and I have the same problem, then that is proof that this problem is occurring with more than one person. Can someone at IB actually look into the problem? Responding with the word "PLONK" (whatever that is supposed to mean) isn't helping.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Y2KW57
This STILL remains an unanswered concern.

After encountering the same issue today, I searched and found that several other forum administrators have posted about this concern on both php software and vbulletin software user forums. Since those forums are only open to customers who purchase the respective forum software, I could not engage with the participants in that discussion. But it was eye opening to learn that Internet Brands isn't the only forum software customer with this issue.

It was also shocking to read the flippant and dismissive attitudes of the software developers who remain unresponsive to the complaints of their own customers. They come across like know it alls, and refuse to acknowledge that there really is a bug in the software that rotates images 90 degrees.

They *THINK* the problem is generally limited to the image orientation tags of iPhones, so they blame Apple. However, enough reading about the issue has confirmed that the problem exists with other images that were not taken with an iPhone, or any Apple device period.

Take my images for example. They were initially shot in landscape format with a 40 year old all manual exposure Nikon FILM camera. That's right. FILM. Not a phone. The film was developed, and processed into C41 prints, in landscape format. Then, the prints were rephotographed, again in landscape mode, with a Canon digital camera. Those landscape oriented images were fed into a Windows computer, and downsized for web using Microsoft software, again in landscape mode. At no point was an Apple device of any kind involved. At no point did the picture appear in any format, including film, print, camera, digital, screen, computer, or software program... other than in landscape format.

It was ONLY when the image was uploaded into the forum album that it suddenly became rotated 90 degrees sideways into portrait mode. And as it turns out, the OP of this thread, and myself, are not alone. This has been happening (and being complained about) all over the web. And yet the authors of the vbulletin software state it is a "very low priority" for them to fix it (as of version 5).

All they really need to do is code a provision for users to reorient their photos once uploaded onto the forum, if they can't fix why the forum software rotates them in the first place. But according to the chatter I read, that too, is too low of a priority.

So, I found a fix.

Open the jpegs in Paint, and save them as PNG files. Upload the PNG files to the forum, and they orient correctly as intended. I just tested this today. Nothing else I tried worked, including stripping the exif data altogether, changing aspect ratios, adjusting the pixel widths, saving as bitmap files, etc. Nothing worked. But converting the original jpeg files, with no other changes, into PNG files, DID work successfully.

Something needs changing at the forum software level. Most people don't bother with it, and post their pics on Flickr, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. Yet forum administrators recognize that they lose valuable traffic when users do this. Here's an example why:

When I conduct a search to learn or solve something mechanical, I will quite often use Google's IMAGE search FIRST, rather than "ALL". The image search tool is a much faster way to weed through all the hits. Since the first few pages of google results prioritize advertisers and commerce, the images provide a short cut, because it is easy to tell the difference between a photo shot by regular person who fixed their mechanical problem, versus an advertising photo.

And it was precisely in this manner that I found FTE. I was a member on another Ford truck oriented forum, but all my image searches kept turning up FTE over and over again. I finally realized that FTE was the place to be. To pay it forward, I post images on FTE, rather than Photobucket, in order to draw in like minded individuals who have an interest in solving their own problems, because while they may have found my pictures helpful, they might also post their own pictures, which I in turn will find helpful.

If all the photos I found in my google searches were hosted on Photobucket, rather than FTE, then I would have been less likely to join FTE, as the previous forum I participated in was (at the time) good enough. I wouldn't have looked for something better. And that is one reason why it might behoove the interests of FTE to nudge the authors of the forum bulletin software to fix the image posting BUG that they don't currently seem to have an adequate enough incentive to prioritize.